SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Probably a dumb question. But I'll ask anyway. ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Probably a dumb question. But I'll ask anyway.
Sewncooknmom
Sewncooknmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 10:10 PM

So, I'm new to quilting. The other day I was at JA's looking at the quilting fabrics. I saw regular woven cotton fabrics. But I also saw flannel quilting cotton. What do you use that for? I'm assuming quilts? But how?

Thanks!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Sewncooknmom <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/15/12 10:16 PM

I use flannel in bigger pieces than I would for regular woven cotton, but that is just MY personal preference.

Flannel is SO soft and warm and makes a lovely cozy quilt!

Some do not use traditional batting with flannel, they use flannel in all 3 layers, because it is warm. I do use traditional batting, because I love a warm quilt.

Flannel SHRINKS, a LOT. So I wash it first, and if I want to make sure it's a certain finished size, wash and dry it twice.

------
Cathryn

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/15/12 10:30 PM

Quilts, pillow cases, pajamas... Last year I bought a lot of JA's holiday flannel fabrics and made pillowcases to wrap gifts in. They were well received!

Definitely prewash. The flannel will shrink a great deal.

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 11/16/12 9:21 AM

Quilter's Flannel is heavier, fluffier, and cozier when washed than the standard Super Sale Door Buster " Snuggle Flannels" sold by JA's. It does shrink, so allow extra yardage for shrinkage. I use Quilter's Flannel for jammies, pillow cases, quilt backings.

Snuggle Flannel , while cheaper/ yd, also is much thinner and tends to pill. Major shrinkage!

Shirting flannel is a mid wt flannel that still shrinks, but less prone to pilling and less fluffy cozy.....perfect for shirts or skirts to be layered. Moderate shrinkage.

After you prewash, always press the flannel with a good dose of starch. Not only does it tame the fluff loft for accurate cutting/sewing, but it decreases the fraying while sewing and seam finishing.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 11/16/12 9:55 AM

great info Bessiemae!

Thanks

------
Cathryn

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 11/16/12 10:48 AM

I've made several baby/kid quilts with regular cotton pieced on the top and flannel on the back. That way I don't have to fuss with piecing the flannel, but one side's extra cuddly.

I have pieced with flannel and as Cat says helps to choose a design without little pieces. It also helps to use a larger seam allowance more like a half inch.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Subject: Probably a dumb question. But Ill ask anyway. Date: 11/16/12 11:15 AM

Just a reminder and you could use it for quilts Joann is having the usual black friday flannel sales 75%. I had thought to ignore that sale until Bessie May had to say something about pillowcases. Like I really need anymore flannel though. I still have some from black friday past. I like making pillow cases.
-- Edited on 11/16/12 11:16 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 11/16/12 1:06 PM

Good information here - I am making (slowly) two flannel quilts from pieces left over from several years of kid jammie making. Good to hear the experiences of others. I did prewash because I prewash everything though, old habit. No question in my mind ever about prewashing anything. I do it - well maybe not wool or silk, which I haven't used any of in decades (O.K. silk once - and we prewashed it).
Thanks for the idea of flannel as the batting, nice idea. I am going to use high loft poly though - I wish all batting had loft and more loft, but the cotton stuff doesn't as far as I can tell - anyone know a cotton high loft?

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/16/12 1:07 PM

No Black Friday Shaninigans for me. More than enough flannel shirting to wash, starch, press for those shirts Fierce 15 desires!

Found a stash of really cool flannels I bought years ago to make wicked cool jammies for the boys....but never did. Still cool flannels w/ Vintage Marvel comic- type prints. Need to piece the yardage with coordinating solids ( waist to hip) to compensate for the nearly 6' tall teens. Like strip piecing in quilting + plaid matching. Match the seams and you're Golden. I used that technique to compensate for barely enough Yoda With Glow in the Dark Light Sabers ( really) yardage Fierce 15 HAD to have jammies and pillow case from. 15 or 5??

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 11/16/12 1:26 PM

Thanks so much for all this clear descriptive info. I teach 8th graders to sew PJs and they have taught me a lot along the way. The starching is new to me, but I can see how it will be useful. The yarn dye plaids at Joann's are especially flimsy, but the students love them. What a headache to match them in cutting and sewing as they stretch every which way. That starch tip should do the trick.

I also make hand-sewn stuffed animals with the 6th grade. At a discount store, I recently found some white, super-thick flannel that is brushed on both sides. Perfect for fluffy Polar Bears. Will have to check out Quilting Flannel, unfamiliar. Maybe similar or I just found a wonderful weirdo.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Probably a dumb question. But I'll ask anyway.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Other 1001

photo
by: triangles

Review
Vogue Patterns 1060

photo
by: Mahogany S...

Review
TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.