SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Brother PE-500 Embroidery Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother PE-500 Embroidery Machine
anyone have an opinion about this one?
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 11/29/12 7:26 AM

I am curious about embroidery, but not sure how often I would use it. PE-500 is currently under $300. I am seriously thinking this is my xmas gift to me. At this price, it seems I can't go wrong. I see good reviews about other Brother embroidery/sewing machines but nothing about this one. I have Babylock sewing machines so don't need the sewing feature. Embroidery only is fine with me. Should I pull the trigger?

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 11/29/12 8:03 AM

I'd say Go for it. For the price, it can't be beat. That's less than what I paid for my PE-150 many years ago and I like mine. I have a friend who has one, based on my recommendation for her to buy it. The 500 has more fonts and patterns than mine, and that threading is pretty slick. The upgrade feature is pretty cool too. It looks like it uses cards from their PED-Basic box, which I have. If something went wrong with mine, this is the one I'd buy. Get yourself a large hoop and a small one, and you'll be good to go. Here's a video to entice you more: click here
-- Edited on 11/29/12 8:04 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 11/29/12 11:04 AM

The PE 770 has a larger embroidery area and USB connectivity via removable flash drive (stick).

With the PE 500 you will need to have your computer next to the embroidery machine to transfer downloads via USB cable, or use rewritable memory cards via PED Basic and that is another $91.

PE500 = $270 + 91. = $361 and 4 x 4 embroidery area.
PE700 = $537 and 5 x 7 embroidery area.

Extra investment = $176/267 depending on the need for PED Basic.

I started with the 4 x 4 embroidery area and reader/writer/memory card (PED Basic was not available at the time, but same configuration). It was okay for a while, then became a drawback when I wanted to stitch out larger designs. This required the purchase of additional software to split the designs and then having to re-hoop for the additional stitch outs.

Should you decide to later sell your embroidery machine, the USB stick and larger embroidery area will be a plus in your favor.

-- Edited on 11/29/12 11:07 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 11/29/12 12:23 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I know this is not top of the line, but I think it will be good enough for me. I really cannot imagine that I will use it a lot because I don't do much home dec sewing. Just want one.

Barbara Allino
Barbara Allino  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/4/02
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 11/29/12 12:50 PM

I have this machine. It's cute, easy to use and embroiders great. I think it's a fun machine .

Dawnabbey
star
Dawnabbey  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 12/18/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/29/12 1:09 PM

I would go for it. I have the 770PE which is also a stand alone embroidery machine that I bought from Amazon. the important feature is the USB port. Without the machines are harder to use these days as cards go the way of the dinosaur. This way you can download designs very cheaply (as little as .25$ on sale) from embroiderylibrary.com for your machine, thus always keeping it current. Happy Shopping and Merry Christmas to you!

------
Stitching, sharing every day, makes life sweet in every way, just add a friend and a family and the days drift by so merrily!

enjoyssewing
enjoyssewing  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 9/8/06
Send Message

Date: 11/29/12 2:28 PM

At of this moment Amazon has a special offer on the 770PE which reduces the $537 price to $507.

From the website: "Save $30.00 when you purchase 1 or more Qualifying Items offered by Amazon.com. "

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 11/29/12 10:10 PM

I just sold my Brother Innovis 900D (which is identical to the PE500) for $250.00 used. It is a great little machine with a lot of features. When you download embroidery designs you have to make sure they are in a certain format. Most designs come in several formats. For occasional embroidery this works just fine. I would go for it.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/30/12 2:53 PM

Thanks to all my Enabler pals. I ordered it and it will be here Monday

margaretdaniero
margaretdaniero
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 2/27/12
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 2/26/13 4:24 PM

I have also thinking about taking the plunge with the PE500. I've been watching a lot of tutorials about this.

Do you think I would be able to download designs from Urbanthreads.com using my laptop? They offer some really awesome designs, and even a few freebies from time to time!

It mentions the 4X4 hoop. Can you simply purchase a larger hoop, or will this particular machine not be able to accomodate one?

------
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Brother PE-500 Embroidery Machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Other 926 Rocking Horse Farms

photo
by: SewNikki

Review
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.