Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Men Who Sew > Need a little " One On One Help" ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need a little " One On One Help"
Better understanding of patterns & how to alter.
kayakpeak
kayakpeak  Friend of PR
Beginner
WA USA
Member since 11/2/12
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/13/12 10:20 PM

Being a beginner and enjoy being self taught at most things I do I'm ready to concede defeat. I made a pair of denim jeans with mistakes which was fine with me but I cut the fabric pieces based on what the pattern said my size was, lo and behold they were big enough for my wife and I both if we would be able to synchronize our feet so obviously I need to alter the pattern. That's one area I could use some help. I'm half way through a muslin shirt which so far seems like it should fit reasonably well but I'm at the neck area and confused a bit as to what the pattern instructions are telling me to do. I live in Northern Snohomish County Washington & would love to pay for somebody to guide me through the pattern altering process and I'm confident there would be other areas of garment construction I would need to know rather than continue on this path of frustration and destruction LOL. It's quite OK to laugh, I'm doing a lot of that myself and so is my wife. BTW she is not a sewer.

------
kayakpeak

DOGLOVER389
DOGLOVER389
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/11/12

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 11/14/12 2:18 AM

Hi Kayak,

You don't have to "concede defeat." The problems you are describing are not because of *you.*

Every pattern manufacturer has it's own idea of what a particular size should be. I don't know that there is much consistency from pattern mfr to pattern mfr. Some are closer to the sizes they state and some, like your jeans made for two, are far from reality.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

If no one from PR lives in your area and can meet your needs, there may be sewing classes which will teach pattern adjustments. There are also many here who are skilled with that even though they may have to give you online instructions rather than be available locally.

DogLover389

------
Cut my teeth on a Kenmore 117.58

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/PictPage/1922064294.html

Singer Merritt 9612

Amanda.Claire
star
Amanda.Claire  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/20/07

In reply to kayakpeak <<

Date: 11/14/12 8:17 AM

Look up ASG in your area. I joined the American Sewing Guild here in the Dallas area and they are a wealth of information. I think it is $50.00 to join and the one here has a group just dedicated to fitting issues. Plano has a main ASG and several neighborhood groups. I'm sure every area is different. but worth a look. Also, Burda and Burdastyle (magazine and online) patterns are much better at fitting. Burdastyle you will have to add seam allowances.

Take care and good luck!

gramma b
star
gramma b
Advanced
USA
Member since 7/25/08

In reply to kayakpeak <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 9:01 AM

Sources in your area might be local tailor/alteration shops attached to dry cleaners, Home Ec teachers, groups like 4-H, ads on Craigslist or quilt shops?
If you don't have a large local library, check out the best-selling books on Amazon--you can buy the good used ones cheaper. Start with
simpler patterns than jeans to boost your ego.
There is a growing support group here of what I call Male Design Engineers, just using different kinds of tools.

WTG
WTG
Intermediate
Member since 3/18/03

In reply to kayakpeak <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 9:33 AM

As far as the confusing pattern instructions, you can ask on this board and receive assistance. Just start a post and mention the pattern brand and pattern number and type out the instruction sentence or sentences that are confusing.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02

In reply to kayakpeak <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/14/12 12:07 PM

Did you use ready to wear sizes? First lesson they aren't the same as pattern sizes. You have to measure the areas listed and get a pattern as closest to those measurements as possible. That being said. You still may have to lengthen or shorten for height or leg length. Or maybe adjust the waist or the distance between waist and crotch. As patterns are pretty much made for people with perfect proportions, therefore not people in real life lol. One way to figure is to compare measurements of a good fitting pair of pants and compare them to the pattern and adjust as needed allowing of course for seam allowances and zipper allowances.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Subject: Need a little One On One Help Date: 11/14/12 3:33 PM

You hit the nail on the head by posting to PR. Greatest resource when in isolation. Taking online PR courses really increased my understanding of patterns. I got lots of help with posting on forums. I joined ASG and can't recommend them enough- terrific courses on pattern making and adjustments. I just signed up for Craftsy.com classes which brings a new aspect to pattern adjustments. You are on the right track. Any of the suggestions posted will give you the tools to figure out what to do to make it fit.
Happy Sewing.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04

Subject: Need a little One On One Help Date: 11/14/12 4:50 PM

I find it very helpful to measure key points on an RTW garment which fits reasonably well then compare the measurements to the pattern dimensions.

Special warning - once in a while the finished measurements on the pattern may contain an error.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

thestitcher
star
thestitcher
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 11/9/08

In reply to kayakpeak <<

Date: 11/15/12 1:01 PM

On the pattern pieces themselves will be a measurement. Some companies have them in or near a circle with an X in it. For the jeans pattern look for this in the hip area and the waist area, probably on the Front pattern piece. Compare that measurement to your own and this will give you a better idea of what size to make. Remember to allow for wearing ease.

For the shirt, there are some great references available. My personal favs are Reader's Digest and Vogue Sewing.

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09

Date: 11/16/12 1:17 PM

Starting with complicated garments can lead to frustration. Put the jeans and shirt down and try a simple semi-fitted sleeveless sheath dress for your wife.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Men Who Sew >> Need a little " One On One Help"

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Vogue Patterns 8672 Misses' Skirt
photo
Review by knottygnom... on 1/25/12
Read Review

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White
PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

PerfectFuse Light White
PerfectFuse Light White

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver & S Forest Path Cape Digital Pattern ( Size 5-12 )
Oliver & S Forest Path Cape Digital Pattern  ( Size 5-12 )

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)
Oliver + S Family Reunion Dress Digital Pattern (Size 6M-4)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6901
photo
Review by aminat on 1/21/10
Read Review

McCalls 6606 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )
McCalls 6606 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3882 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3882 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN