SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Advice on a pattern for wedding dress ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Advice on a pattern for wedding dress
Simplicity 4698
rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/11/12 5:17 PM

I have high-jacked my sisters' account for this question:

I've seen a beautiful vera wang gown which I'd partly like to copy (different bodice & neckline) and have found a pattern which I'm thinking I might be able to use. Only thing is that it has lots of little pleats at the waist which I don't want.
The pattern I found is supposed to be a "base" on to which I'll sew lots of flanges.

My question is do you think I can modify the waist so that it has no pleats, and lower the waist slightly (think direction dropped waist)?

I'm going to make a dress-form with duct tape with help from my fiance (picture big grin on his face.....) so I'll have something to pin the whole to.

Here is a link to the vera wang gown (spring 2013, Kimberly):
http://www.verawang.com/EN/wedding/bridal-collection/spring-2013/1319-kimberly

Here is a link to the pattern I'm hoping will work:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/111233034/simplicity-4698-1960s-wedding-dress?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=simplicity+4698&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=NL&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=simplicity+4698

If the link doesn't function: Simplicity 4689

p.s pattern supposedly has underskirt and I'm planning on using a small hoop skirt to support the skirt. Also planning on putting a corset underneath the bodice. Not planning on having my dress fall down on my wedding day!

Very curious whether anyone has any other suggestions or if this is the better pattern to use.

Thanks in advance,

L.H

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 11/11/12 7:46 PM

My advice would be to start with a pattern closer to the bodice you want. The inside structure is going to be totally different than a bodice with sleeves...it's going to have a total foundation in there with boning...unless you are experienced with that kind of structure already. It just might be easier to adapt from there, don't you think?

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 11/11/12 9:32 PM

here's a little helps with the dress.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

Date: 11/12/12 4:33 AM

First of all, what a beautiful dress! I'm not sure that Simplicity pattern is the best place to start, though; it's really quite different from the Vera Wang gown. This will be a big project and the last thing you want to do is make it more difficult for yourself by adding a long list of pattern alterations to make.

The strapless bodice of this Burda bridal pattern is quite similar to the Kimberly dress; it also includes a pattern for an underskirt. Or, if you're looking for a real blank slate on which to "build" your gown, this Vogue pattern (out of print, but easy to find for sale online) might be a good start.

At any rate, please keep us posted on your progress. I can't wait to see your interpretation of that gown.
-- Edited on 11/12/12 4:37 AM --

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 11/12/12 6:08 AM

I agree with the others - the pattern you've picked out doesn't seem to be a good match. I like the Vogue pattern sugarduck mentioned. It's well-reviewed and the pattern has the foundation layer you want also.

It's a lovely dress you've chosen!

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Connecticut USA
Member since 5/7/10
online now
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 11/12/12 2:55 PM

Are you comfortable sewing without instructions? If so, I could take a look at my Marfy bridal catalog and see if there's something similar to the Vera Wang gown.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

In reply to clothingengineer <<

Date: 11/12/12 5:50 PM

Dear Clothingengineer,

I am confident I can figure a pattern out without instructions (and if not there'll be a lot of posts from me and a steep phone bill bombarding my sister for advice). If you wouldn't mind looking through your Marfy catalog I'd be really greatful!

Thanks in advance,

L.H

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 11/13/12 3:31 AM

Would this pattern be a good place to start? This is a pattern by weddingpatterns.com

-- Edited on 11/13/12 3:17 PM --

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Connecticut USA
Member since 5/7/10
online now
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 11/14/12 10:27 AM

Unfortunately I didn't see anything in the Marfy catalog that was close enough to the Vera Wang gown to make buying one worthwhile. I actually haven't seen any patterns close enough to this one. I think Kwik Sew 3400 would be a good foundation piece though. It has the empire bust (which you can use for the lace section) and A-line skirt. Plus Kwik Sew is known for excellent instructions. You can figure out how to do the bust shelf effect through draping, but I have no idea how you would go about doing the skirt!

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 2/9/08
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 9:38 PM

You might want to take a look at this one Vogue 2842, as the bust is similar and the draping is at least started for you.

Beautiful dress, and very ambitious! Take a look back at some threads on this board for another Vera Wang that had some serious skirt draping and was made by a member here. (I've forgotton who)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Advice on a pattern for wedding dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2012-104

photo
by: Scallywag

Review
McCall's 6475

photo
by: JUNIPERJUN...

Review
Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.