SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Where do you take your quilts for hand stitching? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Where do you take your quilts for hand stitching?
I was surprised to see one at the doctor's office
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 11/9/12 3:57 PM

I just got back from my doctor appointments today & saw a women there hand quilting away on a quilt. So I am wondering where do you take your quilts for stitching? .... large bag in tow, needles, thread & hoop. .... I do not think I would or could tote that around myself. And what about the um well to be blunt ... things on the floor from strangers ? I find the thought a bit yuky! ......It did not seem to bother this sewer though.
Just wondered, what do people do ? .....Thoughts please...
Thanks so much!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh goody, DH has now getting a nice part time job starts Dec 1st. ~smile~
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/9/12 4:05 PM

Oops sorry I should have put in the title ... take it for doing hand quilting. I am sorry hope it is not too confusing... Doing changes the meaning. Sorry about that... typos

------

The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/9/12 6:03 PM

Through the years I carted all sorts of projects like afghans and yes even a quilt a few places. I used to have a really large straw tote that a sister in law brought back from Mexico that kept the project fairly safe from the worst evils. I usually didn't rehoop just stitched the area I had ready and often had several needles threaded up. I used to take my 3 daughters all over the place to orthodontist, dance classes, practices for everything, and often those were the only times I could work on handwork. I never once got a negative remark just a lot of questions like do you sell those,can I see, that is so pretty. I knitted my first afghan when my mother had an extended hospital stay and it kept me from going insane sitting about so most times I have something portable to work on. Admittedly a quilt is not the best portable project. I usually knit dishcloths (really no brainer simple ones) as they take no space and transport easy when we go to appointments or places with boring waits. I figure by the time a quilt gets wagged around it will need washing anyway. You could do the wedding dress trick-spread a sheet or a piece of fabric so you can keep it off the floor. That's what I used to do around the machines when sewing the daughters' wedding dresses even after cleaning the floor. If you know you are going to have a long boring wait I figure why not.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/9/12 6:07 PM

I just reread what you posted. I wouldn't wag a quilt at this stage of my life but sometimes like when my girls were younger I confess I did take all sorts of hand work to some very peculiar places.

rtrittel
rtrittel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 2/16/11
Send Message

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 4:22 AM

Let's just hope the sewer you saw plans to wash and dry the quilt before use! I would think taking along a quilt to hand sew would be rather challenging, unless it is a baby quilt. They are so cumbersome. I have mine set up at home to use while I listen to the radio or audio books. When out & about on errands, I take along some knitting, which is much easier to carry in a bag and seldom - if ever - touches the ground (only if I drop my thread!)

------
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to rtrittel <<

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 7:06 AM

That is what I was thinking too definitely would need to be washed IMO. I have taken knitting & embroidery with me to long appointments... small projects easily fit into a bag & kept as clean as possible & as light weight as possible.

------

The sewing workers:

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 9:23 AM

You got me really curious about what kind of nasty stuff was on the floor at the Drs office!

I would not hesitate to take a quilt somewhere for hand quilting, if I had something to carry it in. All my quilts are washed before they are used no matter what.

As long as the quilter is wiling to pack up and take it, what negative could there possibly be about bringing it along?

People with babies and toddlers bring toys and blankets and food and cups and diaper bags, why would be quilt be a bad thing?

------
Cathryn

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 10:34 AM

I have not taken a quilt with me to work on, but have done knitting and crochet in all sorts of places.

I have a friend who always has a quilting project or two in her bag. She does hand applique, grandmother's garden etc whenever she has a free moment.

I would not be worried about the floor, although I would try to keep it up if possible, I would be washing the project once it was done.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 10:41 AM

Quote: tgm and Kittys
I just got back from my doctor appointments today & saw a women there hand quilting away on a quilt. So I am wondering where do you take your quilts for stitching? .... large bag in tow, needles, thread & hoop. .... I do not think I would or could tote that around myself. And what about the um well to be blunt ... things on the floor from strangers ? I find the thought a bit yuky! ......It did not seem to bother this sewer though.

Just wondered, what do people do ? .....Thoughts please...

Thanks so much!

"Where do you take your quilt while you are hand stitching" or,

"Where do you take your quilt to be hand stitched?"

For the first scenario, it would not leave my house.

For the second, an Amish community.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Subject: Where do you take your quilts for stitching? Date: 11/10/12 11:04 AM

I don't hand quilt much, and when I do I have to have a hoop that holds the weight, or it makes my hands ache (rheumatoid arthritis). So I don't hand quilt anywhere but home.

I have, however, been known to tote along small quilts to hand-sew the binding. Baby size and smaller (wall-hangings).

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Where do you take your quilts for hand stitching?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Simplicity 2178

photo
by: awesomepot...

Review
New Look 6735

photo
by: knitsewmuc...

Review

Pattern

Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

More Info
Runaround Bag

Runaround Bag

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.