SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740 ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740
New Pfaff Quilt Expression 4
Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/25/12 7:55 AM

Well to make a long story short - I took a chunk out of my Elna bobbin case and it had to go to the repair shop. This left me sewing on my Janome 4900 which I have always adored and used for my travel machine. Well after a few days of sewing alot, I realized that my back up machine needed to have a bigger harp, dual feed and an auto cutter. So I took my quilt sandwich, pieces of jeans and scraps to test drive a few machines. I ended up buying a QE4. After a few days, 2 runners later, I think I made a very good choice. here is my first runner made as I explored the features of the QE4. Top pic shows a 9mm decorative stitch, which I did not think I needed but 9mm makes a bigger design indeed.

photo

photo
-- Edited on 11/25/12 7:56 AM --

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 11/25/12 8:22 AM

Congratulations on your new machine! Great table runner too. If you like decorative stitches those 9mm ones are really addicting!

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to JanyceR <<

Date: 11/25/12 8:27 AM

Yep I can see that I am going to like that 9mm. Initially, on my list of features I did not want a 9mm due to conflicting reviews and comments on its pros and cons. Thus far, the 9mm has not caused me any issues.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/25/12 10:02 AM

Quote: Julkane
Yep I can see that I am going to like that 9mm. Initially, on my list of features I did not want a 9mm due to conflicting reviews and comments on its pros and cons. Thus far, the 9mm has not caused me any issues.

I am so curious! What problems are there with 9mm stitches??

So far I have not had any, except the one time my timing was off, and NO stitch is going to work well if the timing is off! I always use them when quilting and for making blankets.

Congrats on your new machine!! Nice table runner!

I have been SERIOUSLY considering a travel/backup machine. But I don't want one without IDT (although now I know the PFAFF patent for IDT has expired so now other manufacturers have their own version-opens up possibilities for me!!) I just don't want to spend the $$ on a new one so I would definitely get a used one from my dealer.

------
Cathryn

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 11/25/12 11:10 AM

I love those deco stitches on the Expression machines! Great choice and great table runner!

------
Quilting up a storm!

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 11/25/12 5:26 PM

I am not sure about the 9mm width causing issues with pieces but I have read several threads that the large width of the dogfeed doesn't allow good traction for 1/4 inch seams. Several mention having to use the ss plate. I will let you know if I agree about the 9mm after I do some more piecing.

------

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/25/12 10:31 PM

Quote: Julkane
I am not sure about the 9mm width causing issues with pieces but I have read several threads that the large width of the dogfeed doesn't allow good traction for 1/4 inch seams. Several mention having to use the ss plate. I will let you know if I agree about the 9mm after I do some more piecing.

Oh, OK!

Well, I have never had a problem with a true 1/4" seam. I just move my needle over, so the same amount of fabric is on the feed dogs.

I know some people think moving the needle is not something they want to do, they like to change their foot to a 1/4" foot.

I am just the opposite, I think changing feet is a PITA, I'd much rather just move the needle over!

------
Cathryn

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 11/26/12 7:54 AM

Yes PortlandMaine, I think I may become a fan of those 9mm deco stitches.

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 11/26/12 12:34 PM

That looks like a really nice machine. Have lots of fun with it. Nice stitch package

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/26/12 6:06 PM

Thanks quiltingwolf. I am not sure which machine I like better now, the QE4 or the Elna 740. The Elna is quieter and has better lighting and better measure markings, both have Dual Feed but I have already fallen in love with the QE4 auto presser foot and pivot features. I bought the QE4 as my back up and travel machine so it will get used alot.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Bought a sister machine for my Elna 740

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

More Info
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

More Info
McCall's 6242

photo
by: Sewlful

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.