SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Flickering sewing machine lights ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Flickering sewing machine lights
while sewing that is...
Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 11:53 AM

Last night, my one sewing machine light bulb I have on my Pfaff 2134 was flickering while I quilted. It's done this the whole life of the machine----and the bulb IS screwed in the whole way, so it's not b/c it isn't screwed in and is about to fall out.

I thought I had a technician told me once when I asked him about it, that that means the motor is requiring more power when it does that. I assumed that he checked it out during it's check up since I told him beforehand, but forgot to test it back home.

And now it's doing it again----am I hurting my machine does anyone know? What do flickering lights mean? The technician since has moved on to servicing other machine brands---but I might still see if he'd still look at my Pfaff next time I'm in his town.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 12:04 PM

It might be your iron, overloading the circuit.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Honeybee <<

Date: 11/7/12 12:07 PM

Sewing heavy material can place a strain on the motor of the sewing machine and cause LCD and lighting power to fluctuate. Are you still working on the lovely denim quilt?

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

In reply to andye <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/7/12 12:19 PM

LOL! I learned my lesson a few years ago when I had my iron and sw plugged into and both ON into a surge protector. I totally burned up DH's surge protector. So I now always just plug the iron into the wall to use it only... :)

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 11/7/12 12:24 PM

Thank you Warbler! Yes I am! and there are times I want to just wait on sewing on it until I get my next sm---wondering if the 750 or PCP would have any of this trouble. So now I am going to also include a mini denim sandwich in my test driving kit for this weekend! I am learning alot as I quilt this quilt on my current machine---like what I don't want in the next etc, so I'll just continue on sewing with my current machine to learn. I can always add more quilting to this blanket with the next machine!

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Honeybee <<

Date: 11/7/12 7:10 PM

If you have flickering lights, it's likely electrical. If your iron is the typical 1800 watts, it should be on it's own circuit, especially if it's a 15 amp circuit. You won't just blow your surge protector, you could also blow the board on the machine.
Likely, the whole room is on one circuit, so plugging the iron into the wall and the machine into a surge protector that is also plugged into the wall on the same circuit isn't really doing much good.
Once I got a separate circuit for the iron, no more flickering lights!

Ask me how I know this!!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 11/7/12 8:26 PM

OOOO!! I will have to remember what you said SouthernStitch!! I have been using my iron and sm plugged into separate wall circuits b/c I thought that was ok---I thought that they didn't effect each other, b/c one was on the west wall and the other on the south wall. Now my iron wasn't plugged in last night, and I usually use them at separate times---but I will have the iron warm up while I finish sewing up a seam. I'm going to have to ask DH if the whole room is on the same circuit....

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 9:20 PM

for normal 120V power, 15 amps is 1800Watts. 20 amps is 2400 Watts.

My iron (a sunbeam steammaster) is 1020 W. My sewing machine is 90W.I also have a computer with 2 monitors, hard drives, lights, and so on. Odds are it's all on one of my 3 Fifteen Amp Lighting and Receptacle Circuits.

And sometimes the lights dim. I used to use an ancient Laserwriter Printer that was 900 W--this was before I took up sewing-- that also dimmed the lights.

There are more than three receptacles in my home. I only have three receptacle circuits in my smallish home. I'm pretty sure that my home is up to code. If I wanted to isolate my iron from my sewing machine, I would pretty much have to iron in a different room, or get some extra circuits put in-- using a second surge suppressor, or a second outlet isn't going to cut it.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/8/12 5:24 AM

More to it than just on same circuit. Am electrician call is about $75. They can look at your circuit box and suggest if increasing the amps or moving to separate circuit or even adding a second box is better solution. Everytime we move we have them come out. Generally runs us $140-175 (includes $75 service call) to install outlets, move, increase amp load or add a second box. Once they replaced the entire box saying it was an accident waiting to happen.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 11/8/12 10:25 AM

SO I just went to check and my iron is 1200W and I think my sewing machine is 75W (there are a few watts listed, but one goes to the bulb I'm guessing and I think the other two listings are 120V=75W or 240V=75 W depending on what country you're in). Also not sure if the light bulb watt is included in the 75W or is in addition to the 75W.

But at any rate, I am below the 1800W so there shouldn't be a problem right?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Flickering sewing machine lights

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

New Look 6030

photo
by: penelopey4

Review
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Favorite Things Sleep Well Pattern

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 199909-1000

photo
by: pinkcatflo...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.