SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Janome Horizon 8900 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Janome Horizon 8900
.... anyone buy one, test drive one, hear anything about it?
Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 0:10 AM

I am hearing that this machine is unreal but I am hearing that mainly from dealers I have been talking with. My dealer has offered me a good deal that is very, very tempting. But, the thought of buying a new release is tad unnerving with all those bugs inherent in a new release just dying to come out of the woodwork.

Has anyone bought one or done a serious test drive? Does it perform any better than the 7700 (or 66600 for that matter).? Are 1/4 seams accurate? How about the issue the 6600 and 7700 have with going over seams - is this problem solved in the 8900??

Would love to hear any comments - good, bad, even ugly!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Canadian Jane <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/20/12 7:21 AM

It's a Janome doubtful it would have bugs. I've never heard of a new release Janomre with anything major. If you are getting it under $3K I would grab it.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/20/12 8:51 AM

The Horizon 7700 had its bugs when it first came out. I was not the only one that got a lemon or one with problems. Janome did a wonderful job in addressing and fixing all the issues quickly.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 11:20 AM

That sounds promising, especially about the part dealing with lemons.

But... anyone know about the difficulty going over intersecting seams? (topstitching or other?) Are 1/4 seams (or other) accurate? Is there any thread or material it just doesn't like?

I know it is supposed to be wonderful. I don't really care about the bells and whistles. Of course they are lovely and who wouldn't want to have them. I am wondering if the machine actually SEWs well, sews consistently, and is reliable.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Canadian Jane <<

Date: 11/20/12 11:48 AM

I hope someone can answer these questions for you. They are very important!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 12:12 PM

::::sigh:::::

The going-over-seams-complaints (on the internet) with the 7700 irk me.

I saw the pictures someone posted about how one person was bellyaching about sewing straight over a simple seam on quilting cotton. :::ugh again:::: ... and when I looked at that pic, the gal already was waaaaay off a straight seam *before* and *after* the seam intersection.

As for accurate 1/4 inch seams... I will say that the clear piecing/stitch in the ditch foot that Janome sells is better for me to get decent scant 1/4 inch seams than using the metal O2 foot. The O2 foot seems to require moving the needle over a little on my machine (with me sewing - maybe others do things differently?!?!?) ... but anyway... moving the needle defeats the benefit of having the auto straight stitch needleplate, IMO.

So if you go look at these machines... I suggest you take a scant 1/4 inch ruler (there's a long thread here that I posted about the 7700 and contains this subject and it shows that ruler - it has a hole in it that the machine's needle goes into so you can accurately measure your 1/4 guide on the foot) ... anyway... take that ruler with you and try out the different feet.

MAKE SURE (IMO) that you also try the clear foot.

I am *not* an avid quilter (at least yet! lol) .. but I was throwing together a true scrap-derived quilt and I flopped between using my EG and the Horizon and discovered how off some of the sizes of the little 1 inch pieces were when put up next to a 4 inch square... which made me go look closely at how my machines were sewing the 1/4 inch seams.

It seems that the O2 foot is what was causing me to be off unless I change the needle position.

Keep in mind that the 8200 and 8900 are 9mm stitch width capable machines... the 7700 is only 7mm.

I haven't tried the 9mm wide models... but I know having my new 7mm wide machines compared to my 5mm wide ancient-good-ol'-girl-Elna... I'm not even tempted to go look at 9mm versions. Other than decorative stitches, I personally think the width is not a benefit to getting good stitches. (that's just me) :)

Anyway... be sure and try the different feet for that machine. They very well might be wonderful and produce the results you want.

Last thing... as far as new lemons go... I wouldn't be so concerned about these machines because they are still based off of the 7700 and there isn't a rash of known issues happening on that front in the past year or two.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Tool junkie at heart!

Bernina 880 Sterling Edition & Bernina 550qe

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 11/20/12 12:52 PM

Thanks Ripstitcher.

I agree with you about the 9mm opening. I have 9mm now and I really do not like it. That is one thing I don't like about this machine right off the bat.

What I have learned is that for a lot of fabrics - most things really - you are better off sewing with the single hole needle plate. Otherwise, fabrics like flanels for example, feel "wobbly" and you may not get a perfectly straight seam. The 'softer" the fabric the worse it gets. While I think some feet might help with this problem better than others, it is still the size of the hole creating the problem. It's like the fabric droops into the hole a bit while you sew.

People won't agree with me. They will say "oh those lovely 9mm stitches". That is a matter of personal preference. I prefer 7mm deco stitches. It is not always easy to size down the stitch smaller - at least for me. Too each his/her own in that regard.

I have heard though that the 8900 has "new and improved" feed dogs over the 7700 and the accufeed system is easier to contend with. These things, the feed dogs in particular, could create some issues. But it sounds like Janome steps up to the plate and acknowleges problems and fixes them. Unlike certain other brands..

Very encouraging.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 1:15 PM

So we're on the same front when it comes to the 9mm vs 7mm thing.

Then you should look at the 7700s ... right now, you could get a decent deal.

The single hole needleplate automatic gizmo on the 7700 is nice.. but geeez... it's weird to me that the distance from that center needle position (to use that single hole needle plate) to the edge of the O2 foot guide is *not* a scant 1/4 inch for me.

Makes me wanna make sure..... sooooo....

I just went over to the 7700 to mess with that ruler again. And yes.. it's not even close to being a scant 1/4 inch seam with the needle position as center with the O2 foot. I took a couple of pictures on my iPhone.... I guess I'll have to write a post on my newly-formed blog about this so I can refer to it instead of another post here that just gets lost.

I was slapping together some of those scraps as meditative down time for me while I was in the midst of moving last week. So I wasn't as careful as I should have been - I should have measured that foot setup before stitchin' - but it was just scraps... my bad! I guess I used the clear foot last time I did some piecing on that machine - and that foot is fine. This darn O2 foot, though, is wider from center needle position to the guide so it sure made my last panel of pieces wonky.

------

Tool junkie at heart!

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 1:22 PM

Oh.. about the AcuFeed thing... ( I call it DFG - Dual Feed Gizmo) ...

There's nothing wrong with the one on the 7700. It's an amazing thing. IMO, it blows the doors off of all the variations of IDT type feed systems that only grab fabric from behind the needle. This feeds fabric from the sides *before* the fabric is presented to the needle. Makes a whole lot more sense.

Oh... and for what your'e sayin' about the fabric getting shoved down in the needleplate and distorting stitches... you really should analyze the way that DFG system works - it might be the thing that gets you excited. The DFG (IMO) supports the fabric *very* well around the needle - lessening the the ability for the fabric to be punched down into the oval hole in the needleplate.

Some people complained about the 7700's DFG prongs (when not engaged) catching on their project. Personally, I don't get that. I guess I don't sew with fabric getting piled up immediately behind the presser foot - which is what would have to be the case to catch on those prongs.

The new version now has the whole mechanism within the foot being attached - no more upper feed prongs hanging out behind the foot.

Also.. the new versions have a slimmer foot version as well - that might be interesting - but I haven't had the situation come up to make me wish I had a slimmer walking-type (DFG) foot. (and with the bags I've made, etc... I think I've done a fair job of putting the 7700 through her paces)

------

Tool junkie at heart!

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

missticky2
missticky2
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/09
Send Message

Date: 11/20/12 2:06 PM

I can't comment too much on the 8900 because I personally haven't tried it but someone on the yahoo group, who had either bought or tried the machine, made the comment that it sewed beautifully over seams and didn't veer off at all like the 7700 does. I personally haven't had too many problems with that on my 7700 although it has happened but not enough to be a problem to me.

I've also heard from a dealer that you can't start sewing from the edge of the fabric with the dual feed system because the top prongs aren't forward quite enough to grab the fabric when you're on the edge. Again, I haven't tried the machine so can't comment but it might be something to check out if you're considering buying the machine

------
Blessings
Janice

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Janome Horizon 8900

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Butterick 5030

photo
by: j Renee De...

Review

Pattern

McCall's M5467

photo
by: ggf2005

Review
Sew Liberated Ashland Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Ashland Dress Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.