SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Quilt Shop Visit ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Quilt Shop Visit
Those of you near Morgantown, WV
Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 11/30/12 8:34 AM

I traveled to Morgantown, WV yesterday to visit my elderly aunt. I got there early so I used my iPhone app Quilt Shops to see if there was a quilt shop nearby. Sure enough there was! The Sew Inn is a lovely quilt shop on High Street and it has a great variety of fabrics; some I had not seen elsewhere. Since I am making quilted table runners as Christmas gifts this year, I bought a piece of Robert KaufmanInside Japan and a piece of Stonehenge Ginko which coordinates with it. I love to visit shops when I travel - do you make a point to do so also?

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/30/12 10:31 PM

Yes. It is bad enough that when I say, "Oh, look, a quilt shop" they all groan.

I am embarrassed to tell you how far out of the way we have sometimes gone...

------
Barb

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 11/30/12 11:38 PM

Well at least my hubby doesn't balk when I say there is a fabric store nearby wherever we are going; he just follows my directions. He is so patient......

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 9:18 AM

Since I am a hermit and rarely leave my house, I don't have the opportunity

Turns out there IS a quilt shop not too far from me, but I have not been to it yet. I sent hubby, twice. He picked up thread for me once and then I sent him back for needles.

It's MUCH safer for our bank account this way! I can't resist the temptation if I see fabric!

I will have to go soon, it's making me crazy, but I need to leave my debit card at home

------
Cathryn

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<

Date: 12/1/12 3:03 PM

I do really have to limit myself to fabric for only one project when I go to a quilt shop. It is so much fun to buy at shops out of town however. Generally I do not have a fabric stash hanging around since I limit myself to purchases only for projects I am actively working on.

------

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 12/1/12 3:21 PM

Quote: Julkane
I do really have to limit myself to fabric for only one project when I go to a quilt shop. It is so much fun to buy at shops out of town however. Generally I do not have a fabric stash hanging around since I limit myself to purchases only for projects I am actively working on.

I don't have much of a stash of quilting fabric, which is one of the reasons why I am MIGHTY tempted when I see lots of it!

So far I mainly buy only for a specific project, but do buy stuff when it's on sale, especially things like neutrals, solids, for sashings and borders. I like it when I have things like that on hand, so I can concentrate on the pretty prints when I have a project in mind.

Now that I am making Project Linus quilts and blankets, I buy fabric for those when there is a sale too.

------
Cathryn

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 3:32 PM

My husband is slowly getting used to the idea of me wanting to find a shop when we travel. I already have checked before we left, so I know the name, and address of the store and the location. Some I even email just to be sure they are open when I want to visit. DH patiently sits in the car, watching Netflex on his phone.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 12/1/12 3:36 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
DH patiently sits in the car, watching Netflex on his phone.

Oh the joys of being hubby to a quilter!

My hubby stands in line at the cutting table and gets my fabric cut for me. Means I have more time to shop.

I knew he was a keeper!

------
Cathryn

Franksdottir

Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 12/1/12 8:31 PM

Quote: Julkane
Well at least my hubby doesn't balk when I say there is a fabric store nearby wherever we are going; he just follows my directions. He is so patient......

Yah, the husband is not the problem. It is the rest of them.

------
Barb

Franksdottir

Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/1/12 8:38 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
My husband is slowly getting used to the idea of me wanting to find a shop when we travel. I already have checked before we left, so I know the name, and address of the store and the location. Some I even email just to be sure they are open when I want to visit. DH patiently sits in the car, watching Netflex on his phone.

You have troubles with your upper back and neck. His job is carry the bolts of fabric for you! This is why my kids always complained - they knew that I was the brains and they were the brawn and they were going to be carrying the bolts for me.

DD at least was somewhat interested in the fabric, because she knew that if she saw something she loved I might be persuaded to make her something out of it. (Like some cute jelly bean fabric which made a nice summer skirt.) DS was REALLY NOT interested, and still isn't, although I just made him a pillowcase out of some truly horrid skull fabric and he was very pleased. Not pleased enough to go to the fabric store, however. I keep hoping that he marries a quilter,

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Quilt Shop Visit

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 1285

photo
by: cabinbaby

Review
Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Buy Now
The Whimsy Bag

The Whimsy Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.