SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Hate when I mess up ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hate when I mess up
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 9:45 AM

I started on this quilt for a dear friend and after one row realized the method I'm using (quilt row as you go) isn't going to work with this. The other quilt I did this was I had used sashing and it worked better and also I used a 1/2 seam allowance can't use sashing with this will mess up design. So I have one row that done and quilted and backed. Which unless I want to spend time un sewing the quilting is useless. I've decided to do it the traditional way do the top then sandwich it but it just became smaller. Was going to be 48" by 64" . Now may be a square lap quilt 48" x 48". I hate when I do this. I just hope I don't lose my enthusiasm for the project as I really want to make this for her.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/7/12 10:01 AM

Could the row you have already quilted but cut into potholders, or placemats? Then you just cut to size and add binding around the edge. Not sure what the design looks like, but it might be neat to have pretty quilted potholder/placemat/tablerunner/etc. Then you can give a lap blanket and some matching accessories and she will not know the wiser.

I did the exact same thing with my jean quilt I am working on. Somehow I got my numbers off on cutting the squares out---I needed 6X8 squares and for some reason I cut 6X4. And I had cut all the jean squares out already. oh I didn't know what to do at first, but then figured out, that it will still work, they'll just be smaller blocks-----I'll just have more squares to sew up to make up the blanket for our bed. (If you want to see it, scroll down until you get to the photos: denim quilt with wrong squares cut)

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Honeybee <<

Date: 11/7/12 10:10 AM

No but I just found this a way to quilt row by row without stitching through the batting and the bulk. This might work.

Quilt as you go

------

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 10:54 AM

Here's another one:

joining quilt blocks - quilt as you go, unsashed

quilt as you go unsashed

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 10:56 AM

Thanks for the link! That is a neat idea! And fast too---or at least she made it seem fast.

I saw that she wasn't doing any additional quilting in between the seams----are you doing any additional quilting?

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 11:33 AM

Oh gosh.. where I understand you especially want a gift for a friend to be top notched.. its the thought that counts too.. I so cherish the items my friends send to me.. I find it hard to even use them.. even the practical ones.. I usually frame them if possible.. because they just mean that much to me.. the fact they thought of me is what means so much.. I bet your friend won't care what size it is.. in fact mini quilts are fabulous too.. and much easier to frame..

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Honeybee <<

Date: 11/7/12 11:39 AM

Yes I will be doing some quilting via embroidery machine and then stitch in the ditch. I can't free motion. I've tried teaching myself but never get very far.

------

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 11/7/12 11:40 AM

Pigling, I will keep that in mind. :)
-- Edited on 11/7/12 11:40 AM --

------

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 12:08 PM

Well, I meant for your REAL friend of course. I am only so glad to hear you have your sewing mojo back..

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/7/12 12:28 PM

You are my real friend. You are on the list, you know what I mean. I'm glad I got my mojo back also. I have so many things I want to make. That's why I'm looking forward to my 9 days off starting on the 17th. Sewing, sewing, sewing. And then Thanksgiving of course.
-- Edited on 11/7/12 12:32 PM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Hate when I mess up

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 2872

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.