SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing for Petite Sizes > Long skirts for short people? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Long skirts for short people?
Full-length skirts on petites
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 11/2/12 2:11 PM

Last summer, my 5'1" daughter bought herself a long skirt, and was really surprised to discover that it made her look taller. I've read this elsewhere in the meantime -- that mid-calf length skirts make petites look shorter, but full-length skirts make them look taller. I've never tried this, but I might try making an ankle-length skirt to wear around the house in the winter and see how it goes. I'm still hesitating, though -- I can't picture that a long skirt would look good on a middle(+)-aged short, not slim person. Have any of you tried this and liked it?

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

J H
J H
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/5/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/2/12 2:30 PM

I wear long skirts all the time

I've found that my best length is above my ankle, longer than that makes me look dumpy.

I'm 61, 5ft 4ins and somewhat on the wide side (I wish I could say wild side but that would be something else entirely )

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 11/2/12 2:31 PM

Hmmm. I'm 5'9", and I love my ankle length skirts. I do know that mid-calf lengths are pretty much universally unflattering.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/2/12 2:41 PM

A long skirt is the only type I wear now, and I fit your description. I look short, squat and fat in a knee-length skirt, like I'm chopped into thirds. My legs are too short for the rest of my body, and since my knees are usually swollen (one perpetually), I'm always in flat shoes. When I was young and thin I still liked the look of a full-length skirt or dress to help lengthen me - it was either full-length or mini back then.

I would be apt to wear a midi-length with full boots though, if the outfit looked right to me. Haven't needed to do that in years, but wore that look often when I was working.

Trinity.
starstar
Trinity.
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 10/9/05
Send Message

Date: 11/2/12 2:45 PM

I couldn't believe how long skirts made me look so much taller, either. I had people who had only ever seen me in pictures tell me they had no idea I was only 5'2" since I didn't look that short.

I love the way they look, I think they're flattering on just about everybody. The only trouble I have with them is that I trip up the stairs when I forget to pick them up

------
Trinity

http://thimblesthreadsandneedles.blogspot.com/

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 11/2/12 4:03 PM

I am 5'2" and I wear long skirts in the winter for warmth. Not quite ankle-length, but long enough to overlap my boots and not leave any leg exposed to the wind.

They are usually fitted at the hip and ALWAYS full at the bottom, for movement's sake. I like a bottom hem about 80-100 inches. I like Loes Hines Gore Skirts and Butterick 4136 (this one is longer on me than on the model)

I don't know if they make me look any taller, but I like the way they look :)

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 11/2/12 4:07 PM

Quote:
I fit your description. I look short, squat and fat in a knee-length skirt

Not sure how to take that, lol. I actually like knee-length skirts (just a tad below the knee -- but if my knees were still nice, I'd wear them just above the knee, too). However, any skirt that hits closer to mid-calf looks totally frumpy on me.

I like that "above the ankle" idea. I find capris look good on me if they hit anywhere between the ankle and just below the calf muscle, so this would probably be true of a skirt, too.

------

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Trinity. <<

Date: 11/2/12 4:12 PM

Quote:
The only trouble I have with them is that I trip up the stairs when I forget to pick them up

Well, there is that. I actually like doing that "lifting skirt to walk" thing -- sort of dramatic and elegant, like you're a lady from the 19th century. (swish, swish, swish -- lol)

-- Edited on 11/2/12 4:12 PM --

------

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/2/12 4:44 PM

Quote:
Not sure how to take that, lol
I'm speaking for myself only here! LOL Many of us can be the same height, but with different proportions. I have a 3" shorter inseam (mines 26.5") than my good friend and we are the same height. She always looks nice in a knee-length skirt, I don't. I think FFRP has a page or two that talks about "same height, different proportions" regarding true petites vs. short. I'm a short, not a true petite.

Capri's look lousy on me, particularly the longer ones - they look like "high-waters". I don't have shapely legs any more, so it's best to cover them. I carry too much fluid in them now. Years ago, I liked all different lengths, but probably disliked the midi most on me, except when wearing boots - I didn't look chopped up but had more of a continuous line from floor to waist. Funny, I live in shorts all summer, and only have 2 pairs of capris.

I keep saying I need to make some skirts, and I really do. But since I rarely go out, I'm not real motivated... until of course I need one! LOL I only have one rayon skirt that fits nicely (it became ankle-length after laundering, so I didn't have to hem it ) - I should clone it somehow.
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 11/2/12 4:54 PM

Quote:
I keep saying I need to make some skirts, and I really do. But since I rarely go out, I'm not real motivated...

This long skirt idea actually came to me this morning when I was getting dressed -- I put on a skirt, mostly because my casual pants are in need of washing, but I also like wearing casual skirts in place of pants sometimes. Anyway, that's when it hit me that wearing knee-length skirts around the house in the winter will mean wearing tights too. And I'm not about to get all dressed up just to walk around the house.

I'm not actually sure I'd wear a long skirt anywhere BUT at home. But that's just me being timid.

-- Edited on 11/2/12 4:58 PM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing for Petite Sizes >> Long skirts for short people?

Merchants on PR

The Smuggler's Daughter

Online Fabric Store
Web site

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Simplicity 3626

photo
by: PostMuse

Review
Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern

More Info
ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.