SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Using appliques or alternatives? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Using appliques or alternatives?
Is there a cheaper way?
nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/10/12 0:44 AM

I have only just started sewing and havn't yet used appliques on clothing, except for a couple of small iron-on motifs.

I am making matching aprons for my nieces and their mum for Christmas. I wanted to put their names on them but not sure what to use to do this?

Iron-on motifs here (Australia) aren't cheap and at approx $3 per letter it works out a little expensive.

Is there another way to put their names on the aprons? I have seen a bit about making your own appliques and sewing them on - is this easy for a beginner?

I also considered fabric paint, but again I have not done this before - don't want it to look too tacky!

------
Nic (Melbourne)

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 11/10/12 3:43 AM

This topic has been moved from Regional Communities to Sewing Techniques and Tips

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/10/12 8:47 AM

Making appliqué letters and names is a simple matter, but it requires the right supplies. If you can access a fusible web product such as WonderUnder or Steam-A-Seam, that is the most important notion and it's not terribly expensive here in the U.S.

Harriett Hargrave has a wonderful book Mastering Machine Applique which I highly recommend. I was able to learn how to machine applique from this book!

As for the letters, you would buy a nice fabric that coordinates well with the apron color, draw or trace letters (mirror image of course) on to the back of the fusible web after you have fused it to the lettering fabric,. Cut out, arrange to your taste on the apron, fuse, and then satin stitch around the edges.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/10/12 8:52 PM

Thank you - it doesn't sound as complicated as I thought. I have read a few different places about using the fusible web. I guess its just a matter of finding a template for the letters.

But I don't need an embroidery machine do I? Sounds like I can do it with a normal sewing machine?

Thank you very much :)

------
Nic (Melbourne)

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/10/12 9:20 PM

Quote: nic.0448
But I don't need an embroidery machine do I? Sounds like I can do it with a normal sewing machine?

No, an embroidery machine is absolutely not necessary. Machine appliqué with a sewing machine is how we all did it for ages. If your machine has "needle down" feature, that makes it even easier.

Definitely practice first, using the satin stitch on your sewing machine and similar type fabrics that mimic the apron and lettering fabric.

If you can use a thinner (finer) bobbin thread and loosen the top tension a bit, the stitching will look much nicer.
DEFINITELY do some practicing.

You'll also want to stabilize the apron fabric, so that the satin stitching does not cause any puckers.

If you can get hold of that Harriett Hargrave book (check your local library), it is full of excellent information that will be helpful to you.

ETA - - - I just now ran a "Google" search on the phrase
how to machine applique and found a lot of good blogs, videos, etc.
-- Edited on 11/10/12 9:22 PM --

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/10/12 9:27 PM

You can paint the names on the aprons using acrylic paint, if you are nervous about your lettering you can print out a nice font and then use that to make a stencil out of Bristol board or a manilla folder or an index card you can use paint in the stencil or you can trace the lettering on the aprons using dressmaking carbon and then embroider over the letters using a machine satin stitch....this will look much classier than an iron on.

If you are nervous painting directly on the apron you can embroider the names on a separate piece of fabric and then stitch that on to the apron.you can also outline your acrylic paint letters with machine stitching ( either a straight stitch or a satin stitch.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 11/10/12 9:41 PM

Awesome, will have to look up some more blogs and videos. And sounds like practise, practise, practise is the key Thank you

------
Nic (Melbourne)

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

In reply to sarah in nyc <<

Date: 11/10/12 9:44 PM

This is a great alternative to the "normal" way I have been reading about. I have a few different ideas now - thank you so much for your help

------
Nic (Melbourne)

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 11/10/12 11:55 PM

Just saw this on pinterest ... Tought I would share the idea... http://pinterest.com/pin/83809243037106362/?e_t=55a23baf9dea4c2486204b26b5fc5680&e_t_s=pin-liked&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=activity_aggregation

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/11/12 0:15 AM

I do lettering on fabric all the time. Practice If you have ever done calligraphy on paper...it's essentially the same thing. use a square tipped brush with not too much paint on it.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Using appliques or alternatives?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

New Look 6808

photo
by: MiniandMer...

Review

Pattern

Candice

Candice

Buy Now
Chelsea

Chelsea

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 220738-1011

photo
by: Sew Whatev...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.