SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Help...Tools for tracing patterns?

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help...Tools for tracing patterns?
What do you use, recommend?
sewpelican
sewpelican  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/18/11
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 9:39 AM

Although I have been sewing for many years, it's been a long time since I did much garment sewing. Now I will need to trace patterns and am wondering what tools, e.g. pens, pencil or other markers etc members currently use and find most helpful.

Thanks, look forward to learning about latest tools.

------
Joan
Sunshine Coast QLD

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 9:46 AM

i'll try to link
You can find other discussions on tracing paper. Just get some and trace away...I just use a black pen and exam paper.
-- Edited on 12/5/12 9:48 AM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

In reply to sewpelican <<

Date: 12/5/12 10:18 AM

I buy tracing paper by the roll from the art supply store. I like to use a quilters cutting mat and ruler to help line things up. I use the skinnier kind of sharpie for tracing and I use it to make notes on muslins too. (Why does the iPad always want to make muslins into Muslims?) I use colored pencils to mark alterations.

For fabric tracing I use a tracing wheel and those huge sheets of waxed tracing paper. I use the quilting type rulers for straight edges too.

------
Melanie

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to sewpelican <<

Date: 12/5/12 11:03 AM

I like to buy the tacing fabric in big rolls. It usually last me a year.
I just lay it over the pattern and trace my size. You can buy it at your local fabric store. To trace patter out with . A good no2 pencil. Soft lead. Or use a drawing pencil for the tracing.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/12 12:30 PM

Clear plastic dropcloths and Sharpies.

Cheep.
Crystal clear (easy to plan plaids or print)
Fold up super flat! A big plus for storage!

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 12:41 PM

4 mil. painters plastic from Home Depot and Sharpie. Works well for "tissue" fitting too.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 2:01 PM

I use tracing paper on a roll from Hobby Lobby (there was a link to similar stuff ion one of the discussions here). Mine isn't quite wide enough for everything, but I've only had a few patterns where I needed to tape on a teeny bit extra.

For pens, I like a double sided Sharpie. The wide (regular size) is good for the main outline, notches, and lengthen/shorten lines. The fine point side works for writing and darts. I've done circles w/ both sizes.

I also find the Styling Design Ruler (see below) very helpful in tracing patterns. I gives me confidence that I'm drawing a smooth line (yes, I'm a perfectionist, lol), and makes it much easier to connect different sizes (say a 12 shoulder/waist and 14 hip on a tunic). It even has a hole for tracing circles!

DollyS
DollyS
Advanced
Member since 11/7/05
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 2:31 PM

I purchased Swedish tracing paper online and have been using it for years. #2 pencil and a ruler is all you need.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 5:47 AM

I use exam paper or movers packing paper (love the large square width!). The ruler (image posted by Donna H) is a must have, along with a 2-1/2 inch wide, clear ruler used by quilters for cutting bias tape. Also I need a smaller 6-8 inch ruler or quilt ruler for smaller lengths. On paper I use a mechanical pencil- I find I erase alot! On muslin I use markers. I have a system to start with colors and use them in order of the changes. For me I start in black, alteration is green, next is blue, etc. If I am copying lines I use a tracing wheel and tracing paper or sometimes I pin down the pattern and remove a pins from a section. I lift the edges of the pattern until the line I need can be marked and use a black marker to trace along side of it.
I like the pattern paper from Nancy's Notions (or something similiar) to transfer a *keeper* size onto. It is lighter, lasts longer and stores easily in ziplocks.
But many of my dog patterns are on the movers packing paper and it's been 7 years for some and they have held up nicely.
-- Edited on 12/6/12 5:50 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 6:58 AM

I usually use one of the following - Burda pattern paper, comes in big sheets, pretty easy to see through, not cheap
pattern paper on a roll from my local fabric store - 3 euros for 10metres bit thicker than Burda but still you can see through
Morplan pattern drafting paper - sturdy, hard to see through, best to use with a tracing wheel or carbon
Swedish tracing paper is good but pricey, and garden fleece is a bit like it, much cheaper, not as easy to mark with lines.
Equipment I have is propelling pencils, sheets of carbon ( from stationers), tracing wheel - the spiky kind, double tracing wheel, two pencils stuck together with blue tack, ruler, flexible ruler.
Oh, I also have a piece of a thin foam stuff left over from going under wood floors which protects the table when I use the spiky tracing wheel.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Help...Tools for tracing patterns?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2012-118

photo
by: Kbenco

Review
My Image Magazine M1262

photo
by: westmoon

Review
Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now
J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

J Stern Designs The Hobo Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.