SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > cordless roman shades ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
cordless roman shades
hardware/mechanism sources
CarolH
CarolH  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 12/29/04
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 6:39 PM

A couple of years ago, I heard someone talk about developing/patenting a mechanism that would enable home dec professionals (and other sewers) to create cordless roman shades. I've heard nothing more and can't find anything online. I sure would appreciate hearing rom anyone who knows if/where this hardware can be found.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 11/17/12 8:08 PM

I never heard about cordless roman shades. I have cordless accordion blinds, I wonder if the hardware from those could be used somehow? But that might get a bit pricey to purchase blinds and then rip them apart.

Scrappy Gram
Scrappy Gram
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/27/03
Send Message

In reply to CarolH <<

Date: 11/17/12 8:43 PM

Many of the major blinds companies offer cordless Roman shades.

CarolH
CarolH  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 12/29/04
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<

Date: 11/27/12 6:08 AM

Though cordless roman shades can occasionally be found commercially, their mechanism is proprietary and, of course, I'd rather pick my own fabric. I may end up buying cordless accordion blinds. Do you like the ones you have and, if you don't mind sharing the info, where did you buy them?

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/27/12 1:42 PM

Try Terrell Designs. I know she carries child-safe hardware, that meets the current industry safety standards; she may carry the hardware you are looking for.

At any rate, her website is a great resource for making your own Roman Shades.

CMC

AndreaSews
star
AndreaSews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/3/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/28/12 0:13 AM

You might try Rowley Company (online) if you haven't located the supplies yet.

------
Happy Sewing,

Andrea
Babylock Evolve, Singer Featherweight, Janome, and a very old Kenmore hiding in the closet

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 7:58 AM

Years ago, I saw instructions that called for running the pleating cords up the back of the blinds and stapling them to the wooden roller of an ordinary roller shade- the kind that you raise by tugging on the bottom and lower by gently pulling it down Naturally, it was right about the time they started using metal rollers instead of wood, so I never got around to trying it.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 9:22 AM

There are such mechanisms available through wholesale suppliers to drapery workrooms. You generally have to have a business with a sales tax license and/or federal employer ID number to purchase from them.
In the last few years there were so many lawsuits involving children being injured from shade cords that it necessitated finding better systems to raise and lower Roman shades.
If you make them for your own home, you can use both a shade lock and a cleat to wind the cords on to keep them out of the way.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

CarolH
CarolH  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 12/29/04
Send Message

In reply to MartiP <<

Date: 11/28/12 10:18 AM

I do have a sewing business so that's no problem but I've yet to find a supplier for the mechanism - guess I need to keep searching.

Thanks for your help!

CarolH
CarolH  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 12/29/04
Send Message

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 11/28/12 10:22 AM

Terrell is a great resource for all things roman shades! Last time I checked with her, she didn't have access to cordless mechanisms but maybe it's time to check again.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> cordless roman shades

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 1051

photo
by: Jrhee

Review
Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.