Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > machine recommendation for starter? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
machine recommendation for starter?
machine recommendation for starter?
haihuang
haihuang
Member since 11/24/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/24/12 10:20 PM

I want to start do some basic sewing, starting with pillow, fixing clothes, to bedding, quilt, etc.

i was considering Janome 7330 first, but got scared by its services (dealer handle only). And then i look into Bernnet 20 (Bernina price too high), there are some many bad reviews out there on that machine.

Would you help me recommend a good machine, that have a good customer services (in case i run into lots of issues), support different pattern, adjust thread tension automatically, support little bit more pattern, one step button hole, etc.

Thank you! - Huang

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 3/4/05

In reply to haihuang <<

Date: 11/24/12 11:05 PM

The Janome 7330 is a great machine to start with and it's nice to have dealer support. They do sell on eBay but if you ever needed any adjustments you would probably have to mail it back to the seller, if they are a store selling machines. Having a local dealer would avoid having to do that and many of them will match internet prices from online sellers who have their own websites. I know my local dealer will.

Dawnabbey
star
Dawnabbey  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 12/18/10

Date: 11/24/12 11:32 PM

It seems like you are searching for a good machine around the $400 mark (the price for the machines you listed). I highly recommend the Juki HZL-K85. If you read the current threads you will find that Juki is praised to the heavens for it's reliability, strength and ease of use. I have a little Brother CS-6000i that I bought for $160 and I love it but it seems like you want a bit more machine. The HZL-K85 has 150 stitches and is computerized. Alternately you could get a good Kenmore like the 19233 from Sears. My mom has only bought 1 Singer and 2 Kenmore machines in her lifetime and she will be 70 next year. I do encourage you to get something that will last. Happy Shopping!

------
Stitching, sharing every day, makes life sweet in every way, just add a friend and a family and the days drift by so merrily!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Date: 11/25/12 4:59 AM

Welcome to PR. If you set a budget and have time it would be fun to visit all your dealers within a decent drive. I have found that even in the same brand, each dealer or sales person explained things differently. Tell them what you want to do and give them a range then try out the machines. It's always good to bring home a bargain and if you find a dealership that clicks, well that's a bonus. Have fun and let us know what you bought.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 4/1/12

Date: 11/25/12 10:39 PM

I will recommend the Brother PRW 210 or 420. Also, buy the extension table to go with it. The reason I recommend it for a beginner is (2) Brother manuals are the best. You can understand the directions and they are thorough. (3) There are many Brother warranty centers around the country (unlike Singer). Go online and look to see who near who does Brother. That way, you can order from Amazon, play with it for 30 days, see how you like it. It is a good sturdy machine with lots of features but easy to use.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

haihuang
haihuang
Member since 11/24/12

Date: 11/26/12 0:01 AM

Thank you all for helping! The problem is that none of Janome and Juki dealer is closer to me, except Bernina. Should i be concerned if i'm far away from dealer? BTW, do you have experience with Bernina Bernette line, such as 20 or 25? The review on this website is extremely good, but i found some other sites not so good.

Will also check on the recommended brother/kenmore machine.

Thank you! - Huang

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11

Date: 11/26/12 1:49 AM

All of those are good machines -

Might I suggest an old one from craigslist or something?

There can be very good machines that are used -- and I was pretty hard on my sewing machines b-4 I knew what their job was-vs what my job was...

------
Quilting up a storm!

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 3/2/11

In reply to haihuang <<

Date: 11/26/12 9:55 AM

I will agree with Portland Maine, I highly recommend the Bernina 1008. It is a mechanical and often they are sold on ebay for around 400.

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, Serger 1100DC

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12

Date: 11/26/12 10:54 AM

If you're just starting out, and you want to keep the price down.....

I think the Brother SE440 is a simply AMAZING machine for the $$$$.

The cool thing about a machine like this is that you can grow into everything it does and you'll be able to discover where your interests lie. :)

I bought one earlier this summer just to see if I had any interest in doing machine embroidery. I got it from Amazon. I just went to look if they still were selling this model, and found that the price went down a little:

Brother SE400 on Amazon

If you don't already have it, you can get a free 30 day trial to Amazon Prime and you won't pay shipping. (I did this, and wound up keeping it - it's been a great value for me)

The wonderful thing about Amazon is that if you buy it, you get a month to try out the machine and see if you like it. If you don't, you just fill out an online form and they will send UPS to pick it up at no cost to you.

The fun thing about this little machine is that it does come with a load of feet, and a terrific assortment of stitches to give you some things to play with if you're doing home dec. stuff.

And you didn't mention if you're looking at doing any embroidery work... but even if you're not (right now)... it sure would be sweet to have the capabilities of this machine at your disposal if you did decide you wanted to personalize something or do some designs on pillows, etc. At least if you feel you wanted to try embroidery, it wouldn't mean going back out and buying another whole, new, machine.

Personally, I wouldn't get too wound up over servicing these kind of machines at this price point. Once (if ever) you get into spending more, then the warranties and service become a bigger issue.

Lastly... and OMG... these are fantastic... you should check out the free classes on Craftsy.com ... there is one for beginner sewing machine maintenance you might enjoy.... here's the link to it:

Sewing Machine 911 on Craftsy.com

Hope this helps you...

------
My projects (and life and times!) are on www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger
APQS George ... oh heck... go Millie!

2014: Sold the 7700 to make room for a 5.5mm machine alongside side my Ellie.
2013: Wow.. no real new toys - too much family drama!!!!
2012: New Elna Lotus for granddaughter, Red Elna Press, Horizon 7700, Gidget 2 Table, Babylock Ellisimo Gold
1970's: Elna SU62 & ElnaPress

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to haihuang <<

Date: 11/26/12 11:15 AM

Your location can be a factor.

If you are in the US, there are many choices.

It is important to stick with a sewing machine dealer. You have your list. Include budget and then take the list with you as you visit as many dealers as you can find.

The dealer will show you what is available within your budget. They will demo the machine and then let you try it out.

Ask them to demo the buttonhole feature as well as the blind hemming feature.

Dealers sell used as well as new machines.

A dealer services what he/she sells.

A dealer can assist you if you have a question or need assistance.

A dealer will show you how to operate the sewing machine and some dealers offer lessons as well as classes.

Buy the machine from the dealer you like the best as he/she may become your next best friend.

Once you have decided, if the machine does not come with a walking foot and 1/4" foot for piecing/top stitching and finishing a quilt, ask if they will include these feet with the purchase price.

Take your time, make notes and then make your purchase.

Happy shopping.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> machine recommendation for starter?

Merchants on PR
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Wild Ginger Slinky Skirt & Wrap Top PMB3 & Curves
photo
Review by MaryBeth on 5/31/04
Read Review

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern
You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Details
Price: $27.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Bedtime Story Pajamas Digital Pattern (Size 6M-3T)
Oliver + S Bedtime Story Pajamas Digital Pattern (Size 6M-3T)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Vanessa Top and Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Vanessa Top and Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6216
photo
Review by Virginia H... on 11/20/13
Read Review

New Look 6142 Pattern
New Look 6142 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6234 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10 )
McCalls 6234 Pattern ( Size 7-8-10 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN