SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Fitting New Look 6000 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fitting New Look 6000
Pattern alteration
marleyzhipz
marleyzhipz
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 9:07 PM

I'm just learning to alter patterns even though I have sewn for over 40 years. So, per Nancy Zieman, I measure size 12 from armpit to armpit. I had to add 5/8 to each side for bust enlargement and a total of 8 1/2 inches to waist and hips. When I pivoted for the first bust increase, it takes the armhole out to a larger size, defeating the purpose of using size 12 that fits me NOWHERE else. I am not sure if I should just take the width back to the original size 12 and leave the sides increased or possibly a full bust alteration would have been better in that area. I wear a D bra, but I only measure an inch or less from high bust to full bust. The waist and hip alteration worked fine.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 11:27 PM

Don't know how much difference this will make, but aren't you supposed to measure from the crease at upper chest from one side to the other, not armpit to armpit?

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

marleyzhipz
marleyzhipz
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 10/31/12 11:38 PM

yes, you are right. I used the incorrect wording.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 11/1/12 0:46 AM

Despite the d cup, if you measure less than 1" between full and high bust, are you sure an fba is necessary?

------
Melanie

marleyzhipz
marleyzhipz
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

In reply to meleliza <<

Date: 11/1/12 8:08 AM

I'm not sure what I need. I know I don't need it wider from armscye to armscye, but when I slit my muslin, it pulls apart across the bust about 1/2 in. Frustrated.

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

Date: 11/1/12 8:56 AM

I have actually taken a class on this book. When you put the pin in at the shoulder/sleeve seam, and then pivot out the 5/8 inch, the armhole stays exactly the same size, you are only rotating it out which will allow more area in the bust. The arc size of the armhole remains the same.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

marleyzhipz
marleyzhipz
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

In reply to VivianZ <<

Date: 11/1/12 12:56 PM

Yes, the armhole size stays the same, but my problem is the width from the crease of each arm. I cut out a size 12 and do the pivots and when I put the pattern back to the original size 12, the WIDTH has changed to that of a size 14.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to marleyzhipz <<

Date: 11/1/12 2:49 PM

Now I see what you're saying. I have to increase the back and get the same thing. I need the extra at the "back bust", but swinging out gives me excess at the mid back where I don't need it, so I've decided that I may have to give up on this system and go for another.

The next thing I'm going to try before fully giving up on this system is to move the back armhole inward and pivot from there. Thus the increase will be needed. I don't know---can I fool the pivot-and-slide system? LOL

------

marleyzhipz
marleyzhipz
Member since 5/20/12
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 11/1/12 3:55 PM

I noticed in a book today, you can slash vertically and horizontally in the shoulder/armscye area and move than section in to make that high bust area narrower...so, maybe I should use a pattern size according to my high bust measurement and do that adjustment above the bust.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to marleyzhipz <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/1/12 4:29 PM

Try it. I've concluded that if it works, then it's the correct way to do it. LOL

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Fitting New Look 6000

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Burda 7201

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.