SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Web site Talk > Sewing blogs: wordpress vs blogspot vs ??? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing blogs: wordpress vs blogspot vs ???
What do you use to host your sewing blog?
KateS
star
KateS
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/28/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/16/12 8:03 AM

Are you happy with or have you changed where you have hosted your sewing blog? And why?

I have been using blogger for about 4 + years for my blog but have recently read recently a lot of reviews where people are saying that wordpress is a lot better and reliable/"safer" (by the way of retaining your blog and content) than blogger.
What does everyone think, is one better/more user friendly than the other? What do YOU use????

------
www.sewingforsanity.com

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 11/16/12 10:11 AM

I use wordpress and I like it. I have nothing to compare it to, though. It seems to scoop out the spam really well and it is easy to use.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
ID USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 11/16/12 12:41 PM

I have a family blog, and I use wordpress. I chose it on the advice of my SiL, who said that blogger was 'a pain'. HTH

thaiyal
star
thaiyal
Beginner
ON CANADA
Member since 9/28/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/16/12 2:41 PM

After a year of wordpress, I went back to blogger very recently. I had used blogger for 5 yrs before I wanted a break from blogging.

I used only free blogs provided by wordpress and blogger.

The only issue in Wordpress that made me go back to blogger was that Wordpress did not have a automatic blogroll updates for a free wordpress blog. The paid version has it. The blogroll in the free wordpress was just a bunch of links.. Whereas blogger has a blogroll option, which would update my blogroll links, with the latest posts, and also sort all my links in the order they are published. This sort is optional.

This feature was a deal breaker for me.

Lena Merrin
star
Lena Merrin
Expert/Couture
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/5/09
Send Message

Date: 11/16/12 9:30 PM

I was on free wordpress before moving on to self hosted wordpress. I have no experience with blogger, but can always recognize wordpress blogs by cleaner and more professional look.

------
www.iconicpatterns.com

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 7:44 AM

I've used both and dislike them equally. I LOVE Squarespace, and used it for about 7 years, but it's not free.

Since I'm trying to cut back, I've started using blogger again. Bleh. But hey, it is free.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 11/19/12 5:49 AM

I've only used wordpress as a 'contributor' to someone else's blog (like 'wesewretro' one). And found the GUI a bit clunky and illogical. Prefer blogger but maybe its coz its what I'm used to.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/19/12 7:33 AM

I have used both. I used Blogger to start out blogging and found it easy to learn. Wordpress has a few more "whistles and bells" and looks a little more professional than Blogger.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/19/12 12:30 PM

I've had blogs on a variety of platforms, and speaking as both a blogger and a blog reader, Wordpress is my favorite, and Blogger is my least favorite. (I've only ever used the free versions).

The deal-breaker for me is that Wordpress will allow readers to subscribe to your posts VIA EMAIL. They don't have to come to your blog to see if you've updated it. I never got the hang of a blogroll, so I prefer finding new blogs that will allow me to subscribe this way. It lets me get caught up without having to do an extra step.

I also think Blogger is just more difficult to use, and the interface is not that user-friendly. It also doesn't seem to play as nicely with a variety of browsers.

YMMV, but I would recommend you take a look at your favorite blogs TO READ, in terms of ease of use and navigability and the available features that the bloggers use (keeping in mind some of those may be paid options), and choose that way.

Have fun!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 11/19/12 12:50 PM

I am with stirwatersblue on this one. I blog on Wordpress. I started in 2004 on Blogger and moved to Multiply a little later also tried livejournal for a very very short time. I just did not like Blogger at all, can't put my finger on it but we never gelled.
I left Multiply as it got clunkier and really did not fit my needs anymore. Wordpress did and does. One of the best things I find is that you can use many different templates, until you find the one that suits you best.
Been with them for 6 years I think. So far not considering moving at all.

Gilraen

------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Sewing blogs: wordpress vs blogspot vs ???

Merchants on PR

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Butterick 5521

photo
by: sertyan

Review
New Look 6144

photo
by: Gatorbunny

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Pants Sewing DVD

Pants Sewing DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.