SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Thinking about getting an embroidery machine... ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thinking about getting an embroidery machine...
Any experience, recommendation appreciated!
Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 5:45 PM

I went to my friends' Thirty-one party.
It's basically like a pampered chef or amway? that my friend hosts a party, guests buy their product, which is a purse in Thirty-one, and the coordinator or hosts gets discount, etc.
The purses each were pretty expensive... Starting around $20 for a basic tote, but they charge $7 for an embroidery.
To help my friend out and also because it was just an easy-one step X'mas shopping, I ended up spending so much that it was probably enough to buy an embroidery machine already (well, the cheap ones).

So I'm thinking about getting an embroidery machine, but really know nothing about it.
It would be nice to add names to personalize gifts (so I don't have to spend $30 for a simple bag...) and that's pretty much all I can think about for now.

What do you use your embroidery machine for?
What machine do you recommend?
As I'm a beginner I was just thinking about getting a simple one for about $300. Do you think that's good enough?

Also is there a good online vendor?
I live in Hawaii so the machines in the store are very expensive that I'll probably get one online.
I got my Janome SM online and got a really good price with free shipping!
I have Janome SM and a serger. Is Janome embroidery machines good?
I see alot of Brother machines.

Any inputs appreciated!
-- Edited on 11/26/12 5:48 PM --
-- Edited on 11/26/12 5:50 PM --

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Mikgirl <<

Date: 11/26/12 6:06 PM

I have a Brother PE-150 (one of the earlier models) and use it for just about anything fancy. I've embroidered the edges of my sheets and pillowcases; monogrammed and embroidered names on handbags, pillows; and even used it to quilt. I bought it when I was very new to embroidery, (at Walmart) and haven't had the reason to upgrade. It stitches a 4"x4" area, which I can lengthen by using a longer hoop. I have an external drive for it to download my designs off the Internet (not a USB drive, but specifically for my machine), rather than buyiing the expensive Brother embroidery cards.

I really like it and sometimes wish the screen was easier to read. I don't believe my model is made anymore, but there is a Brother PE-500 out now for about $300. It has the same 4x4 stitching area.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 7:36 PM

Amazon has that machine for 269.97 and Ken's Sewing Center has it for 249.00. They are also Brother dealers. Very fast shipping. I have purchsed several machines and also notions from them. I still have my 12 year-old Simplicity SE2, also made by Brother, still works great, but I "splurged" 3 years ago for a Brother 700II with a larger field. They are easy to use and come with detailed manuals. To avoid buying the cards, I have an Amazing Designs Max box to transfer designs purchased online on my PC to blank cards. I have embroidered many tea towels for a consigment shop, done designs on fleece hats I make, decorated fleece baby blankets, done names on shirts, decorated and monogrammed towels for gifts, as well as sweatshirts and tees. I get most of my designs from Embroidery Library, but have also purchased from two other places with beautiful designs, Advanced and Anna Bove. It's so much fun working with colors!

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372 US Blindhem,
Singer 221K (off white) Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2 Brother 700II

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/26/12 11:05 PM

Right now, I'd go look at the Brother SE400 on Amazon....

I bought one of these this summer, and right now, they've lowered the price to $319.

Brother SE400 on Amazon

This machine did an *awesome* job of embroidery. And besides the embroidery, it comes with a load of feet and great sewing capabilities for the price. Quite a few decorative stitches, too.

It's super easy to get designs online and dump them into the SE400 via a USB cable from your computer. I downloaded some stuff from Urban Threads and the machine did a great job on them.

The shipping is free if you already have Amazon Prime... and if you don't have it, you can get a free 30 day trial of it.

The up side to getting the machine from Amazon is that you have 30 days to try it out and see if you like it... they have a great return policy - you won't even pay return shipping.

It's a sweet machine... check it out.

EDIT: The price dropped on that machine again! Check it out.
-- Edited on 12/6/12 8:57 PM --

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 11/27/12 6:33 AM

I got a Janome 350e to start with. It was so easy to learn on and did everything I needed to add names and monograms. You might find a good used one. I enjoyed embroidery so much that I gave the Janome to my daughter and upgraded to a larger hoop size on a Babylock combo.
So if you begin with a machine that does 5x7 you will be able to do what you want to do and see if you like it.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
SC USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to Mikgirl <<

Date: 11/27/12 9:12 AM

I'm learning so much about embroidery machines from the sewists here on PR. I just took the plunge with the Brother PE 770 on Amazon. I wanted to make sure I had the 5 x 7 hoop and a USB port option. Right now I am really only interested in monogramming and putting my own little emblem on polo shirts or clothes I make.

I will be watching this thread for more info!

------
Carpe diem!

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 11/27/12 9:55 AM

For monogramming I use the Personalize It! program from Amazing Designs. Jillions of lettering styles and options. You can also combine designs or designs and lettering in different styles and shapes,even curved to designs. Lower priced than other softwear I looked at. Only minor problem I have ever had with it is sometimes if I shut down my PC it doesn't reload and I have to restart. Customer service is great.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 11/27/12 9:58 AM

I would like to add that the blogs and discussions on the "Ann The Gran" website can give you lots of help with machine embroidery.

------
MartiP

Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/27/12 10:03 AM

Thank you everyone for your input!
SE400 sounded great but I don't need a sewing machine, so I went with PE-500 from Amazon.
$269.99 with free shipping (to Hawaii! That's a good deal).
I thought 4x4 was a little small but there seem to be alot of 4x4 designs so I thought it's a good start.
I'll most likely put designs on my kids clothes so it'll be small anyways.

I love all the resources on embroidery!
As I mentioned I have zero clue on embroidery so they're so much help.
Keep'em coming! :D

Kansas Native
Kansas Native
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 11/27/12
Send Message

Date: 11/27/12 11:01 AM

I just joined, but love all the insight. Great info. I have a Bernina Sport and wondering if anyone knows where I could an extension table for it? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Thinking about getting an embroidery machine...

Merchants on PR

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Other Tessuti Lily Linen Dress

photo
by: ajhewing

Review
Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Jeans for Real People DVD Set

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.