SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > So Confused ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
So Confused
Fabric for Slips or Maybe Lining for Knits?
bicrafty
bicrafty
Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 6/30/12
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 9:27 AM

I'm planning on making two skirts and tops with two knit fabrics that I love but are just a little too see-through. There's also a knit wrap dress I'd like to make that is also just a little too sheer in spots.

At first I was looking at lining them all. But budget trumps all and it seemed cheaper to just make slip, half-slip, and camisole to wear with all.

I've been researching free slip patterns and have found enough that if I run into trouble with one I could probably use another for info/inspiration.

The problem is that it seems like slip fabric (nylon tricot) is more expensive than fabric that I could just line with and even with a reduced amount of yardage needed is still more expensive than the yardage of cheaper fabric needed for lining.

Like I said, budget trumps all. I need the cheapest way out of this conundrum with as much quality as possible.

My head is spinning with all the different fabrics and prices and knit vs. woven slips/linings and sales going on at Joanne's and Hancocks. Plus, (this is just a bonus question for reading this far, lol) are there Black Friday sales on such places or online?

Haha, thanks for reading my ramble! Any info is helpful and will be appreciated!

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 9:36 AM

You don't necessarily have to use "slip fabric"; find something in lining that seems similar- it will be a separate lining. I've had several dresses over the years that came with a separate slip-like garment.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/17/12 10:03 AM

You could use a poly charmeuse for your slip and those can be pretty inexpensive at the chains. Forewarning, they can be warm but if just a strap style you should be OK. Just keep it out of the armpits.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to bicrafty <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 11/17/12 11:35 AM

Double your knit fabric and use as one fabric layer.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to bicrafty <<

Date: 11/17/12 1:30 PM

Somethings are often less expensive to buy, rather than to sew and make. Underware is sometimes one of them. If you just want a slip or a cami top, and you don't already have the fabric in your fabric stash, bought on sale at a good price somewhere or could not cut up something else at your house to get the fabric to do that, I think it's actually way less expensive to just go to some discount place like Ross or Marshalls and buy those things. Just because they have nice good name slips and cami's that maybe cost $20-$30 in the department stores, for something like only $7 or $8 often. Even less if marked down on sale. At that point, if you actually had to pay $6 or $7 dollars a yard or more for some nylon tricot if that is what you want some place, and buy a pattern or even trace off one for free, and add in your sewing time, you probably would not be always coming out ahead time or money wise.

Nice thing about sewing, is you can pick and choose what to sew each time. So if $ is the most important thing, sometimes that also just drives what you choose to pick and sew. I know it does for me sometimes.

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 5:58 PM

I'm not sure what your budget is, and sometimes it's hard to justify the shipping expense when ordering only one fabric online.

However, I did find nylon tricot at Fabric.com that is $5.98 yard. It is super wide - 108 inches! - so I think you could get a half slip and at least one camisole out of only 1 yard. With shipping at $3.95 you're still under $10. I have ordered this fabric before from them and it's a nice lightweight nylon tricot, perfect for classic slips and camisoles.

Fabric.com Nylon Tricot

Also, I wouldn't recommend polyester for lining as it doesn't breathe as well as nylon, cotton or even rayon.

The other option is to self-line with the knit you're using if you all ready have enough of it.

HTH and good luck!

------
Liz

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 6:03 PM

I have another suggestion, that depends on how much fabric you have for your tops.

Sometimes I will make a tank top (or camisole) out of the leftover knit fabric from a knit top. There is usually enough fabric, but often I will make a CB seam in the tank top to make it fit on the leftover fabric. These come in very handy as camisole-like liners to wear under anything, including the same-fabric knit top.

HTH

------
Liz

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/17/12 7:42 PM

You might want to try this tip. I think this is a fantastic tip and will totally use it soon.

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

In reply to Lynnelle <<

Date: 11/17/12 8:01 PM

That is a great tip!

I will be keeping my eyes out for inexpensive vintage & thrift store slips now.

------
Liz

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

Date: 11/18/12 8:24 AM

I agree with GoSewGirl; I use the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Mustard Seed Thrift to find articles of clothing I do not want to sew and/or purchase very large garments to use the fabrics. In these economic times, one can get nice articles on the cheap. Due to our knowledge of fabrics, one can determine if the garment is worth cutting down to use. It is one source to think about; just saying.
-- Edited on 11/18/12 8:25 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> So Confused

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2012-114

photo
by: Merche

Review
SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

SewBaby Snappy Wrap Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.