Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Thin Nails ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thin Nails
Always breaking/splitting on the sides
Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
MO USA
Member since 8/2/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/11/12 8:25 AM

I did some research on the internet. I have been taking vitamins and extra biotin, B12 and folic acid. I guess I need extra E and B2 as well. I have two different strengtheners to put on them. One is a clear type of polish and the other just absorbs into the nails. They are paper thin and always get a split on the sides (which of course I have to take the tops off or they would catch on something and rip). I used to blame gardening and I am sure that didn't help them any.

Has anyone had this problem and found something that really works? I would be really interested to know. I don't necessarily want long nails but I wish they didn't look this bad. Thanks!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/11/12 11:09 AM

None of the above. Although, calcium seems to help.

Wear gloves when cleaning, doing yard work and when the weather turns cold (like now).

Massage the cuticle and under the fingernail tip with Vaseline or one of the more expensive cuticle oils/creme/balms. Often. After washing the hands, while watching TV and at bedtime.

Keep the nails trimmed short as possible.

It takes some time for a split nail to grow out a healthy nail, but it will.

-- Edited on 11/11/12 11:10 AM --

------
“I don’t give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think it’s Hell.” — Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

cindyann
starstar
cindyann  Friend of PR
FL USA
Member since 8/5/02

In reply to Valerie Jo <<

Date: 11/11/12 11:29 AM

I've always had the same problem with my nails. Recently I've been using a product call Ecrinal (NAYY). I use the Nail Strengthener/Hardener and the Nail Repair Serum. I've been using them for about 3 weeks and I see a very nice improvement in the peeling and splitting and they are getting much harder. So far so good.........

------

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 11/11/12 11:38 AM

Quote: PattiAnnJ

Keep the nails trimmed short as possible.

I had to laugh...trimmed? Are you kidding?If my nails even peak above the quick I am overjoyed...but that doesn't last...they peel back below the quick in a few hours. My nails are sort of like paper....and tear as easily. rather disgusting.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

gramma b
star
gramma b
Advanced
USA
Member since 7/25/08

Date: 11/11/12 12:28 PM

Any dermatologists here to answer?

I had an aunt who was on extra iron pills for something
else and her nails got super strong, but then I've also
read internal supplements (like old gelatin caps) don't help.
Mine crack near the thumb corners in winter, even tho I use lots of creams--nail hardeners can make them worse with the chemicals.

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 1/21/06

Date: 11/11/12 2:34 PM

How is your protein intake?

My nails grow fast and hard since using whey protein. Calcium helps too.

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 4/8/02

Date: 11/11/12 4:10 PM

formaldihyde in fabrics dries out your nails. When there a lot of fabric stores around some of them had such strong chemical odor in the air my eyes burned and I got a headache. If I don't sew for several months my nails get strong, but if I am sewing sewing sewing, the darn nails just split and break and crack.

------
JanieV

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 11/11/12 4:16 PM

I have pathetically thin, delicate fingernails, and since I have some background in biology, I've done research over the years trying to learn what's going on.

For example, ever wonder why nails tend to break horizontally? Not always, as in your case, but most of the time? Here's the sole scientific paper on the subject. It seems that of the three layers of the fingernail, the transverse one, though strong, is for physical reasons, the easiest to cut, so things shear along those lines.

As to the causes of fragile nails, one is heredity: About 20% of us—quite a sizeable proportion!--have a genetic tendency towards this nail condition. Here, under the heading “Brittle nails (fragilitas unguium),” about a quarter of the way down the page, is a discussion of the problem.

So far, there is no fix for the genes, but the key to management seems to be hydration—keeping the nails moisturized. The article recommends daily 15-minute soaks in a rich emollient solution. (Like that’s going to happen.)

They say formaldehyde hardeners might work, but then list the risks. Same, to some extent, with nail polish.

As to supplements, they mention only two, biotin and a specific form of silicon, that might possibly make things better, but that there’s only a tiny bit of scientific evidence for them.

Myself, I have found three things that really help:

1. Protecting my nails with gloves whenever I garden or even clean the house lightly.

2. Rehydrating them with Elon Nail Conditioner, either from company (free shipping)

or from another source like this.

This stuff is remarkable: It does not just sit on the top; I can actually feel my nails become more pliable after rubbing it in. A minimum of once a day during dry weather has helped me tremendously. Though pricey, one little tube lasts a very long time.

Third, if you can manage it, I have found that going to France is an absolute cure for my problem. There, my nails become tremendously thick and strong, and they grow so fast that I literally have to file them down every week. I have never experienced this in the U.S., and the only explanation I can think of is that I do eat foie gras over there. Quite a bit of it.

-- Edited on 11/11/12 4:21 PM --

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04

Date: 11/11/12 4:52 PM

I have no answers and can only commiserate. Wah! My nails have been awful ever since I was pregnant, 31 years ago. They have not been the same since then. They peel, they split, they break off, you name it, yet they look healthy. Nothing works to strengthen them. I've been on calcium for over a year with no change. Maybe the OTC iron supplement I started this summer will help. All the topical strengtheners end up destroying my nails. Perhaps it's the nail polish remover? I've tried the stuff from the health food stores, free of the bad stuff, etc. I finally accepted that I'll always have short, fussy nails. Wah.

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06

Date: 11/11/12 4:58 PM

This isn't going to help w/thin nails but it might help w/the splitting on the sides and having to trim off the tops.

If you're using a file, emory board only NO metal, don't run the board back and forth along the side of the nail. Only use upward strokes in one direction. When you use an emory board and use a back and forth motion it puts little splits in the sides making them more prone to rip. If you do a squared nail tip you can go side to side across the top.

This was a tip I picked up from a manicurist years ago and anyone I've passed it along to has been amazed at how much better their nails grow.

Debbie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Thin Nails

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Simplicity 3686
photo
Review by born2bead on 4/2/08
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Pyper Ruffle Cardi Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Pyper Ruffle Cardi Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Blank Tank Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Blank Tank Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Other TS007
photo
Review by RadarRadia... on 12/15/09
Read Review

Petite Plus V202 VHS
Petite Plus V202 VHS

Details
Price: $40.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern
You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5924 Pattern ( Size 18-20-22-24-26 )
Butterick 5924 Pattern ( Size 18-20-22-24-26 )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5733 Pattern ( Size One Size )
Butterick 5733 Pattern ( Size One Size )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN