SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740 ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740
New Pfaff Quilt Expression 4
Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/25/12 7:55 AM

Well to make a long story short - I took a chunk out of my Elna bobbin case and it had to go to the repair shop. This left me sewing on my Janome 4900 which I have always adored and used for my travel machine. Well after a few days of sewing alot, I realized that my back up machine needed to have a bigger harp, dual feed and an auto cutter. So I took my quilt sandwich, pieces of jeans and scraps to test drive a few machines. I ended up buying a QE4. After a few days, 2 runners later, I think I made a very good choice. here is my first runner made as I explored the features of the QE4. Top pic shows a 9mm decorative stitch, which I did not think I needed but 9mm makes a bigger design indeed.

photo

photo
-- Edited on 11/25/12 7:56 AM --

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 11/25/12 8:22 AM

Congratulations on your new machine! Great table runner too. If you like decorative stitches those 9mm ones are really addicting!

------
Bernina 880, Bernina350SE,

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to JanyceR <<

Date: 11/25/12 8:27 AM

Yep I can see that I am going to like that 9mm. Initially, on my list of features I did not want a 9mm due to conflicting reviews and comments on its pros and cons. Thus far, the 9mm has not caused me any issues.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/25/12 10:02 AM

Quote: Julkane
Yep I can see that I am going to like that 9mm. Initially, on my list of features I did not want a 9mm due to conflicting reviews and comments on its pros and cons. Thus far, the 9mm has not caused me any issues.

I am so curious! What problems are there with 9mm stitches??

So far I have not had any, except the one time my timing was off, and NO stitch is going to work well if the timing is off! I always use them when quilting and for making blankets.

Congrats on your new machine!! Nice table runner!

I have been SERIOUSLY considering a travel/backup machine. But I don't want one without IDT (although now I know the PFAFF patent for IDT has expired so now other manufacturers have their own version-opens up possibilities for me!!) I just don't want to spend the $$ on a new one so I would definitely get a used one from my dealer.

------
Cathryn

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 11/25/12 11:10 AM

I love those deco stitches on the Expression machines! Great choice and great table runner!

------
Quilting up a storm!

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 11/25/12 5:26 PM

I am not sure about the 9mm width causing issues with pieces but I have read several threads that the large width of the dogfeed doesn't allow good traction for 1/4 inch seams. Several mention having to use the ss plate. I will let you know if I agree about the 9mm after I do some more piecing.

------

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/25/12 10:31 PM

Quote: Julkane
I am not sure about the 9mm width causing issues with pieces but I have read several threads that the large width of the dogfeed doesn't allow good traction for 1/4 inch seams. Several mention having to use the ss plate. I will let you know if I agree about the 9mm after I do some more piecing.

Oh, OK!

Well, I have never had a problem with a true 1/4" seam. I just move my needle over, so the same amount of fabric is on the feed dogs.

I know some people think moving the needle is not something they want to do, they like to change their foot to a 1/4" foot.

I am just the opposite, I think changing feet is a PITA, I'd much rather just move the needle over!

------
Cathryn

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 11/26/12 7:54 AM

Yes PortlandMaine, I think I may become a fan of those 9mm deco stitches.

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/26/12 12:34 PM

That looks like a really nice machine. Have lots of fun with it. Nice stitch package

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/26/12 6:06 PM

Thanks quiltingwolf. I am not sure which machine I like better now, the QE4 or the Elna 740. The Elna is quieter and has better lighting and better measure markings, both have Dual Feed but I have already fallen in love with the QE4 auto presser foot and pivot features. I bought the QE4 as my back up and travel machine so it will get used alot.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Indygo Junction 866

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Chloe Handbag

Chloe Handbag

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

Buy Now
StyleArc Cosy Cardi

photo
by: PattyE

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.