SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > ipad and hughes net ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
ipad and hughes net
need advice
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 7:33 AM

One of the daughters is wanting me to get an ipad to be able to see and talk with the grands as their other long distance grandparents do. We have hughes satellite internet so don't know if this would work for me. I had thought about getting a kindle for reading but she says I can do all that on the ipad. I don't mind buying one but want to be sure on standard hughes service I can "talk" to the grands. Satellite internet is different than dsl or cable not being able to watch movies or use phone type services. I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has one and the rural satellite internet or just anybody who wants to chime in as I am very lost on the subject. If I can use the ipad like this do you download some program or suscribe. Help please. I see on here some topics occasionally on ipads and pattern cataloging. Convince me I need one and can see my grands if you are on satellite internet. Lol!

Nursebennett
Nursebennett
Advanced Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 1/7/10
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 12/1/12 9:56 AM

I'm NO techie, but I don't see why it would be a problem. As long as you have a network you simply connect your iPad to your home network and then you can Facetime. You can Facetime through any WiFi connection. I love my iPad! I prefer the Kindle reading app on my iPad to my actual Kindle device. I'm sure someone will come along with much more help than I can give.

The only thing that I don't understand is you said you can't watch movies, etc. Does this mean your data usage is limited? That could be a problem, I suppose. I once had HughesNet and had no data limit, but that's been some years ago. Good luck to you!

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/1/12 9:59 AM

try using the bandwidth tester at speedtest. Report the results here. I think the most important datapoint will be ping, as that determines how much lag is in your connection, but upload and download also come into play. Speeds may vary based on time of day, so video conferencing during peak hours may be impossible.

I read book on my kindle for app. Now it's not quite as nice as a e-ink kindle for certain things (eyestrain)but I have both, and my place in the book is kept in sync on both devices.

On my ipad, I use sepia as my background colour scheme
-- Edited on 12/1/12 10:00 AM --
-- Edited on 12/1/12 10:08 AM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 3:17 PM

Why don't you try skype on your regular computer and see how that goes? If it works than you can also use it in the ipad if you have problems with facetime.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 7:25 PM

It probably won't work very well. We had Hughesnet (Direcway back then) for many years on our RV so that we had internet service anywhere we went. There's 2 problems with VOIP via satellite, the lag, which makes it difficult to talk, and the bandwidth usage, which if you're not careful, you may use up your allotted amount within a 24 hour time period and you'll get fapped (fair access policy) down to a dial up crawl.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 12/1/12 8:22 PM

I was afraid it would be like this with hughes as satellite internet is very different from dsl. I never knew I had a data limit until last year the house was full of company with several laptops going. I learned all about faps (fair access) and restore tokens that week as sil was watching movies and probably daughter as well.
Andye I tried to do the bandwidth test and it wasn't working. Maybe I need to register there to use it. I am really glad I am taking the time to investigate this as the face time with other ipads would be why I would get one for myself. One person suggested a sim card AT&T planto use on the ipad for the face time conversations. I know that I can use the ipad here to surf the web but have had several now telling me the hughes is too slow. They have a new 4 G or something but I have not checked on the cost or whether it would work. Rural living and internet-not a good thing.

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 9:42 PM

Hey....

Just a thought (and you probably already looked into this) ... are you so far out in the boonies that you can't get decent cellular service?

Since 2003, and right up until last week, my main internet has been done on cellular networks.

Also... the ipad can come with it's own internet connectivity (3g) so it won't have to bleed your Hughes service.

I got rid of my cellular, and went with an iPad Mini just a week ago - so I still could do what you're trying to do when I'm out and about.

Just a thought.

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 12/17/12 6:12 AM

I thought about checking into something like that . Are you saying you are using the mini as a cell phone? If so that might be an option for me. If you don't mind me asking, what monthly cost is it to do that and what carrier. That might be an option here as there is a cell phone tower not far away. I am a complete techie zero. I really am thinking I should get the ipad and figure out a way to "see" my far off grands and daughter on face time even if I have to go to a McDonald's or the library to do it. Thanks for the input. I have put this on the backburner until after Christmas so I can read up on the ipad models but am definitely going to do this.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 12/17/12 6:32 AM

You can't use the iPad (min or regular) as a phone (unless you consider Skype), but you can buy either with the cellular option, either AT&T or Verizon. I have Verizon on mine. The new ones are 4G enabled, if you have 4G in your area. The nice thing about the iPads is that you don't have to have a contract with the service provider, you can purchase a month of data use at a time ($50). My intent is to only use that when I'm in the RV with hubby, otherwise I just access via our our wireless network (DSL).

Satellite isn't too slow, in face the new service is supposedly 12mbps, which is faster than my DSL at 10mbps. It would be just find for web surfing and email, it's the latency that will be a problem with facetime. There will be about a 6 second delay in speech, which it makes it difficult to hold a conversation. And again, you have to be careful of the FAP restriction.

If you purchase your iPad with the cellular option, you'll have choices.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to CJ Tinkle <<

Date: 12/17/12 11:04 AM

This is very helpful as I am really a zero on this. I have purchased 4 grandsons ipads yet haven't gotten one for me. I personally use a trac phone with a bunch of minutes bought on special when I am on the road as I am not a yakker. Dh and I share one that has unlimited nationwide which works for us and I pay for the same still for adult daughter before she got married that when she has to get a new phone plan I will let her get her own plan. It would be great when not at home to have the internet. I really see I have a lot to figure out. Tech is leaving me hopelessly behind really fast. Thanks for the help with this. I will ask at Hughes and Verizon what is available in my area.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> ipad and hughes net

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

More Info
Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.