SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > New Ruffler Attachment ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New Ruffler Attachment
It skips stitches
Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 8:05 AM

I'm trying to finish a project that I had class on Friday. It is a laminated bag (actually only the bottom is laminated). I have a new ruffler attachment that I bought a while ago (first time to use it). Anyway, it skipped stitches (approximately every 4th stitch). I tried it 3 times (made my stitches a bit longer each time). It's frustrating. This is the finishing touches before I put the bag together! Grr!

If anyone has had this problem and fixed it please let me know. I know there is a screw in the front that you can adjust but I don't know what it is for or anything...so, I don't want to mess with it. I searched the internet with no luck. But I did find Leota Black's book on Learning & Using Your Ruffler. But before I order this book, I wanted to know if there is an easy fix. I have it set on 6.

Thanks!

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 11:27 AM

The screw on front adjusts the pleat depth.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 12:30 PM

Would tightening the screw help it or does it have anything to do with it? The pleats it does make are very nice. Thanks.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Valerie Jo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/12 12:59 PM

You could try sticking some tissue paper under it maybe, in case a "laminated bag" means some kind of fabric that has vynil or rubbery coating on it.

On the off chance some plasticy coating is sticking to your stitch plate, or even the ruffler and maybe that is making it skip. You would have to rip the tissue paper off afterwards then.

Where to put the tissue to test that out I'm not sure, but try right over on top of your stitch plate and under your fabric. If it still happens, then also try putting another piece of tissue paper on top of the fabric too. If you do that and those skips go away, then maybe some laminate is no longer sticking to something, when it was before?

-- Edited on 11/11/12 1:01 PM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 1:20 PM

what sort of needle are you using? Is it new?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 1:40 PM

The needle is either a 75 or 80. I will change to a new one and try the paper. Thanks!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 3:05 PM

I have this happen every once in a while, I think it happens with a tighter weave fabric. Because I can switch fabrics, with the same settings and needle and everything is perfect. There is wonderful free e booklet for using a ruffer on the You can make this website.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Valerie Jo <<

Date: 11/11/12 4:55 PM

Quote: Valerie Jo
The needle is either a 75 or 80. I will change to a new one and try the paper. Thanks!

Try a size 90 or larger sharp or denim/jeans. Really. It can make a big difference. I do not think the ruffler attachment is the problem.
Sewing thru laminated fabric might need a little help with Sewer's Aid to lubricate the needle, too. When I have a tough project, every few stitches I'll put some of the Sewer's Aid on the needle. It helps.
Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 6:12 PM

I tried the laminated fabric upside down. I will try all of the suggestions and let you know. I had a meeting go to today and haven't gotten to this yet. Thanks!

CdnSkier
CdnSkier  Friend of PR
Illinois USA
Member since 3/18/09
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 7:24 PM

Best reference for any rufflerThe Ruffler unRuffled

------
Baby Lock Ellure Plus (BLR3), Pfaff Creative 4874 serger/coverstitch, Singer Rocketeer 500J, Singer 301A short-bed

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> New Ruffler Attachment

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

More Info
Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

More Info
Simplicity 2176

photo
by: jorth

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.