SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Lining batik ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Lining batik
Does lining/interlining batik soften its hand?
Kay Ellen
Kay Ellen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/4/06
Send Message

Date: 11/5/12 4:32 PM

Has anyone out there tried lining cotton batik with something soft and silky to get a softer hand? I want to make a Little Something Jacket (http://www.fabricessentials.com/shop/Patterns/Clothing/p/A-Little-Somethin-Jacket-sku-A%20Little%20Something%20Jacket%20-%20CNT2501.htm), and I want to soften the hand of my fabric to make it more like a washable rayon. Does anyone have any ideas and/or experience with this? Would a normal lining fabric accomplish this? Thank you all in advance!
-- Edited on 11/5/12 4:32 PM --

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Kay Ellen <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/6/12 8:43 AM

Kay, I hate to say this, but it is very difficult to get stiff fabric to be drapey....You can try multiple washes. Sometimes batik has residual wax that can be very tricky to get out, or the base fabric is a mid-lower quality and has little drape.

Underlining is not going to soften, but could actually make it less drapey.

One possibility is to cut it on the bias, but with wider seam allowances,b/c when bias hangs it can "narrow" so you may need more width than if cut on the straight grain.

JMHO, I would be curious if anyone out there has a different option. Good Luck!

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Kay Ellen <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/6/12 3:52 PM

I'm with Andi on this. Linings are used to give fabric extra body, not to make them drape better or to make them softer. If excess wax is the problem, Dharma Trading company has step by step instructions for batiking fabric including options for removing wax (see the last step in the process at http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/batik.html ). Often with fabric you just have to work with what you have, especially if, like true batik, the fabric has been washed repeatedly in processing.

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/6/12 3:57 PM

Batik is usually stiff because of its dense weave/high thread count. There isn't much that will get it to feel softer and it isn't likely to ever drape well. It will remain crisp like a good set of cotton sheets.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb <<

Date: 11/6/12 4:10 PM

Quote: MNBarb
Batik is usually stiff because of its dense weave/high thread count. There isn't much that will get it to feel softer and it isn't likely to ever drape well. It will remain crisp like a good set of cotton sheets.

Another aspect of cotton batik (in my limited experience) is that sometimes it can be stiff with excess dye. Washing it will remove any wax residue and excess dye (watch for colors running in the wash), and it will be softer after washing (compared to before washing), but it will never, ever be as soft and drapey as rayon.

I agree the comparison to cotton sheets is about right.

CMC
Kay Ellen
Kay Ellen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/4/06
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 11:58 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will look into m/m's suggestion on removing wax. I have the fabric hanging over my dress form and I'm just not sure of it for me. I tend to need/like a bit of a soft drape and I hate to "waste" this beautiful batik on a pattern it might not fit well. The picture on the pattern is using a batik, but I'm guessing it's probably a washable rayon batik and not a cotton batik, llthough the pattern does mention cotton as a possible fabric. I'm trying to use up some of my stash and this fabric would be a beautiful top for a couple of my pants. I'll post and review what I decide and make. Thanks again.

carolynw
starstarstar
carolynw  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/19/05
Send Message

In reply to Kay Ellen <<

Date: 11/7/12 12:58 PM

Besides dressmaking I also do quilting and there are several batiks made by Kaufman, Benatrex, Hoffman and Tonga to mention just a few that while they do have crisp hand (some more so than others) they do make up into wonderful blouses and, depending on the design, shirts for my husband.

They last a long time over many. many washes - are very cool unless you opt for long sleeves. If you have a"high end" batik similar to one of these you have a good chance of making a nice blouse. However, if it is a batik with a lot of wax residue on it I can't offer much help as I have limited and not very happy experience with them.

For information you can contact Hancocks on line or any near-by quilting store.

Hope this helps

Kay Ellen
Kay Ellen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/4/06
Send Message

Date: 11/8/12 11:12 AM

Hi Carolyn,

I did purpose this at a high end batik quilt store north of Dallas TX. I would describe its hand as crisp, but not utterly stiff. When I hang it over my dressform it does hang down in nice folds, which is why I'm on the fence about it. Being cotton, it will stick to pants and any shell I wear under it, unless those fabrics are slicker. The pattern is a jacket-ish top, with no front closures, just hangs open. I've decided to go ahead and give it a try. Worst case scenario if I don't like the drape, I'll cut it up and use it in my quilting :)

Thanks!

carolynw
starstarstar
carolynw  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 3/19/05
Send Message

In reply to Kay Ellen <<

Date: 11/9/12 1:34 PM

Hi Kay

Let me know how it works out - those that I have made did not stick to anything so hope you'll find the same

Kay Ellen
Kay Ellen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/4/06
Send Message

Date: 11/10/12 8:58 AM

Hi Carolyn,

Really? Didn't catch on other fabrics? Mmmm. I bought this batik at Fabric Fanatics north of Dallas. It's a store the carries only quilting batiks, so they are high quality cottons. I'll certainly post when I finish it

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Lining batik

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Burda 7550

photo
by: MNBarb

Review
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

More Info
Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

Sewing Workshop Eureka Top & Skirt

More Info
Vogue Patterns 8854

photo
by: pdiddly

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.