SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > forming a bond ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
forming a bond
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/4/12 7:27 AM

When I make a quilt it's an experience filled with high drama. There are also things that go wrong, things that go ok and things that go perfect. Cos of this I form a bond with them. The one I'm currently working on is almost done. A little more quilting then binding which I've already made then done and off to it's new home to my best friend for the past 23 years. I know I will let it go but it will be difficult. All the experiences I experienced while making this quilt are woven in there. Quilts aren't just fabric and thread.

That being said I was cursing this hobby last night while quilting it on my Janome. I don't know how anyone can machine quilt anything bigger then a twin quilt using a regular machine. I was just stitching straight lines. Don't see how I could ever free motion. I need one of those teflon things or some spray silicon. It was wrestling all the way. After I was done that for the night you'd have thought I just got done playing a major sport in 100 degree weather.
-- Edited on 12/4/12 7:35 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 12/4/12 8:51 AM

Quote: quiltingwolf
When I make a quilt it's an experience filled with high drama. There are also things that go wrong, things that go ok and things that go perfect. Cos of this I form a bond with them. The one I'm currently working on is almost done. A little more quilting then binding which I've already made then done and off to it's new home to my best friend for the past 23 years. I know I will let it go but it will be difficult. All the experiences I experienced while making this quilt are woven in there. Quilts aren't just fabric and thread.

YES! Wolf, what an apt description!

I absolutely believe the love we pour into our quilts stays there for whomever will get to use it.

I always "feel" a bond with my quilts, and the person it's intended for. When I make blankets and quilts for Project Linus, I have an anonymous child in my head. A brand new Mommy with a sick baby. A boy who just lost everything in a storm.

------
Cathryn

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 11:10 AM

Is Project Linus still going on. I have a ton of quilting flannel

------

Honeybee
Honeybee
Beginner
Member since 11/12/05
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/4/12 12:12 PM

oh I will have to research Project Linus. I have not heard about that!

I agree---quilts are more than thread and fabric.

When I was in college I decided I was going to make me and my DH (then my boyfriend) a quilt to use for picnics. So I decided I would use the "ugliest" fabric I had, basic 6" squares and the only "design" was I made diagonals with all the fabric squares. Then to finish off I put some beautiful backing fabric that had white background and red flowers. Well by the time I finished piecing and quilting it---there was NO way I was going to put it on the ground/grass and possibly get grass stains, etc! lol!! Somewhere in the process I had bonded with my "ugly" quilt! So now we use it on our bed.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 12:57 PM

Is Project Linus still going on. I have a ton of quilting flannel

yes, Project Linus is a National organization and is still ongoing!

------
Cathryn

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/4/12 2:18 PM

I have the same stuff happen to me --but, I get so excited to get rid of the things -- get all that drama OUT of my house!

------
Quilting up a storm!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 12/4/12 2:47 PM

Yeah it's like a love/hate relationship. At point it's like I never want to see this again and on the other as you said my babies are leaving lol.

------

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/4/12 3:01 PM

Just emailed the local chapter leader. This might be something I could do.

------

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 3:04 PM

-- Oh yes -- I have room to feel BOTH!

I create them - and then they LEAVE!

------
Quilting up a storm!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 3:26 PM

Just emailed the local chapter leader. This might be something I could do.

Wolf you do what you can!

I go to meetings and sew labels on donated blankets.

I used up most of my small fleece pieces making rag-type fleece blankets. I have made a few quilts with materials I bought myself. BUT there is ALWAYS boxes and boxes of donated fabric at the meetings, so I have also made a few quilts with donated materials.

I used to make costumes on a volunteer basis for my girls' high school, and when the youngest graduated, this is my way of still using sewing, which I LOVE to do, to volunteer in my community.

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> forming a bond

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1170

photo
by: saranoemi

Review
Vogue Patterns 1300

photo
by: Westy85

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

More Info
De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.