SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > I Don't Get How to Do This Neckline/Yoke/Collar Thing ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I Don't Get How to Do This Neckline/Yoke/Collar Thing
Obviously, I don't even know what it's called.
AllNewtoMe
star
AllNewtoMe  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
VA USA
Member since 9/6/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/3/12 3:26 PM

I'm trying to knit the draped dress in the newest Burda. It has a sweetheart neckline and there is an extension piece near the neckline that wraps around the back. I made a muslin and struggled through the instructions but it looks...not good.

The main problem is I don't even know what I'm looking for (name of that neckline), and my internet searches haven't helped.

This is the pattern:
http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/draped-dress-plus-size-122012

And here is the line drawing.

Help, please?

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Subject: I Dont Get How to Do This Neckline/Yoke/Collar Thing Date: 12/3/12 4:50 PM

Nice dress! I don't know what that piece is called either but I'm assuming that you mean the upper bodice piece that goes around the neck to the zipper. What particular problem are you having with it? The sewing of it? The fit? What do the instructions say? Bursa is known for its sparse instructions so someone may be able to add something helpful.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

AllNewtoMe
star
AllNewtoMe  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
VA USA
Member since 9/6/10
Send Message

In reply to Patti B <<

Date: 12/3/12 5:11 PM

Here are the directions:

Quote:
Stitch interfaced front yoke pieces to fronts, from seam marks (seam number 1). Press seam allowances onto yokes. Stitch interfaced front yokes to back pieces, exactly from corner (shoulder seams)--seam allowances of back neck edge extend. Clip seam allowances diagonally into corners. Press seam allowances forward. Stitch collar to back neck edge, right sides facing. Press seam allowances onto collar.

I don't understand what it means to press a seam allowance forward, and even when I clip the corner, I get a weird fold over that looks ugly.
-- Edited on 12/3/12 5:12 PM --
DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

In reply to AllNewtoMe <<

Date: 12/3/12 6:32 PM

I may be wrong, but it sounds like after you sew the shoulder seams, you need to press them forward - and do this before you sew the back/collar. It also sounds like you need to watch out not to catch up the SA of the back neck edge when you sew the shoulder seams (that "to extend" instruction).

And you need to clip into a corner (not clip corner - which is usually an outside corner when it's clipped) to keep it from pulling.

But I've never made this pattern o anything like it, so I could be totally off!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to AllNewtoMe <<

Date: 12/3/12 6:56 PM

The yoke pieces, pattern pieces #3, have the collar attached to it. You are sewing from from the marked seam end, this is which is the shoulder in one direction and the collar in the other.
Then you are going to sew the front shoulder to the back shoulder until you get to the corner, mark # 2. You will clip into the corner, so that you can sew the back neck edge of the collar to the back neck edge of the bodice. Press this shoulder seam forward, in other words, onto the front bodice. Now you will stitch that curved extension, which is the back neck band more than a collar though they cal it a collar. You will sew from the exact point that you stopped on the shoulder seam to the center back.
Sometimes things that you are unfamiliar with are easier if you make a few samples until you understand how to do it. You can just cut the upper back and yoke on some muslin and sew it until it looks good.
-- Edited on 12/3/12 6:57 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

AllNewtoMe
star
AllNewtoMe  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
VA USA
Member since 9/6/10
Send Message

Date: 12/3/12 8:58 PM

Thank you for your help.

I think it would help if I chalked the actual sewing lines on the pieces, so I know exactly where to stop and start. I will try that.

I think I get it...a little. :D

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Subject: I Dont Get How to Do This Neckline/Yoke/Collar Thing Date: 12/4/12 8:32 AM

Making samples will definitely help because this type of seaming can be puzzling. Good luck!

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
DC USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 9:40 AM

For this, it might be worth buying a sale pattern that has this neckline and using Big 4 directions, which will have diagrams, staystitching instructions, and such.

Joann has Simplicity and Burda on sale this weekend. It looks like Simplicity 2283 has that front-extending-into-back-collar.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

Immelu
star
Immelu  Friend of PR
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 5/6/06
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 10:23 PM

I must be a real dork, because I get a kick out of puzzling through Burda instructions. It's like solving crossword puzzles. Can someone list the magazine number? I'd like to look this pattern up.

Thanks!

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Immelu <<

Date: 12/5/12 7:01 AM

HERE IT IS Very pretty dress

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> I Don't Get How to Do This Neckline/Yoke/Collar Thing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Patrones Magazine 306-23

photo
by: Mikgirl

Review
You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.