SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Embroidering causes puckering ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Embroidering causes puckering
help
col47
col47
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/2/12 0:37 AM

I am embroidering a table chloth and i notice some puckering. I used a 10x6 hoop and cutaway stab. I got this really pretty christmas cloth with cotton and metallic green, red threads running thur it. I used a large santa for the part that hangs over the edge, but when finishing embroidering it some pucker was around it.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<

Date: 12/2/12 3:54 AM

Could you post a picture? It's possible that your design is simply too dense for the cloth, if you're already using a cutaway.

Is that hoop size the smallest you can use for the design?

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 12/2/12 6:53 AM

Are you hooping the design? If you are sticking down (hoopless method) try floating a thin piece of tearaway and machine basting and see if that helps. If you are hooping try not pulling the fabric as tight in the hoop. With some designs it will but some will just pull and it is very annoying and I think unsightly.

col47
col47
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/2/12 8:16 AM

I am using the 9.5 inch santa from Anita Designs using my 10 inch hoop. To get rid of the pucker, I used fusesble batting one side and placed the glued side against the underside of the embroided area and ironed it. Came out very good. Took a big chance though. I would cry if it did not worked. I thought if I used cutaway instead of tearaway, it would have held it better. Maybe using a topper would be better?..........

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

In reply to col47 <<

Date: 12/2/12 11:17 AM

A topper doesn't effect puckers, it's purpose is to prevent stitches from sinking into cloth like towels, or working on difficult fabrics like velvet.

If you had to resort to fusible batting to get it smooth, my guess is that the design is too dense for your fabric, but you found a solution and that's what counts!

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/2/12 1:16 PM

Flipping the finished project onto a thick towel and then pressing from the back with a steam iron can help remove wrinkles.

What cause the puckers could be the density of the design, the weave of the fabric, the needle type/condition or the quality of the stabilizer.

I do a sample using the same components as the project and make adjustments if and when necessary.

This may take a little time, a bit more thread, fabric and stabilizer but is it worth it to insure success.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Nokiaj59
Nokiaj59  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/2/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/3/12 6:18 AM

You should be using one layer of stabilizer for every 10,000 stitches. If your design is 30,000 stitches - you need three layers of stabilizer. You don't have to hoop all layers. Hoop one or two layers then slide others layers underneath your hoop before you begin. Once the embroidery has begun - the unhooked stabilizer should be sewn down securely. Mi hope this helps.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Nokiaj59 <<

Date: 12/3/12 8:13 AM

I never heard this tip about layers of stabilizers - thanks - will try to remember this.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/3/12 1:46 PM

An alternative is to use a ultra heavy cutaway stablizer, they come in various weights.

------

col47
col47
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 3:32 AM

the christmas cloth used I admit was thin. It was almost like satin. The red, green stripes altogther has a slight scottish pattern. It was perfect for the dinning table. I did use a heavy cutaway for the santa, but did not know the design was almost like a relief. At 300 spm, it took 120 minutes. There was a lot of metallic thread in the design. Like I said above the fuseable batting saved my butt. The puckering was bad, but now it looks good. I finished it with the face on the forest green cloth, sewed together, then turned inside out, then sewed up the opening. A fast ironering. Santa never looked so good. Next time I need to see how many stitches the embroidery figure is going to need.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Embroidering causes puckering

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 4076

photo
by: KateS

Review
Newport Tote

Newport Tote

Buy Now
Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Sew Chic Pendleton Dress Pattern (ln8002)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.