SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Bobbin box threads for quilting ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bobbin box threads for quilting
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/4/12 6:49 PM

Do you store different brands of bobbin threads in different bobbin boxes so you know which brand and color is which?

For my Pfaff, all the bobbins are Guttermann.
On my Bernina 630, I now have Connecting Threads in 5 colors. Today I bought 2 spools of Superior Masterpiece thread.

I want to know which is which, so I am thinking of storing each brand of bobbin for piecing and fmq in different bobbin boxes. Each box would be marked for which brand of bobbin thread it is.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 12/4/12 6:54 PM

Learn, What a great idea. I just put my bobbins in with my quilting thread, but I screw up occasionally. I'll have to look around for another bobbin box. I would go mostly by color with my quilting bobbins, but maybe connect them to the thread spool with a pipe cleaner? Guess I'll add pipe cleaners to my list too!

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 7:38 PM

Great idea, and also about the pipe cleaners for keeping bobbin with the thread.

My sewing machines are far apart in age so I keep bobbins per machine versus threads. A Pfaff (hobby), old Viking workhorse, Green Elnas and a 67 Montgomery Wards.

Recently I bought cotton thread for quilting, but was told not to use it in my Pfaff?? Think I'll try the Viking or one of the Elna's first.

How are you going to do it?

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/4/12 7:52 PM

I am guilty of getting my bobbins all messed up. I sew with a lot of neutral colors and some brands have similar colors so it's hard to tell the difference. I have a geology hand loop (lens) and have used it to match bobbin thread to the spool thread. I realize that not everyone would have one of these lens lying about. But learn you have come up with an excellent idea.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 8:01 PM

I'm not particular about thread brand, although I don't think I have any substandard cheapies around. Those I might worry about... All of my machines can use any of my threads, so I just try to keep the correct bobbins with the right machines. For quilting, I'm lucky that several machines can share the same bobbins - Singers 115, 206D, 20U, and a badged Riccar rotary.

Sometimes I use finer bobbin thread or serger thread for dense FM work, and those I have to separate out so they don't get used for construction purposes.

BTW HDWen, why aren't you to use cotton in your Pfaff? Sounds fishy to me. ALL home use machines should be able to sew with any thread that is appropriate for home sewing projects. There are lots of situations where cotton is the best fibre choice.

Jennifer in Calgary
-- Edited on 12/4/12 8:04 PM --

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 8:16 PM

Each of my machines has its own bobbin box. I know which is which. I am going to take the box for my Pfaff bobbind and trade it for the Bernina box for bobbins. The blue one holds more bobbins than the clear one. I will not be using the Pfaff much anymore, so until I buy a couple more bobbin boxes, I will have to make a switch.

I really am trying to use better thread now and less lint. I did not think Guttermann was linty until I started using Aurifil. What a difference in less lint. Less lint means less cleaning and it better for the machine.

Any excuse to buy more thread...

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 9:01 PM

The conecting threads, thread storage box has enough room to keep the bobbin right next to its matching thread. That's what I've started to do especially since so many of my cotton and poly threads have similar colors

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to AminaHijabi <<

Date: 12/4/12 9:07 PM

Show me the box you mean, please. Sounds like a good idea, but I need a picture.

------
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/4/12 9:20 PM

I do, actually.

------
Barb

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 0:02 AM

I bought this box:

http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/tools/Double-Sided_Thread_Organizer___D82068.html

Probably have to cut and paste into your browser since I'm posting from my phone. Anyway, its an okay thread box, its perfectly made for their thread spools of course, but you can get other threads stored there as well.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Bobbin box threads for quilting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 3142

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Downloadable 01/2011 #130

photo
by: JustineSew...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.