SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Does peppermint oil work? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Does peppermint oil work?
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 3:13 PM

We are trying to get rid of some very stubborn mice. As they refused to go near my traps ( 2) kinds and poison. And yes I set the traps with gloves on. I've read that they really hate peppermint oil. Anyone have any experience with this?

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 5:19 PM

I've never heard of the peppermint oil theory, so cannot say about that. Can you move the traps to where you see the mice frequent? Could it be the bait they aren't attracted to? I make my own bait by cooking a spoonful of oatmeal (make it on the dry side so it will be sticky when it cools) and mixing with natural peanut butter. Works every time.

I should add I have an excellent mouser - the population control from Mr. Cat probably has a great deal to do with my success.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/26/12 5:30 PM

I've not tried peppermint oil, but I'd bet they would go for some peanut butter. That's what I use in my traps; I buy the crunchy kind just so a peanut can get stuck in the trigger.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 5:51 PM

The main way to control mice is to figure out where they are getting in and seal up the hole(s). That and keeping all food sealed up as much as possible. We have occasional mouse appearances. I'm trying to remember the last time -- maybe last year sometime? They were leaving droppings all over the kitchen counter, really disgusting. We have a pest service that comes every other month, so I called them and they put some box traps in various spots (those cardboard things with poisoned bait inside), and that seemed to have worked. I hate to use that stuff, but I hate having mice in my kitchen even more.

Our cats are totally useless.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/26/12 8:43 PM

They don't like cats ya know. But miss Fairchild has her finger on the mouse pulse - they LOVE the peanut butter. I can validate that. On the other hand, they might actually come in to get it, and we used blobs of the stuff in little humane traps and then carted the mousies off and let them loose in the woods.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 8:58 PM

my daughter has wanted a cat ever since our dog died. After the holidays she may get her wish.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

MamaSewing
star
MamaSewing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/21/05
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/26/12 9:27 PM

They really don't like peppermint...I know b/c I put some under under my cabinets where we always had to set traps. Haven't seen a mouse there since!
BTW - I always used peanut butter in the traps - they always went for it.

Re Becca
starstarstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 11/26/12 9:36 PM

Hmmm, I just happen to have a mouse trap sitting under the counter now. Dh wouldn't use peanut butter because he loves it, but if I see the mouse again its goin' down.

I almost posted the strange query of how to keep cats out of the mouse trap, but I just couldn't type it with a straight face... We have 3 or 4 cats (depending on the day) apparently they didn't read their employment contract.

I may try the peppermint oil too, one of my coworkers uses it for upset stomachs and swears by it.

It never ceases to amaze me what strange questions get answered here on a SEWING FORUM

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/27/12 0:32 AM

Peanut butter. And position the trap or box pushed up next to the trim or wall in their path.

And if there is a mouse in the house, don't play the piano late at night with bare feet.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Saya
star
Saya
Advanced Beginner
NETHERLANDS
Member since 7/18/08
Send Message

Date: 11/27/12 2:29 AM

You make mice sound scary!

I had this cute little mouse on my balcony for two days a little while ago. It was tempting to leave some food for it, but decided that might not be a good idea. Though I don't think there is an easy way into the appartment, and even if there was it would be a brave mouse with my cat (proven mousecatcher) and my two ferrets who's smell is probably enough to keep the rodents out

Anyways, I don't know anything about peppermint oil (the mouse on my balcony did not seem to mind the mint plant), but I would try to find any possible entrance and close it. And get a cat that likes hunting. (any excuse to get a cat is good for me). I've heard of a horseriding place were they kept ferrets in the stables to keep the mouse out, but I wouldn't suggest that to random people No playing on the piano with bare feet with those either
-- Edited on 11/27/12 2:30 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Does peppermint oil work?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 1300

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Suzi Purse Insert

Suzi Purse Insert

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.