Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Yahoo Groups ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Yahoo Groups
DOGLOVER389
DOGLOVER389
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/11/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/1/12 10:44 PM

Hi All,

I decided to check out Freecycle after seeing the bolt of fabric mentioned in another post. I found my county is participating in this program. There is a link that says "Visit the ______ County group and see the posts," but when I click on that link all I get is a page that has some rules on it.

There is mention of a .pdf with the guidelines for this particular county group "on the main page" but there isn't a link or anyway to find that file.

On the left there is a tab that says "settings." One of the group setting rules is that members can NOT hide their email address.

I have never joined a yahoo group, primarily for the reasons that using their site is NOT friendly. There is NO information to be had prior to joining. I don't like joining things without first having a clue as to how a site works.

Why can't you hide your email address? I don't like publicizing my email address. Why does yahoo restrict one's privacy in that regard?

I would appreciate any information you can provide about yahoo groups.

Right now I find anything yahoo to be extremely frustrating and not worth the aggravation.

There is a lot of good I would like to do and a lot I would like to share with others. It just shouldn't come with so much frustration and aggravation.

Many thanx,

DogLover389

------
Cut my teeth on a Kenmore 117.58

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/PictPage/1922064294.html

Singer Merritt 9612

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to DOGLOVER389 <<

Date: 11/1/12 11:48 PM

I am an avid Yahoo grouper (or should I say, "groupie") And they all require an email address. However, the email address I use is specifically for my groups; not my personal friends, not my online purchases--just for the groups.

I too belong to Freecycle and have to divulge my email address, mostly so people know how to get ahold of me. It's not my personal phone number nor is it my street address. I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable; TMI (too much information) is given out these days--it's one of the reasons why I'm against Facebook. With that said, why not create a Yahoo email address just for the groups you're a part of?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04

In reply to DOGLOVER389 <<

Date: 11/2/12 9:35 AM

Like Miss Fairchild, I have a Yahoo email address I created and use exclusively for Yahoo Groups. The amount of SPAM that address gets is disgusting, so good thing I don't use my regular email address.

Be sure to also surf around for the preference settings, nicely hidden away (like Facebook), so that your 'dedicated' email address doesn't get sold, or somesuch annoyance.

Yahoo Groups are really helpful and great resources of information for various interests. We just have to know how to cross the street safely, look both ways first, etc.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/2/12 11:18 AM

I agree that the yahoo groups format is klutzy and the email address thing ...lack of privacy ...is a big issue for me too. BUT having a junk email address is great and never use your real name nor real address nor real birth date...I have a bogus person whose birth date is 1/1/1901...for whenever I get that question asked

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10

Date: 11/2/12 11:31 AM

Yeah, I have a separate "person" with a fake name, birth date, and email address I use for things I want to keep private. There's no reason to spread stuff around that you don't want to.

I belong to our local Free-cycle Yahoo group, and it's rare that I see something that I want, but it sure is handy when I do. I got a beautiful, enormous ficus last month.

Another thing that you can do is set up Google Reader to run a custom Craigslist search so that you get automatically notified of things that you want on Craiglist without taking the time to search it every day. Also very handy. I've found great deals on lots of clothes for my little one.

I also belong to a Yahoo Group that is run by our state teachers of the visually impaired (I'm studying to be one), and that group is quite handy. Them, I gave my real name and address to.

I think a good Internet rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't say it to your mother or your minister, don't write it on the Internet. That goes for photos, too.

DOGLOVER389
DOGLOVER389
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/11/12

Date: 11/2/12 1:02 PM

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

I don't give out my name or real DOB. I like that you use 1901. :)

I do have an account just for spam, so I will use that, thanx to your suggestions.

It would be nice if you could actually *see* the groups before joining. I don't know why yahoo thinks they need to keep things so mysterious.

Many thanx,

DogLover389

------
Cut my teeth on a Kenmore 117.58

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/PictPage/1922064294.html

Singer Merritt 9612

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09

Date: 11/2/12 1:40 PM

I joined a few yahoo groups a couple years ago, but hardly post or visit them. One was the Freecycle, and I thought that was the only one that asked for an address to verify which group you would be able to join. I've never posted to it though and instead donated the items to charity. I also thought that only the group moderator needed your email address and that you could set your preferences to only have emails come from the mod, and not the other members (and it kept your addy hidden). It sounds like things have changed if they now show your addy, which I definitely wouldn't like, as it's my real one. I may have to log in and see what's up on yahoo (hopefully not my addy) LOL

Didn't know you could lie about the info either - wish I had known that too.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08

In reply to hazelnut <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/2/12 3:29 PM

The only drawback I can see to lying is if the only possible way left to retrieve your account is to send them a copy of your driver's licence to prove that it is indeed you. Whoops. I doubt it would say "ChnknLovr" (or whatever) on the license.

You can set up any of your e-mail addresses for each group. It's where you will get a copy of messages to the group (if you have it set up that way) and that's the address that will show for anyone getting messages to their e-mail.

You will see the e-mail address you use at the group's site on the messages you post but only you see that.

Oh, yeah, about the lying: make certain you write down somewhere the lies you wrote, such as date of birth and "real" name, as well as answers to the Security Questions, as you might need those some day.

------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate

Update: soon I will decide when I will begin procrastinating.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 11/2/12 5:42 PM

Thanks GL I also need to set up a yahoo or gmail email acct. I tried to create a yahoo email acct when I first joined yahoo, but was unsuccessful in getting it to work. It kept coming back as "not verified" or something like that. Since I didn't want to give my personal info to join most other sites, I solve the problem by not signing up or registering at all - but that definitely limits the usefulness of the Internet.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 11/2/12 6:23 PM

"Not Verified" usually means that you did not confirm your alternate e-mail address with Yahoo. They send a notice to the e-mail you provide (preferably a non-Yahoo account) and by replying (more like clicking on a link) you verify that that is your alternate address, that everything is on the level, and that you did create that e-mail address. Alternate e-mail addresses are good in case you can't get in your Yahoo (or other) e-mail and they will send info to your alternate.)

------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate

Update: soon I will decide when I will begin procrastinating.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Yahoo Groups

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

Pate Meadows Cuff-top valance
photo
Review by halleyscom... on 6/15/08
Read Review

Vogue 1383 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Vogue 1383 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2215 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Simplicity 2215 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns V8507
photo
Review by MaryBeth on 8/13/08
Read Review

Oliver + S Music Class Blouse + Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )
Oliver + S Music Class Blouse + Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket + A-Line Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )
Oliver + S Sunday Brunch Jacket + A-Line Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)
Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern
Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN