SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Want Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Want Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Juki hzl-F600 looks great - but don't quilt
Sewcial Dancer
Sewcial Dancer  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 5:55 PM

I have a simple Singer 9020 that I bought 18 years ago, when I first started sewing again since 9th grade, even though I have had my grandmother's beautiful 403A for 20 years, which is housed in a beautiful end table - I have never used it for sewing!! It's got 8-10 feet, some of which are very intimidating! It scared me off as a sewer who grew up on a Featherweight (no fancy stitches), which disappeared (I must find another one to replace it). The 403A has served as a lovely end table in my living room. Today I rearranged the living room and opened up so the pretty machine can be displayed and also I will have more access to it and actually use it!

2 years ago I got a Juki Serger MO644D to sew spandex outfits for ballroom/latin dancing. I am enjoying using it! Now I want to explore more fancy stitches but want more than the 403A (why I got the 9020, I don't know - the 403A does all the same things, except maybe a buttonhole). Anyway, I don't want to do quilting, but the Juki f600 seems to be great according to the Juki Love threads. My dealer tried to offer me the f400, but I see the reviews aren't that great on PR. I'd rather spend another $100 to get a more reliable machine.

However, I would like to do a little embroidery too, not just the fancy stitch choices. But the f600 is in my budget. I am not in the market to spend thousands for an embroidery machine. What other options do I have?

------
Singer 221, 403A, 9020 10 stitch
Brother 1250D
Juki MO-644D

Seams2Sew
star
Seams2Sew
USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

In reply to Sewcial Dancer <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/28/12 6:01 PM

Have you looked at Brother's embroidery only machines? Janome, Bernina and Baby Lock also have embroidery only machines, but the Brother 770 is the most reasonably priced. Shop around and see what you like.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 6:31 PM

OMG... you could have so much fun with an embroidery machine!

Earlier this year, I wasn't sure how much I would even like doing embroidery, so I just went to Amazon and got this one:

Brother SE400 on sale!

And wow... that price has dropped since I bought one!

Anyway... this particular machine is really sweet in that it has a good load of decorative stitches as well as it's a starting ground to see how you like embroidery. It is limited to a 4x4 inch design size for the embroidery. And it doesn't use a USB thumb drive - instead, you use a USB cable to your computer to dump designs into it... but it's easy.

Overall, it's a great all-around machine that will give you both sewing and embroidery functions.

I just took a picture earlier today of some embroidery I did on that machine... I'll have to slap it up on my blog so you can see how nice it stitched out!

Do you think you want an embroidery only machine? Or are you trying for a combo machine?

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 7:40 PM

The Juki F600 is not an embroidery machine.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 8:19 PM

I just added a pic of one piece of embroidery I did on the SE400... it's on my blog (that's in my sig line here).

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

Sewcial Dancer
Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

Date: 11/28/12 8:50 PM

Seams2Sew, I definitely don't want an embroidery only machine, since I want 1-step buttonholes and a variety of buttonhole options, for one. My dealer obviously doesn't sell Brother - I think only Singer and Juki - so she was pushing the Juki computerized SM since she knew I have a Juki serger. So Soolip, she obviously wasn't listening to me when I showed interest in "a computerized sewing and embroidery machine". She said the only ones available cost thousands of $$$. Clearly, she isn't on PR!! RipStitcher, thanks so much for posting the information on the Brother. Amazon has a great price! I won't even have to justify this one with DH!! Do you know of any comparable machines? I saw that only the 350 was on the Sewing Machine Reviews. Did the 400 just come out?

------
Brother 1250D
Juki MO-644D

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/28/12 9:40 PM

Hi again.

When I was trying to find a machine this summer so I could try out embroidery... I kind of had a budget of $500 in my head.

Given what I was trying to do (knowing that if I liked the sport, I'd want to have bigger hoops and all)... this little SE400 was perfect.

I probably did about 6-7 designs on it before I got my EG. That little thing would be running in the corner of my dining room when some of my clients came to visit.. and they just got mesmerized by it - chuggin' away and making beautiful stitches.

The needle threader on it is amazing... it's the same one that is on my EG. I teased about that machine being a $350 needle threader that was attached to a free machine.

I put up a few more pics on my blog today.... so did you see the stitch chart over there?

One more thing... if you buy from Amazon, and if you want to return it for any reason within 30 days, their return policy can't be beat. They pay return shipping. No confrontation (like there would be if you bought in a store)... it's a pretty nice way to buy an item like this, IMO.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

mollycoomer
star
mollycoomer  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 8/26/10
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/29/12 2:48 AM

Hi: I'm not sure if this would fulfill all your needs, but it is within your budget. For my daughter's wedding shower I purchased a Babylock Espire (older version). It's a wonderful machine, but she has admitted that she just doesn't have time or interest for sewing right now. It has decorative stitches, sews beautifully as well as quilting capability. I was planning on holding on to it in case she changes her mind in a few years, because it's such a wonderful machine but have decided if someone can use it, I should sell it and get her another machine when she's ready. If you're interested just let me know.

fcsltd
fcsltd
USA
Member since 6/13/12
Send Message

In reply to Sewcial Dancer <<

Date: 11/29/12 7:28 AM

I bought a used Viking Platinum Plus and I am very pleased, it is wonderful for both sewing and embroidery. It was local and I made sure to get a full demo of all the machine's capabilities before I bought it (I paid 500.00 but I am sure you could probably find one cheaper or same price for an older Diamond). You might want to consider a used Viking or the Babylock mentioned above.

Sewcial Dancer
Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

Date: 11/29/12 11:57 AM

Wow, the Babylock EG is gorgeous!! The embroidery capabilities are no comparison to the Brother SE 400 - I really don't want either extreme - what are some good choices that are in between?

------
Brother 1250D
Juki MO-644D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Want Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Lekala Patterns 4042

photo
by: trumbelina

Review
Vogue Patterns 8817

photo
by: kkkkaty

Review
ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.