SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Is it time to advance on my own? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is it time to advance on my own?
Sewncooknmom
Sewncooknmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/7/12 3:01 PM

In another thread, somebody asked if she should take a class or not to sew. And it got me to start thinking about myself.

I have been taking a sewing class for about a year. I love it, but I am wondering if it is getting time to part ways with my teacher. Nothing wrong with her. She's great. I've learned a lot from her.

I do want to advance with my sewing skills. But I am wondering if it's time to just start learning more on my own. I should say that I started to learn to sew with books, but then have taken a couple of sewing classes. And now the one that I am taking that I've been in for the last year. I should also add that I do have a friend that I could probably ask for some help if I get stuck on something. Plus you helpful people on PR!

So, I guess I should ask: what have you done to advance your sewing skills? Taken more classes? Read books? If books, which ones? I would love to hear others' take on this.

Thank you!
-- Edited on 11/7/12 3:04 PM --

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 3:15 PM

Personally I learn best by doing it. The more I sewed the more I learned. And then when you come upon something new, check it out here, or in your books, etc. There is certainly plenty of help here and you will find the ways that work best for you. Good luck.

------
Stash: 174.845 yds. @ 12.20.14

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Sewncooknmom <<

Date: 11/7/12 3:33 PM

Books and the Internet are GREAT. If you need to SEE something, you can hunt for it on Youtube!

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 3:38 PM

I agree w/ Patty. I mostly learn by doing. Either a pattern that has something I've never done before (the hardest thing I ever did was the boxy pockets on a safari vest when I was a costumer!). It means there are some basic things I haven't done - for example I'm currently sewing my first princess seams! And others I haven't don much of - the last time I sewed knits was in the 80s when I made a bunch of polo shirts for myself. (I made a poncho for my niece about 6 years ago from polar fleece, but I sewed it the same as I would a woven!)

Having PR is helpful for this kind of learning - the specific reviews tell you if the instructions are helpful or backwards, or not worth reading, or nonexistent.

That said, I have done most of my reading online (tutorials for all kinds of things), and also recently purchased the Colette Sewing Handbook, which I definitely recommend.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/7/12 4:49 PM

I would say, if you're still enjoying your classes and feel you're learning from them, why would you stop?

I am almost entirely Internet-taught--message boards and tutorials. I had been sewing seriously on my own for about five years when I took my first worthwhile class. The teacher has DECADES of experience with garment sewing and quilting, and she owns the shop where I bought my machine, so she's also up to date on all the latest gadgets.

But what's MOST valuable to me about that class is the impetus and motivation to work on a project/projects every single week. I sew more when I'm taking classes, and as Patty said, sewing more = learning more.

I'm hoping to take that class again (it's like an open studio--you bring a project, and the teacher brings her expertise) after the holidays, as motivation to FINALLY use my serger more and work through my stash of knits. Could I figure out how to do that on my own and with help from PR? Sure. But *will* I? I haven't yet, so it's time to sign up for that class again! :)

------
~Gem in the prairie

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/7/12 5:06 PM

I was in a similar position to you a while ago - I had been taking a class, and was wondering 'what next?'

I chose to have a go on my own, and see how I went. I had in the back of my mind that if I got really stuck, I could always go back to the class.
But you know what, going it alone meant I just got on with it, rather than angsting about if I was doing it exactly right. I also got a lot more self-confident with my sewing because I wasn't relying on someone else for validation.

I have since found a MeetUp group in my area that meets once a month for a sewing day. We bring along our projects and machines and just sew whatever we are working on. We can bounce ideas off each other in a supportive environment.

As others have said, there is so much information available on the internet and in books now. Scope out your local library, PR, blogs ..... and see how you go.

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Sewncooknmom <<

Date: 11/7/12 5:13 PM

Stick with online forums and tutorials.

Books have the basics and what was the newest in technology and techniques when the book was written.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 8:48 PM

I used all kinds of methods to learn. I started with a Sewing 101 class, then learned more from a book, then more watching videos online and then a few more classes and more books, etc.

I think it's a great idea to continue to push yourself, good luck!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 11/8/12 1:33 AM

For me the class is the way to go. If I want to try something new I over analyse, think it through too much, seek more knowledge etc In the end it gets done, but I am not having a happy time getting there.

My teacher is great in pushing without being pushy. Liek yesterday I told her how I wanted a pattern changed and asked if it was possible and could she help me. Yes to both and then told me the best way to proceed, which was even better than my original idea. Having the class makes me want to try new things as I know I can ask if stuck.

The second thing class does is keep my mojo going. As I go every week I sew at least weekly, It has resulted in more sewing over the weekend as I know what I am doing, and if stuck class is just a few days away. I alsways have tow prjects on the go, one in class, generally the one that is the most difficult and one home project.

For me the class is not so much anymore about leanring, but about motivation and bouncing off ideas. So in a way I have a class and it motivates me to also advance on my own.

Gilraen

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/8/12 5:40 AM

I like the combination. I wouldn't feel guilty about parting with your sewing teacher. Tell her you are ready to spread your wings- that should make her feel successful- she did her job.
If you have an ASG sewing group, the are great support. If not they offer webinars. Check out dealer classes and the online ones already mentioned by others. Have fun and keep sewing.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Is it time to advance on my own?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 06-2011-27

photo
by: 21wale

Review
PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

Buy Now
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Buy Now
Marfy 2826

photo
by: Achallengi...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.