SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Will never buy fabric from Joann's online again! ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Will never buy fabric from Joann's online again!
Why did I think this would go well...
heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 11/4/12 12:04 PM

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but annoying just the same!

Well, I've LOOKED online occasionally for home dec fabric on Joann's website and I've always noted how their pics are TERRIBLE! They have one flat square which is supposed to show you what you're buying. But they were having a 60% off sale plus free shipping and I thought I'd give it a go....

Well, I bought 4 different fabrics, about 1-2 yds of each for throw pillows.... well, the solid fabric I bought which was supposed to be a kind of tan/brown color actually arrived looking like cat-sh*t yellow/brown... not AT ALL what it looked like online or what I wanted. One of the prints wasn't what I thought it would be either (2 out of 4 - could be worse)... so I take the fabric to my local JA to return and you CANNOT return online stuff in the store?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, I've shopped online since it has been around and I've never had a place tell me I can't return the stuff purchased online in a brick & mortar store! So, now I have to package up and pay for return shipping to get rid of the stuff I never should have bought in the first place! I should have known better with only that stupid little 1x1" pic that doesn't even show the texture of the fabric!

Oh well, just putting a little warning out there that I wouldn't recommend buying fabric from JA online UNLESS you know exactly what you're ordering and have seen it in person prior to purchasing.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Will never buy fabric from Joanns online again! Date: 11/4/12 12:54 PM

Have you calibrated your computer monitor?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Subject: Will never buy fabric from Joanns online again! Date: 11/4/12 1:23 PM

I've had my own issues with Joann, but it does say very clearly on their site that items ordered at Joann.com can't be returned to a store.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 11/4/12 1:24 PM

Quote: heathergwo
arrived looking like cat-sh*t yellow/brown...

Your vivid description has me rolling

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Joanne's, Heather. Always a big hassle to have to ship stuff back. I've had pretty good luck ordering fabrics on line but I've never tried Joanne's. Probably won't since the swatches aren't that detailed.

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Subject: Will never buy fabric from Joanns online again! Date: 11/4/12 2:46 PM

That stinks...can you use it for muslins?

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 11/4/12 2:51 PM

Quote:
That stinks...

as does cat sh*t

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 11/4/12 3:05 PM

Well I only have myself to blame...
Went into my local JoAnn's last week because I needed some flannel to make the flannel shirt discussed in another thread.
They had lots but most was kiddy designs. So in desperation I picked a blue and white mini check and bought 2- yards for my shirt.
When I got home I procedded to serge the cut ends prior to washing and I couldn't belive what poor quality it was. Barely any nap to it at all. Thin and cheap looking. I shouldn't have bought it but it was all they had and I have no other fabric stores here other than just the quilt shops.
Like I said, I'm to blame. Shoulda passed it up and bought something online instead.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 11/4/12 3:28 PM

I was in JoAnn's today and was also looking for flannel (maybe to make the same flannel shirt mentioned in the other thread). JA's fabric can vary alot in quality. They had an apparel line which seems ok but it wasn't on sale. I might get if it goes on sale soon.
Heather, so sorry about your fabric but your experience is exactly why I won't buy fabric online from any merchant. I know many people on here talk about the deals they get online. However, I am afraid of what I will get. So I buy from Hancocks and JA's. I do think overall Hancocks has better quality fabric but thye are more limited in types of fabric and I have no idea about from Hancock online.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/4/12 4:08 PM

Heather, I love your go-for-it approach. Too bad it backfired on you this time. I have a hard enough time buying fabric at Joann's in person. Really have to check each bolt for quality, how it's rolled and maybe knocked the grain off kilter. Plus they have that medieval torturous signage that even confuses the employees. The best success I've had buying on line is quite limited and I always get swatches first. They may be out by the time I order, but somehow I never run out of fabric stash! I may even be running out of places to hide, ahem, I mean store it.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 11/4/12 10:28 PM

It's too bad the color wasn't what you thought.

One of the best tips I've ever come across concerning computer monitors, color and fabric was to use a printer and print the color swatch. Monitors will display colors differently. This tip was from Ann of Gorgeous Fabrics. I've done this a few times and it's been more reliable and accurate than the color displayed on the monitor.HTH

Debbie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Will never buy fabric from Joann's online again!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Coat

photo
by: Lisa Laree

Review
BurdaStyle Downloadable 114A Top

photo
by: DianaSewLe...

Review
Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Little Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Long & Short Caftans

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.