Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Walking foot ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Walking foot
JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 4/20/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/2/12 8:42 AM

I have a Kenmore 18221 and am thinking about purchasing a walking foot. I do my own machine quilting for purses and totes. I'm not a quilter, but can get by with this sort of thing. I have heard that a walking foot is very helpful when sewing the "sandwich". I have never been able to get the bottom and top to come out even after I've done the quilting. My question: Is there a certain type of walking foot that I should use? I've been on line and found walking feet for this machine, but there seems to be different types. I'm super tight with a dollar and don't want to go into a lot of expense. Any suggestions?

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/2/12 11:11 AM

Choose according to the type of shank on the sewing machine the foot is intended for; high shank, low shank or slant shank.

I prefer a foot with an open toe and wide needle opening so you can move the needle position (if the machine has this option) and zig-zag stitching.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 11/2/12 1:05 PM

JTink,
Hi, how have you been! I don't quilt either, but puchased the walking foot for my 16231 (which I believe is almost identical to your SM) to sew knits without stretching out the hems...and it works great BTW. When I ordered mine from Sears, there were only 2 types available, one for horizontal bobbin and one for vertical bobbin machines. You could purchase just the Wfoot or, for another $5 or 10, get the Walking foot with the quilting bar, the "stitch-in-the-ditch" foot, the darning foot and the clear plastic open-toe craft foot - I purchased the 4 in 1 package. If you have the top, drop-in bobbin, then you need the Walking foot for horizontal machines. My WF has a large open toe. I've only used it once to sew 2 different fabrics together (slippery nylon and fleece) and it worked nicely once I got the presser foot pressure set correctly. However, I have no idea how much more helpful it would be for sandwich quilting. Hopefully someone else does.

Don't know if Sears still sells them, but the # on the box was: 20 6702. It would be a pity if you had to pay more for the Janome foot, but perhaps they have more options.
------------------------
ETA here's the link Kenmore WF and wow!it's almost doubled in price. When I purchased mine it was $29.95 for the set and the WFoot alone was Either $19.95 or $24.95 - can't remember, so getting 3 more feet, (esp. 2 feet that I thought I would and *do* use) was the better choice. Someone must be selling it for less - can't believe the price went up that much in less than 2 years! I'd definitely be waiting for some sort of sale - I can see why you are questioning the need (and which one) before purchasing.

Hmm, I also see that they are still selling the Wfoot alone for $20 and with the bar for $25, so I *really* don't understand why the WF package jumped up so much in price.

-- Edited on 11/2/12 2:04 PM --

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 4/20/08

Date: 11/2/12 6:55 PM

Thanks ladies. I've been trying to justify purchasing one of these. I've been sewing for so long with out all the "speciality" feet and feel like I'm wimping out when I do purchase one(like the rolled hem foot fiasco)

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 11/2/12 7:42 PM

A walking foot is more than likely the most expensive foot you'll ever own. I have one for my Singer slants ($25+), one for my Janome ($20+) and I've seen then for Berninas at $45+.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

AminaHijabi
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10

Date: 11/2/12 11:29 PM

Its totally worth it. What's really great is the Janome convertable walking foot set. It has guide for stitch in the ditch which is really nice. You have a low shank horizontal hook (horizontal bobbin) machine. And your machine takes Janome feet. Very worth the price.

HowSewBlogger

HowSewBlogger
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/1/08

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 11/3/12 0:10 AM

JTink,

I am not sure about the type of walking foot appropriate for your machine, but I have a walking foot and it works very nicely. I had mostly used it for sewing knits, but recently, I made a baby quilt where I used it. (I am not a quilter normally.) I tried quilting the "sandwich" with the regular foot, and the layers didn't line up at all, not even close. When I ripped out the stitches and quilted the "sandwich" with the walking foot, it made a HUGE difference.

I think I would have tossed the quilt project out of frustration had I not tried using the walking foot on it.

I find the walking foot to be quite useful.

------
http://howsew.blogspot.com/

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11

Date: 11/3/12 0:19 AM

I had a walking foot once and it worked nice

- but, It made a lot of noise and that bothered me at the time -- I still used it, but wanted to bring up the noise part in case you are sensitive to noise.

------
Quilting up a storm!

sewgramma

sewgramma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 12/1/07

In reply to PortlandMaine <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/3/12 1:47 AM

Oh, I know what you mean about noisy walking feet. The one for my Bernina is noisy & also big & clunky....works great though. You said you had a walking foot once...so you don't use one now? If not, how do you avoid puckers when quilting your sandwich? I'm a total newbie at quilting & have only made a couple of them. I've just done channel type quilting so far & have had trouble with some puckering even with a walking foot. Oh, maybe I missed it somewhere, but maybe you FMQ so you don't need a walking foot. I wanna know your tricks dude!

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11

Date: 11/3/12 2:23 AM

Hey you -

I had a walking foot on my first Viking - then had a few Pfaff's with IDT and did lots of channel quilting with those machine and the IDT engaged!

I dont use a walking foot on the Grand Quilter - its the only machine I have now - I still channel quilt sometimes -- I find If the foot pressure is a little lower than usual there are less top puckers - and if the quilt is supported well so the machine is really just moving the quilt across the feed dogs instead of having to pull the quilt though the machine -- does that describe a difference?

I also usually support the quilt weight by putting a table beside my chair on the left when I quilt ..

I also notice that doing a good press helps -

For keeping the bottom good -- well, good feeding helps -- I dont really pin -- (though Im sorta starting to pin baste) .. and fibers that are like fibers sorta cling together - that helps keep bottoms flat --

I liked the feeding on all of the machines Ive had -- 9mm and SS -- I cant say I notice a huge diff --

I hope any of that helps?? Its 230am here -- Im sleepy!

------
Quilting up a storm!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Walking foot

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Simplicity 3677
photo
Review by suliabryon on 7/22/09
Read Review

Vogue 1237 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )
Vogue 1237 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2938 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )
Simplicity 2938 Pattern ( Size 10-12-14-16-18 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 8209
photo
Review by Annette1 on 3/22/08
Read Review

Salme Yoke Blouse Digital Pattern
Salme Yoke Blouse Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Everyday skirt Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Everyday skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Totpacks Pattern
SewBaby Totpacks Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN