SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Why do my t-shirts ride up? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why do my t-shirts ride up?
maybe it's not the FBA...
idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 10:46 AM

I've been working on a basic t-shirt pattern for about 2 months now, with no success. I've tried a combination of Jalie, Ottobre, and SewLiberated patterns, using both the cheater-FBA and the unsewn-dart-eased-in method. No matter what I do, one problem remains - when I raise my arms, the shirt hikes up - and stays there! When I lower my arms, I have major wrinkles above my bust

I thought that I just needed to keep adding width at the bust, but yesterday I went and tried on every RTW t-shirt I have, and I discovered that my very tightest shirt does NOT do this, while every other one does - with the loosest ones being some of the worst offenders!

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what causes it?

PS - I am about a 34/36 at the shoulders, but my full bust would have me sew a 42. My full bust circumference is 35 inches - 15 across my back and 20 in the front. I also seem to need a lot of rise in my sleeve cap - not sure what causes that.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 11:02 AM

Tossing this out...maybe your sleeve is too tight or your armscye is not cut low enough, and gets caught under the arm. Can you lay your project on top of a better-fitting shirt of the same type/fabric and compare measurements?
-- Edited on 11/17/12 11:34 AM --

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 11:09 AM

I'm wondering if it's the fabric? Maybe some types of fabric are just more prone to riding up and staying there?

And I have to ask (not in a mean way or anything, but just curious)... does it really matter if you have to pull your shirt down after you raise your arms?? Is it that big of a deal??

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/17/12 11:20 AM

My guess is that the armscye is too big/too low. On your tight RTW, is the sleeve/body seam nice and close to your body? It is those low arm holes that pull everything up when you lift your arms.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/17/12 11:30 AM

Really? Now I am so totally confused. Is this true with wovens AND knits?

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Changma <<
thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 11/17/12 11:39 AM

Yes.

Think of undies around your ankles. Try to walk like that.

Think of undies back where they should be, close-fitting around the legs. Much easier to walk now.

Same with armholes. If they're too low, the arms have limited movement and the top gets dragged upwards when the arms are raised. If the armhole is higher and close to the armpit, the arms have full movement and the top isn't dragged when the arms are raised.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 11/17/12 11:42 AM

Ooohhh...

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 12:41 PM

Why not use one of those RTW shirts as your pattern. You could cut apart one that fits and behaves well and use it to compare with the paper patterns.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to idahodogs <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/17/12 1:46 PM

Great advice here...just one other thought. You said you were adding more "width" to the bust area. Have you done an actual FBA where you add length too? If you are large busted(I'm a 34DD)you have to add length as well as the width. If altering your armholes doesn't do the trick, might try a "real" FBA instead of the Cheater.

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
Idaho USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 11/17/12 4:51 PM

I've done both the cheater and the 'real' FBA - although I eased in my dart instead of sewing it. I usually have to do a petite alteration above the bust, which I haven't done on this project... and maybe that's the problem!!

I'm now hypothesizing that by skipping the petite alteration, my armscye is ending up too low... thus creating the pulling up thing that tourist mentioned. I shall compare my tight t-shirt to my muslins and see.

Fabric could also be part of it - my fitted T is a very thin, almost tissue-knit 4-way stretch. I have been muslining with a lightly heavier, but still very stretchy 4-way. The shirts that ride up the most are made of the heavier stuff that unisex/men's tees are usually made of.

I don't mind pulling my shirt down a bit every once in a while, but having to constantly tug at it is annoying. I'll settle for it in RTW, but if I can fix it - well, that's why I make my own clothes!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Why do my t-shirts ride up?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2012-2

photo
by: Janiki

Review
Pin-up Girls 7571: Anita Lace Foam Cup

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.