SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Computers AARGH!!! > Windows 8 Clueless on operating it ( Moderated by Pyrose, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Windows 8 Clueless on operating it
Computers
woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

Date: 12/2/12 8:47 AM

Any users of Windows 8?

Need some help figuring out the following:

When I open an attachment in my email, or click on a website listed in my email, I have no clue on how to return to my opened email. I use Windows 7 at work and there is a tab at the top so I can click on it to return to my opened email. I use Mac at home and use a back arrow to return to original email page.

What I have been doing is placing my cursor at top of attachment or website till the arrow turns into a hand then bringing attachment down to bottom of the screen to close it - this action returns me to the start page so I click on the Internet app to go back to my email. Sometimes the email is still opened other times its not.

There has to be a better way to go back to my opened email then what I am doing.

I bought my first laptop ever - so the learning curve is a bit for me right now. I am a senior citizen so sure hope my brain can handle this learning curve.

Watched YouTube videos on Windows 8 but did not see this issue on any of the videos I watched.

I don't use a smart phone or any of the new app phones on the market so I am a bit lost.

Sure hope I made the right decision purchasing Windows 8!

I know basics about Windows 7 - my work day is spent navigating a database designed specifically for distributing my company's products.

Thanks for your help and answer.

Woggy
-- Edited on 12/2/12 8:48 AM --

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to woggy <<

Date: 12/2/12 9:59 AM

DH has been running Windows 8 for about 6 months now. I will ask him when I get home from work. Although he has a multiple monitor set up, so that may make a difference. Also he is using Outlook for his email, not a web based email client.

Have you just tried to hit the escape button on your keyboard?

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/2/12 11:15 AM

I have the windows surface tablet. Not sure how similar it is to the desktop version, but I found two ways to switch between screens.

try pressing Alt and Tab together on the keyboard ( if you press down the alt key and then press tab you can cycle through active programs), or if you have the touch screen monitor, slide your finger tip from the left side of the screen to the center of the screen.

woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

In reply to quathy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/2/12 3:05 PM

Thanks quathy,

My screen is not touch screen but I did find out I need to put my cursor in the upper right corner for the picture of my email to appear. Once it appears, I click on it. The picture represents the former back arrow on Windows 7.

Will try the alt tab key together and see how that works.

Guess this technology is the wave of the future! It is going to take me a bit longer to learn how to use this computer than what I thought.

Woggy

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to woggy <<

Date: 12/2/12 11:52 PM

Probably in the next year we will be needing a new desktop so it will be Windows 8. From what I've heard about it, I'm not too excited about it, but hubby is the main user of the desktop computer, so he will have to deal with it.

I wish you luck with it.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/3/12 7:13 AM

Here is my take on Windows 8 - Microsoft has been copying Apple for years. Apple put icons loaded on a "docking station" on its desktops years ago for users to access the applications/software/files on their computers.

Windows 8 copied this idea, but put the icons in the middle of the desktop and calls them "apps."

If you have a Iphone or smart phone, then you probably won't have too much difficulty adjusting to Windows 8. My phone is about 8 years old - and is only used for emergencies. Windows 8 is my introduction to the "apps" world.

Woggy

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to woggy <<

Date: 12/3/12 9:18 AM

You are not alone. We got new laptop,& I' m not enjoying it. Husband works in
IT, deals w/ technology every day & also unable to access features. I'm looking for a library course to help me.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/3/12 10:19 AM

My local Staples store offers free classes and help for the Windows 8. Last I checked, you didn't have to buy from them. Might be an easy way to figure it out.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

In reply to NancyZL <<

Date: 12/3/12 11:48 AM

NancyZL,

I spoke to a techie at Staples to get my answer - he is working on his master's in info technology. I asked him for a Windows 8 book but he said there aren't any "good" ones on the market yet. He said You Tube is the best place to learn this system.

I found a 12 minute Lesson 1 for Windows 8 on You Tube and did learn a number of things.

I do get free lessons at Staples and plan on going with a list of questions to figure this system out!

Woggy

woggy
woggy  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 8/15/04
Send Message

In reply to NancyZL <<

Date: 12/6/12 9:38 AM

Hi NancyZL,

Well, I hate Windows 8. I wish I had known about the You Tube videos from techies and other folks describing the reasons why not to buy Windows 8. I would have gone to Best Buy on Black Friday. This company was still selling laptops with Windows 7. I bought mine at Staples on Black Friday because this store is so much closer to my home.

It takes more clicks to get to where you need to go and many times you cannot get back to your previous screen - I was told to put my cursor in the upper right corner to view the prior "page" which of course does not appear.

I am seriously thinking of buying Windows 7 home version to load to this computer - what a waste of money - Staples had this computer on sale and I like the computer - I just hate Windows 8.

Husband and I are discussing what to do - I waited a number of years to buy my first laptop ever and we are on a budget. So, so disappointed with MicroSoft!

Woggy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Computers AARGH!!! >> Windows 8 Clueless on operating it

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Vogue Patterns 8409

photo
by: mkruszewsk...

Review
SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern

SewBaby  Poncho Pizazz Pattern

Buy Now
Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.