Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Never hurts to look around... ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Never hurts to look around...
coverstitch machine prices
Angela64
Angela64  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/15/07
Login to reply to this post

Date: 12/4/12 9:15 PM

I went to a dealer to look at coverstitch machines. They didn't have a BL on display, but said they could order one and it would be $1499. That seemed a bit steep even for BL.. then they showed me the Janome1000cpx on display. I must say that the Janome looks nice... I mentioned that I had read a few people talking about skipped stitches, he said he never had that problem but the correct needle was a must, and demonstrated going over a thick seamed area and it did fine.

Any how, they said the price was $799, and that was the base price like on the internet. I said I would think about it, and came home and called another dealer about 15 miles away. They gave me a price of $599 - 200 lower! Wow... No, not such a fancy store, but then I'm not planning to go for multiple lessons.

So... I'm rethinking my decision to go for a BL. Money is kinda tight now, not sure I need to spend the extra 700+ dollars right now. Hard decision. The Janome really did a nice job when I tried it out, but I do love my BL serger.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09
online now

Date: 12/5/12 6:01 AM

Janome sounds like a money-wise solution.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

VictorianRose
VictorianRose
Expert/Couture
WA USA
Member since 11/10/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 12/5/12 8:44 PM

I was also considering a BL; however, I just can't justify the cost, so I went on a serious search. I found the Brother 2340CV online for $499 with 6 additional feet. I was ready to purchase, but decided to call my local dealer just to see if they could match that. Well, yes, they could match it, but they had a demo Elna 444 which is the same machine as the Janome 1000cpx. It hadn't been used all that much because no one in our area has been looking for a separate coverstitch machine. Well, I went in today and tested it out. It went over 4 thicknesses of jean material, knit, cotton, and fleece. I was sold right then and there and they even gave me 6 of the accessory feet at no additional cost. Money is tight for us too, so I went the most economical way and I know it will be the best way. This machine is amazing.

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/29/03

Date: 12/5/12 8:54 PM

Amazon has the Brother 2340 for $374.99 and is Prime eligible:

Brother at Amazon

Temptation!

------
~

Debby

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06

Date: 12/6/12 1:44 PM

I would test a Juki, too - they are high quality and sturdy. With a serger, I would try before you buy. I was very close to getting a Brother that people were raving about because I found a great price, but when I saw it in person I knew it wasn't the machine for me. Then again, many are happy with it!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09

In reply to Angela64 <<

Date: 12/6/12 8:44 PM

I'm awfully fond of BL sergers and the BLCS coverstitch machine, but the really important one to have, imo, is the BL serger. Which you already have.

For a coverstitch machine, if you like the Janome, and it does what you want, I'd go for it!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

chenille
star
chenille  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AK
Member since 7/4/11

Date: 12/7/12 1:33 AM

I have that Janome cover stitch and it does a great job. I rarely have to adjust the tension. The Janome brand ones are very expensive, I think the Brother ones are more reasonably priced. I can't compare,because I didn't have access to the Brother one.
Something else to look at is whether or not you may want accessories in the future, like binders.
I also have the Juki 735, and while I did test the cover stitch function and it was fine - there is not much bed space to work with. Looking back, I wish I had just got the 635 - still a 5 thread, but without cover stitch function. If you have the space and funds, a separate cover stitch machine is a real time saver.

Angela64
Angela64  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NV USA
Member since 7/15/07

Date: 12/7/12 1:47 AM

I ended up ordering the Janome CoverPro 1000cpx, and pick it up Friday the 7th! I was able to try it out and was quite pleased with how it handled a variety of fabrics. So excited!

KevenHester
KevenHester  Friend of PR
Beginner
TX USA
Member since 12/24/07

Date: 12/9/12 3:05 PM

LOL! This advice saved me a bunch today!

I work at night - all night, in fact. This week, I'm visiting my parents in Lafayette, Louisiana (that's south central LA). Anyway, as I crawled in bed at 1pm for my night's rest, I got to thinking about this discussion. So, I grabbed my cell phone and called the local Babylock retailer as I've been looking around for an Evolution. Boy, am I glad I did. My luck was amazing!

Today, from 1-4pm, they (Bayou Stitchin in Youngsville, LA), are having a Christmas open house. I just picked up my brand new (not a demo) Babylock Evolution for $2,100 out the door! I did a quick look around - looks like everything was about half price.

Yep, this time next year I won't happen into this big event - I'll plan for it! Maybe some of us can get together for lunch in the area and then go do our Christmas shopping. LOL!
-- Edited on 12/9/12 11:01 PM --

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10

In reply to KevenHester <<

Date: 12/9/12 3:32 PM

Wow, that's a good deal. One local dealer has demo Evolutions with warranty, and the 6 extra feet (I think) for $2699. Still too much for me.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Never hurts to look around...

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $29.00)
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Butterick 5351
photo
Review by 3kids1036 on 6/7/09
Read Review

Lolita Patterns Gunmetal
Lolita Patterns Gunmetal

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Angela Osborn Marion Skirt Digital Pattern (SS11-12-201)
Angela Osborn Marion Skirt Digital Pattern (SS11-12-201)

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Archer Shirt
Archer Shirt

Details
Price: $10.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns Laurel Laurel
photo
Review by Crystal Pl... on 4/30/13
Read Review

Jalie 2918 Pattern
Jalie 2918 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.75
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6743 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )
McCalls 6743 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN