SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Really?! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Really?!
Who's buying all of these??
bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 9:09 AM

Amazon has the Brother CS6000 listed as "#1 best selling arts/craft/sewing item" and "#2 Most Wished for item".

I'm stunned.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/14/12 9:27 AM

That is because it just ranks as with what Amazon sells. Most people buying a sewing machine aren't buying one from Amazon. From what I read it would seem like a nice machine to take to classes as it's only 17 lbs. Seems like it gets fairly good reviews there.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

cathy45
star
cathy45
Advanced Beginner
KY USA
Member since 7/6/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 9:33 AM

Entry level sewers needing a good machine with lots of options at a low price. I've been sewing on mine for almost 5 years.

------
Cathy

"I'm not messy, I'm creative" - Mary Engelbreight

cathy45
star
cathy45
Advanced Beginner
KY USA
Member since 7/6/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 9:34 AM

oh, but did not get from Amazon...

------
Cathy

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 9:57 AM

My guess is most people who buy a machine do buy it online or at a big box store unless they are already sewing machine folks. As far as numbers go, AMAZON is probably a good measure of the market. From what I see on eBay lots of people consider anything they buy and own disposable anyway. It's sad. I bet if you really take care of one of these machines, it will last awhile and give you some good service. I bought a Euro-Pro Silk and Denim machine online back in 2003, and that machine still sews well, but it is noisy, badly finished on the inside (you could cut a finger on the innards near the bobbin case) and so on, but kept clean, it sews and came with tons of feet. So this is the appeal for many people. This machine lives at my son's house, and has an Elna to keep it company - another inexpensive machine but so much nicer to sew on even at the $70 dollars it cost me at a Seattle pawn shop.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/14/12 10:31 AM

lol my problem is I can get just as enamored by cheaper machines as I can by the ones we all drool over. To me this seems like a pretty good deal for $150.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 11/14/12 7:24 PM

I have a CS6000 from a Big Box, myself. It's an Ok machine with tons of feet, but hiccoughs on heavier fabrics. I've had it cleaned and tuned; though tech wrinkled his nose, he still got paid. It runs " tight"...makes a strained noise and the bobbin winder can be finicky necessitating a Side Winder.

Just surprised that so man folks are buying these!

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 11/14/12 8:04 PM

I too am stunned. I had a quilting student who brought this machine to class and I was fiddling with it more than I was helping her quilt. The needle threader is a PITA--two step and you can't see the little hook. The lighting is horrible. And if you decide you want it use a foot different from the one it suggests for that stitch, it has a snit and stalls. And don't get me started on thread for it! Temperamental, at best.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 11/15/12 8:21 AM

I have never successfully used the threader as it's "PITA" to learn ( user error) and just easier to thread the darned needle, myself. Why waste time when I could be sewing?

It is persnickety with thread, as has tantrums with Coats & Clark, but happily hums along with Gutterman.

OTOH< it was a HUGE advance from my previous machine.

------

cathy45
star
cathy45
Advanced Beginner
KY USA
Member since 7/6/06
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 10:02 AM

I agree the needle threader is useless, but mine uses Coats and Clark or Gutermann just fine. Switching feet is just a snap away. My problem is " foot; needle is not centered so needle must be moved to start. I have bent soo many needles on this foot it has little dent on it. :(

------
Cathy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Really?!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Simplicity 6122

photo
by: JustineSew...

Review
Silhouette Patterns 900

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.