Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > Bernina Artista 185E ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina Artista 185E
does anyone have this machine?
loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/9/12 11:34 PM

There is one for sale near me, and while I never thought of using it for embroidery, the thought of monograms and buttonholes and FMQ are appealing to me.

It comes with Embroidery Unit / CPS and 4.1 CPS software

It has 234 hours of sewing time on it.

The price is around $1,000

It has been serviced recently and is from a reputable vendor.

If you own one do you like it, and what do you use it for mainly?

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to loti <<

Date: 11/10/12 0:18 AM

Maybe just a coinkydink, but this ebay listing for same model has exact same sewing time listed...

Ebay closed listing

Could be same seller.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 11/10/12 0:59 AM

Could be, have you ever owned one of these? Most of what I can find online is about a compatible hoop, so either they are so old no ones owns them anymore or are so good no one wants to let anyone else know. LOL

------
Coco Chanel

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to loti <<

Date: 11/10/12 7:04 AM

Nope, never owned one, but I'm not a Bernina person. I'm betting there's a few PR members can give you the inside info on this model, though.

I just wonder why it didn't sell, if it's the same ebay machine. Could be priced too high? Or could be nobody saw it and it's a great price.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 11/10/12 11:02 AM

It's strange the price seems to be about right for what has sold this year, but very little information on it.

------
Coco Chanel

Debbo

Debbo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/14/05

Date: 11/10/12 11:14 AM

Yes, I have one. It's a wonderful machine. You have to have a magic box or something like that in order to save designs, but otherwise, it's easy to use. Very sturdy.

------
Deb

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09

Date: 11/10/12 11:14 AM

I had one and liked it. I gave it to my DDIL when I upgraded to a 730E. If I remember correctly it has a 5.5MM stitch width?
I still use it when I go to watch my grandchildren. There have been any number of times I wish I kept it as a extra machine.

------
Ada

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04

Date: 11/10/12 11:21 AM

Thank you!!

I will take another look at it today and decide, the local dealer is very well loved, so at least there will be someone who knows how to fix them if needed.

As this would be my first computerized machine is there something in particular I should look for?

------
Coco Chanel

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09

In reply to loti <<

Date: 11/10/12 11:33 AM

I don't think there is anything special to look for. I would have the dealer stitch out a design to make sure you like the way it works.

I hope it comes with a lot of feet. They can be pricy.

------
Ada

Sharon Rose
Sharon Rose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IN USA
Member since 3/10/11

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/10/12 11:42 AM

I hope this isn't a repeat because I accidently hit a key and think I just erased all I had previously typed. So here goes again.
Loti, I have a Bernina 180E. I think it is the same as the 185E. I purchased it new 10 years ago and paid $3500. That included the embroidery unit, a number of feet, Editor software as well as the Artlink and CPS. The CPS and the Artlink are basic software that just mainly allows you to connect to your sewing machine and embroidery unit for exchanging designs and stitches. The Editor is basic design software. Bernina has a step-up from the Editor that was called Designer Plus that really gives many more features. I upgraded to this and enjoyed the creativity it gave me, immensely .
You might want to check and see if the 185 interfaces with the computer via USB connection or serial port. I know the Artista 200 introduced the USB connection, but I think the 185 still used the same port as my machine. My 180 requires a serial port and many new computers don't have those kind of ports. You can buy a serial to USB port adapter, but I have read that many people have tried and been unsuccessful using that "go-around" to compensate for the lack of a serial port on their computer.
Another problem I am experiencing with an older embroidery unit is that the Editor software is only compatible with Windows XP. I am not sure whether CPS has the same restrictions, but am guessing that it probably does since it was made at the same time the other software was made for these machines.
Bernina does not support my older software, so I cannot get any help from them to work around the incompatibility issue with Windows 7. I have been told, "your just out of luck."
There is a free download from the Bernina site, though, that is compatible with Windows 7. It is called Artlink. It only transfers designs from the computer to the embroidery unit. But at least you can use Windows 7 and get your designs into your embroidery unit....if you have a serial port. Again, remember you still need to somehow deal with the serial port compatibility issue.
As a sewing machine, I have been very pleased with the quality of the Bernina 180E. And I have been very pleased with the embroidery features. But it is out-of-date when it comes to embroidery.
Bottom line is that I suggest if you are looking at the 185E for its embroidery features, I would suggest you get something else...more up-to-date...something that is an embroidery unit only. I didn't know all this "stuff" when I invested. And there were not as many options back then. But if I were going to do this again, I would get a very good mechanical machine and a separate embroidery machine with latest state-of-the-art, top of the line designer software.
Hope this has helped.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina Artista 185E

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Vogue Patterns 8750 Misses' Skirt
photo
Review by Danvillegi... on 10/3/11
Read Review

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King
DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Late lunch tunic Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Late lunch tunic Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Digital Pattern
Jamie Christina Pretty Ditty Apron Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jalie 2794 Sweetheart Top
photo
Review by kathigarn on 9/27/09
Read Review

Vogue 1355 Pattern ( Size )
Vogue 1355 Pattern ( Size  )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 6970 Pattern
Burda 6970 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.92
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN