SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Coverstitching Machines! ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Coverstitching Machines!
Holmar
star
Holmar
Advanced Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 10/11/09
Send Message

Date: 11/8/12 10:04 AM

I have a question about coverstitching...I have a Janome 1000CPX that I use often for hemming knit wear...I have to shorten everything...lol. My question is...can you use the coverstitch on woven fabrics? I'd also like to have any tips on using my machine...I'd love to have a book or dvd with creative ideas for coverstitching...the manual that came with my machine is not very helpful.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Holmar <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/8/12 11:20 AM

Holmar, I use my CS machine on wovens all the time. I also would like to see a book on CS sewing.

------
Ada

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/8/12 1:01 PM

Me too! I cannot believe there is NO ONE who will do a comprehensive guide to coverstitch sewing. I have asked Palmer & Pletsch and they will add some chapters to their serger book but no one is getting it...or even if Craftsy would do a class just on coverstitch techniques.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

kathleen1304

kathleen1304  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/19/05
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 11/8/12 2:07 PM

I'll bet that Debbie Cook could write that book!

------
Impossible you say? Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus!

Let's make Better Mistakes Tomorrow

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/8/12 3:02 PM

I use my coverstitch to hem wovens quite often. I also use the chainstitch to baste garments when fitting. One snip and you can just pull the basting thread out. Much easier than a sewing machine straight stitch.

------
chris

Melbourne

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to kathleen1304 <<

Date: 11/8/12 6:24 PM

She could and I have begged her to do it and she won't!!!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Holmar
star
Holmar
Advanced Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 10/11/09
Send Message

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 11/8/12 8:14 PM

Hi misschris,

Thanks for the tip about using the chainstitch to baste...I have yet to try the chain stitch.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Holmar <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/8/12 9:28 PM

You certainly can coverstitch on wovens.

Nobody's written a book on coverstitching, because there isn't a book's worth to tell.

If you want ideas what to do with CSing, aside from the obviousmof hemming;

Sew a decorative ribbon or fabric strip down something (pillow, garment, tote) by laying the ribbon or strip on top where you want it, and CS it in place.

"Embroider" your fabric by CSing down it, using various yarns and threads, metallics, etc.

CS down something, and lace metallic threads or yarns thru the stitching.

Do 3- thread CS and wind a yarn or thread, mettalic etc around the middle row of stitching.

CS and serpentine yarn, threads etc thru the stitching.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

knitstitcher
star
knitstitcher  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 11/10/12 10:30 AM

I just bought a belt loop attachment to make belt loops. Now I'm going make belt loops for my jeans! Quick and easy!!!
Also....you could put decorative thread or wooly nylon in the looper, coverstitch over an already sewn seam on the WRONG side of the garment using 2 or 3 needles (your preference). Then when you flip to the right side you have a nice decorative seam. Sometimes you see this down the leg of sweat pants or hoodies.
-- Edited on 11/10/12 10:35 AM --

------
Lorri
Bernina Artista 730,Babylock Journey, Babylock Evolution, Singer 201-2

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 9:33 PM

Janome has a great workbook for their 1200D cover stitch machine. Look under learning centre, choose serger and the optional feet workbook comes up. Pfaff/Husqvarna have detailed instructions on optional feet available for their machines. This set of instructions also applies to the newer Singer coverlock machines. I don't know how to post a link from my smart phone.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Coverstitching Machines!

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Simplicity 9469

photo
by: arianamani...

Review
Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.