SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Singer XL550 ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer XL550
Need help deciding
anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 12/3/12 9:37 AM

What do you guys think about this machine? I wanted to try embroidery but I don't want to spend so much $$ as a start..

Any input will be appreciated. TIA

ANNE

------
Live what you preach

quiltnmom
quiltnmom  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/16/10
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 9:08 PM

I was sneeky this weekend. HSN had the Singer XL550 on sale with 5 flex payments, so I bought it. DH never said I couldn't but I know I shouldn't have with Christmas and we just had a new refrigerator delivered Saturday and had to buy a new vacuum cleaner. I don't get much time to sew since I've been going to school and working full time too... But I couldn't pass up the deal!! I should arrive tomorrow. Not sure how I'll explain that big box on the doorstep. I'll let you know what I think of the machine.

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/12 3:20 AM

Great. Thanks!!!

------
Live what you preach

quirkygal

quirkygal
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 3:42 PM

I'm curious to hear how the machine works - I recently purchased the SEQS-6700 (essentially the 550 with extra feet and software) and it's been a nightmare. It's going back on Friday when UPS picks it up. I'll write a full review later but I hope your experience is much better than mine

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

In reply to quirkygal <<

Date: 12/5/12 4:37 PM

Quote: quirkygal
I'm curious to hear how the machine works - I recently purchased the SEQS-6700 (essentially the 550 with extra feet and software) and it's been a nightmare. It's going back on Friday when UPS picks it up. I'll write a full review later but I hope your experience is much better than mine

What issues were you having?

------
Live what you preach

quirkygal

quirkygal
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

In reply to anne123184 <<

Date: 12/5/12 10:15 PM

Tension issues - had to constantly and consistently decrease the tension on embroidery and regular sewing stitches. If I made a sample that turned out OKish - not perfect but OK - and tried to immediately duplicate the design using the same material, stabilizer, needle, thread, etc the tension would need to be readjusted.

The software believes that it has been disconnected from the machine when trying to embroider. As a result, if you send over blocks instead of the entire design and loose the connection you have to start all over (in theory you shouldn't have to but I wasn't able to get it to start from the next block). Also, the software update requires you to uninstall *all* futura software, reinstall, and then download the update. This was supposed to correct hoop, connection, and some tension errors. That didn't happen on my update.

The machine reports that the wrong size hoop is attached to the machine and will refuse to sew.

The bird nesting - I had enough nesting for three flocks of birds.

At first my needles were breaking every 30-40 stitches while sewing a straight stitch. I discovered the needle bar was too low and had to unscrew it and adjust it. (Easy enough but that really should have been done or checked before shipping).

Embroidery at more than half speed would cause the bobbin to jam, the needle to break, or both. This happened with Singer Embroidery needles, Schmetz needles, Organ needles, poly rayon thread, regular Guterman thread, bobbin fill, regular thread in the bobbin, and so on.

It's loud when sewing and really loud when embroidering.

Some of the hoops are bad - Singer is going to send out replacements. If you can't easily slide the hoop on the machine than call them right away and don't force it on (You can damage the embroidery arm). My hoops seems to be OK but there a lot of folks in the future groups who are reporting otherwise.

I have to say that I was truly disappointed with this this machine. I tried for three weeks to get it to work and only ended up frustrated. I've been sewing since I was 13 or 14 and used to work in a sewing machine dealership in sales and instruction. I have some knowledge of basic machine repair/maintenance and I'm a bit of a computer geek. Machine embroidery sounded like a perfect match and maybe with another machine it would have been.

I ordered a Brother PE 770 from Amzn - let's hope that goes better.

quirkygal

quirkygal
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 10:17 PM

Hopefully I got a lemon and yours will sew like a dream.

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/6/12 0:52 AM

My machine xl550 came in. This thing is huge! It sews beautiful! I used a poly gutterman thread on a calico and the tension was spot on. I then tried to install the embroidery/software. The hyper font software did not appear so I reinstalled and it magically appeared. Annoyingly I have to turn on the machine in able to use the program. I tried to embroider without changing threads or needle and it did work without issues. I used the small hoop w tear away stabilizer on a muslin. Tomorrow ill do more testing. So far the machine is doing its job.

Anne

------
Live what you preach

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to anne123184 <<

Date: 12/6/12 11:56 AM

There is a big difference between sewing and embroidery needles.

Make sure to use the machine embroidery needles when doing embroidery.

Also, use machine embroidery thread as well as machine embroidery bobbin thread - there is a reason for this as well.

You may not see the difference in your testing, but if the right products are not used it can cause a muck-up when you want perfection.

-- Edited on 2/14/13 12:55 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 12/6/12 2:11 PM

Quote: PattiAnnJ
There is a big difference between sewing and embroidery needles.

Make sure to use the machine embroidery needles with doing embroidery.

Also, use machine embroidery thread as well as machine embroidery bobbin thread - there is a reason for this as well.

You may not see the difference in your testing, but if the right products are not used it can cause a muck-up when you want perfection.

Yes. I accidentally did a test right away without changing due to excitement. Today I will change it and do a test drive again!

Anne

------
Live what you preach

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Singer XL550

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Butterick 5579

photo
by: Char in KS

Review
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

More Info
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.