SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > NEW to PatternReview? > New member ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Somethings about me
windsong1940
windsong1940
Expert/Couture
Oklahoma USA
Member since 11/11/12
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 2:12 AM

Hi. I would like to introduce myself and give a brief bio. I am a 72 year old widow 3 years now. My husband and I were happily married 50 + years. I took care of him for a year and a half here at home and he died at home. We have 2 sons, 2 grandsons and a precious 3 year old great granddaughter. Her daddy, my oldest grandson is an engineer in the Air Force. None of my family live in my town except a much older sister and her husband of 62 years. I started making my own clothes at age 10 and sewed until about 10 years ago and I started making quilts. I make QOV quilts. If you aren't familiar with that organization, ask me about it. I oil paint on canvas, crochet and make stained glass art. Right now I am making quilts for my sons and me out of their Dad's shirts. I'm getting ready to make a fur coat for my great grandaughter for Christmas. Marquita

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to windsong1940 <<

Date: 11/14/12 3:12 AM

Welcome. Your list of talents is impressive. It got me thinking-have you ever used a stained glass design to create a quilt? Something with a black outline around the colors- that would look fabulous and combine your talents!

What is QOV?

Rainer
Rainer
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 10/5/10
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 12:40 PM

Welcome aboard windsong1940 :)

Sounds like you have a wonderful family and more than enough hobbies to keep you busy.

Hopefully you can teach us a thing or 2 being you been sewing for decades...so please post any tips for us that you think might be helpful. :)

PS: Sorry about the loss of your husband . 50 years..that had to be hard. My parents were together 51 years.

I hope you enjoy your stay here and by all means have fun !

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 2:53 PM

Windsong, it's a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to PR!

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

windsong1940
windsong1940
Expert/Couture
Oklahoma USA
Member since 11/11/12
Send Message

In reply to Changma <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/15/12 3:52 AM

Thank you all for the nice welcoming you've given me. I decided to post answering Changma's question about the QOV quilts. QOV stands for "Quilts of Valor" and are presented at a presentation very much in appreciation to the Service Men and Women who have been wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan and are in the VA hospitals. I've seen videos of the presentations and most of the recipitants have tears in their eyes. A lot of times the wounded seem to hit a "brick wall" in their recuperation and can't seem to get any better and being presented with a quilt often gets them past that "brick wall" and they continue to get better then. When the Soldiers are able to leave the hospital and go home, they get to take their quilts home with them. They just can't believe that there are people back here at home that think enough of them to put so much work and love into making them a quilt. I get so much joy from being able to do such a small thing as make a quilt when our Heros are giving their all to the service of our country.

I'll help answering any questions about sewing or quilting that I can. Just ask......lol I'm looking forward to being a part of this group and learning from all of you. Windsong

windsong1940
windsong1940
Expert/Couture
Oklahoma USA
Member since 11/11/12
Send Message

In reply to Changma <<

Date: 11/15/12 3:55 AM

No, I haven't given any thought to design a quilt around a stain glass pattern. You've given me something to think about. I just might have to try that out.
Windsong

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 4:08 AM

Hello and welcome. PR is full of wonderful people. I particularly love the focus on keeping things positive in the "conversations".

Check out the info on the annual get together. It is in San Francisco this year. Its a great way to meet some of the people you see here online.

Kathy

FranE
FranE  Friend of PR
Member since 10/26/10
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 1:24 PM

WelcomeI am also in Ok, Tulsa specifically. I sewed a lot yrs ago but nothing much recently. I LOVE PR even when I'm not sewing.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 3:45 PM

Welcome windsong, you have found a wonderful site here on PR.

I also, have a son in the Air Force, who is an Engineer He is a Captain, stationed in Okinawa at this time. I hope you plan to post pictures of your creations on the Review Gallery. We always love to see new things

Again...Welcome

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 4:16 PM

Welcome to the PR site! You will really enjoy the wealth of knowledge and fun on these pages!

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. NEW to PatternReview? >> New member

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 281988-1003

photo
by: SavageCoco

Review
Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Buy Now
The City Bag

The City Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.