SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Babylock Melody ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock Melody
Question for Melody Owners
sassmonkie
sassmonkie
Member since 11/13/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/13/12 2:01 PM

I have a really dumb question I am hoping you can answer. I got my melody a couple of months ago and I have noticed my case doesn't go all the way down on my machine. There is about an inch gap at the bottom. There is styrofoam in the case that feels like it was glued in. Was the styrofoam supposed to come out? Or is there just supposed to be the one inch gap?
I know stupid question, and I am kinda embarrassed to ask my dealer about it. Thanks for your help!

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/13/12 8:02 PM

Yep. Keep the foam in place. It's part of the protection. The inch or so is "normal". I had same questions, but found answer documented in the manuals.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 9:30 AM

I am considering the Melody and wondering if you have any good/bad comments to share. I currently have a BL Quilters Choice and want to upgrade.

I would be using it mostly for garment sewing and occasional utility style quilts

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/18/12 8:44 AM

I like my Melody/Innovis 650 Q/Innovis 800:Laura Ashley. Yep. All the same machine. She has a nice array of stitches and memory "pockets" to store custom stitches or settings. You can use My Custom Stitch Book to create more stitches. The stitch quality is nice; straight stitch may require some tinkering with the tension to perfect.---all VERY easily done! If that's not precise enough, the straight stitch plate/foot set is available. She makes superb button holes and lovely blind hem. The decorative stitches are a good selection of non- juvenile, to embellish an array of items. No boats, no teddy bears, etc. The fonts are good for quilt/garment labels, but not Monogram quality; and you get umlauts. Arrives with almost every foot available in the Brother/BL arsenal. I love needle down, auto lock stitch, and the cutting feature is nice. Adjustable foot pressure. 7 feed dogs.

I'm abusive to my machines, so my Melody, et.al, has been serviced for bobbin case replacement, filing of nicks r/t user error broken needles, and timing. Might help if I actually read the very useful manual. My Dealer earns his money and secretly wishes I consider a brand he does NOT sell or service.:D

As soon as I unpacked it, tortured it with 2 twin sized double sided fleece blankets without using the walking foot. Awesome. Perfect piecing. Great quilting even FMQ. Just starting to sew knits, so I can't really judge. Great quilting w/metallic thread. You can buy the circular and bobbin work accessories for it.

Overall, a very good mid level computerized machine for garment and quilting. Melody, et al. gets overlooked as it's not as snazzy as the bigger TOTL machines. It does not embroider nor does it have USB ports or fancy touch screen interfaces/displays. If you are looking for more oomph than the BL Grace/ Innovis 40 or BL Elizabeth/Innovis 80...or even the uber popular PRW 420.....but not interested or able to afford the Symphony or Dreamweavers, Melody is a great machine.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Jennkb
Jennkb
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 2/1/13 2:06 PM

I have it and love it. This machine was a major upgrade for me. I have the extra book that shows how to use many of the features. I love having so many feet to choose from and the machine is quite solid. I am quilting with it, doing clothing repair, and making doll clothes.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 2/5/13 12:02 PM

The Elizabeth and Innovis 80 are not the same. The Elizabeth was formerly known as the Decorator's Choice and has the nice BabyLock needle threader while the Innovis 80 is more a cousin to the Innovis 40 in size and features. It's basically the Melody without all the gingerbread sideways stitching and such but still has two desirable features...the knee lift and thread cutter button.

I agree that the Melody(and Elizabeth) get overlooked by the "BabyLock Behemoths" and they have a lot of great features for the money. Glad to hear yours has what it takes to get the job done!
-- Edited on 2/5/13 12:03 PM --

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 2/5/13 12:28 PM

I think she means the Innovis 800 Laura Ashley. It's has a red floral faceplate. If it were pink floral, I might own it, lol. It has many more features than the 80

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/5/13 12:52 PM

Have you seen one in person? I have, and was surprised to see that it seems to definitely have pink tones to it. My first thought was dark fuschia. I don't know why most pictures show it as practically tomato red. It's nothing like that...it's a very pretty Laura Ashley-ish pink-red This pic is the closest to the the real life color, look at how red the background fabric is in comparison:

I really like it but the Brother dealer nearest me is a tyrant and I've vowed to never step foot in his shop again. You never know when he's going to start berating and yelling at a customer. It's amazing he stays in business
-- Edited on 2/5/13 12:55 PM --

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 2/5/13 4:17 PM

I have the Old Skool Innovis NX650Q Brother Blue face plate/thread cover. My mom bought the Innovis 800 Laura Ashley Pink one.

I don't think my mom's machine has 2hrs of run time on it. She prefers her circa 1971 Singer Stylist, " It doesn't scare me." This, after her Dealer classes......

------

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 2/5/13 4:20 PM

Karen is that the top-line sewing-only machine under the Symphony? Brother has so many models, its hard to tell them apart. is the pecking order top down: Symphony, Innovis 800, Melody, Elizabeth, Tempo, etc. etc or is the Melody the most loaded one of this size? just curious. There's some great things about Brother/BabyLock...starting w/ that amazing threader. Its as much of a blast as the swooosh jet-aire device on their sergers. you never just get bored with that deal. I've had my Imagine 18 years or so and it still pops my garter each time i use it!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Babylock Melody

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Simplicity Sew U

photo
by: House of P...

Review
Simplicity 2256

photo
by: im2melo4u

Review
Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby More Animal Wrappers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.