SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Just ordered a Koala sewing room!!! ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Just ordered a Koala sewing room!!!
Very excited and can't wait to get it...
1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/25/12 7:47 PM

My dealer was have an amazing sale on Koala and I couldn't pass it up...they worked up a super deal for me that was incredible. They really are the greatest!

I ordered a Sewmate Plus IV with outback leaf, a Cub Plus IV with outback leaf, a Rollabout Plus with the corner top along with the wood sewing machine insert and chair. Total price with delivery and tax was $5000. Yes, it is alot, but considering what I ordered and what that grouping can normally go for, I'm very very pleased and can't wait for it to be delivered. I chose the color African Ebony.

I've been drooling over Koala since I bought my Ellisimo Gold and now am going to have my dream studio. My room is about 12 x 10, so it's not large and I have wall unit on one wall. So this will be a corner grouping and I plan on using the Sewmate with the outback leaf for cutting and when I want, I can roll out the Cub Plus and use that to lay out pieces while I'm sewing on the SewMate. I really wanted one of the larger pieces, but they are huge (and heavy). The nice thing with the pieces I ordered is they are small enough to wheel about in my sewing/office room and allow me to move about, but large enough to work on all sorts of projects.

I'll post pictures when I get them delivered.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 11/25/12 7:57 PM

Congrats!!!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 2:04 AM

You are smart to go with 2 smaller pieces. I got the DualMate and somewhat regret it. I think it would be much nicer to sit in the middle of the table and have room free to expand on both sides. Plus it is much more flexible on room layout.
Excited for you! They give great customer service. Please post a review with pics after delivery.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 9:50 AM

That is an amazing price! Those are exactly the pieces I would have picked for my space which is 11 x 10 And has a twin bed and a book shelf unit in it. Will love to see pics at some point!

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 11/26/12 1:13 PM

It's nice to hear from other Koala cabinet owners that have the larger units and see how they like them. If my room was bigger and I could have one of the bigger cabinets stay stationary, then I would have ordered one possibly. But I thought trying to maneuver something that big and then to put up the outback leaf would leave me no room.

The online planner really helped. I was able to figure out all sorts of configurations and made sure what each cabinet looked like opened and closed. I did request two adjustments. First, I asked for two fabric palettes on the SewMate since I didn't have any need for the notions palette with the holes for scissors and areas for pins, cups, etc. I wanted a completely flat surface for cutting when I swing the side palettes closed. Second, on the Cub Plus, I requested an extended side fabric palette that is 35" long, rather than the 26" side fabric palette that comes with it. They make the extra long fabric palette for the small storage center. I did this so when I swing the side palette over, I have a nice 60 x 35" cutting area.

I wish the cabinets were just a tad taller for my cutting, but I really like sitting at the 29 1/2" height the cabinets come in and I didn't want to spend another $300 raising all the cabinets. Plus, the next height up was 32 1/4" and that's just too high for me. Heck, as it is, I lay out a cardboard cutting mat on our bed to cut fabric. LOL!

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 3:47 PM

Congrats! What a stellar deal and purchase. You will be soooo excited when it arrives. We would love to see it all!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

MegquiltsinVT

MegquiltsinVT
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 6/3/09
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 5:12 PM

Congratulations! I love my dualmate; it works well for me. Have fun!

------
Pfaff QE4.0, 1222E, 796
Janome 1000cpx, 1110 dcx
Singer Featherweight, grandmother's treadle
New Home treadle

Rainer
Rainer
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 10/5/10
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 5:55 PM

Wow .. I didn't even know this existed ..they are so
nice and it's fantastic that they close up to a much smaller foot print.

I would love to own one of these but I don't have that kind of budget.

Is there another brand that does the same where it opens and closes like these Koala desks but cheaper ?

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to Rainer <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/26/12 6:09 PM

Look at Horn, Sanders, and Kangaroo. They all fold up. IMHO Koala is best made, then Horn.

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

Rainer
Rainer
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 10/5/10
Send Message

In reply to Artsewer <<

Date: 11/26/12 6:18 PM

Thanks..going to check these brands out now !

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Just ordered a Koala sewing room!!!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Buy Now
SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 155822-1003

photo
by: ssssdeb

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.