SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > please help me decide - janome or bernina? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
please help me decide - janome or bernina?
6600/7700 v 710
angeleyes88
star
angeleyes88
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/11/10
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 1:51 PM

My dear husband purchase my janome 5030 a few years ago after I mentioned to him that I wanted a better machine than my lightweight kenmore. It's a great machine but I love a new machine already. i mainly sew garments and home decor but would love to eventually get into quilting as well. I also eventually plan (5 years or so) on opening up a small home sewing business specializing in alterations and custom decor.

So after owing a janome and loving it I was gearing up to get my next janome machine. But I want to be sure this is the machine for me and thus I stumbled on berninas and have heard amazing reviews about them but is it really a better quality machine? I'm looking at the bernina 710 vs a janome 6600 or 7700 or is there really no comparison? I don't want an embroidery machine as I already have one so the 750 is out. the price tag of a bernina is surely price to me but if it's a machine that truly meet my needs and last for the next 20-30 years with minimal maintenance than it would be worth it.

I love the dual feed features of these machine and that's why I'm leaning on them. I have heard so many great reviews of the 6600 but the no freearm feature is kind of making me leery. then I have read some recent bad reviews and warranty problems with the 7700 janome. so now the bernina is making me curious. I don't want to regret this purchase especially when dh has already given me an unlimited budget but to make sure it's the one i really want and will use - he already said that he surely knows i will be able to make the money back.

------
http://sewchicmama.blogspot.com

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to angeleyes88 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/12 2:08 PM

I have owned both the 6600 and 7700 and now own a Bernina. In my experience, the Bernina's give better piercing power over thick seams. I loved my 6600 despite a few things I did not like. I've done a review on both the 6600 and 7700 here on PR if you want to read them.

I much prefer the dual feed on the Bernina's compared to the Janome's AcuFeed. It is so easy to engage and the stitch plates pop off instead of having to use a screw driver to take them off. I know nothing about the 7 series so I can't comment on the 710. Bernina offers mastery classes so you get to know how your machine works. These classes differ between dealers.

The best advice I can give you is go test all three machines. Take your own fabrics and thoroughly test them. You'll know which one will fit your needs by sewing on them. Remember a good dealer is an essential part of buying a sewing machine. You need to know they'll be there for you should any problems arise.

I am not sure any computerized sewing machine will last 20-30 years. Computer boards fail and parts need replaced. After time, parts are no longer available. I think Bernina makes parts for 15 -20 years after the last machine is sold. Routine yearly maintenance on any machine is a must, IMO, to keep any sewing machine in top working condition.
-- Edited on 12/5/12 2:11 PM --

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 3:12 PM

Well, Ripstitcher loves her 7700. I would say go test the machines. Also, remember that the Bernina will have the stellar LED lighting, and the very large bobbin, as well as the hover feature. Also compare number of stitches, etc.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/5/12 3:52 PM

You might want to check out the new Pfaff Creative only good reviews so far, and the Pfaff IDT consistently gets better reviews than Janome's equivalent. I like the Bernina 7 series, but like all things Bernina, those machines are obscenely overpriced.

angeleyes88
star
angeleyes88
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/11/10
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 12/5/12 4:01 PM

Quote: SouthernStitch
Well, Ripstitcher loves her 7700. I would say go test the machines. Also, remember that the Bernina will have the stellar LED lighting, and the very large bobbin, as well as the hover feature. Also compare number of stitches, etc.

what the hover feature?

------

SoWalQuilter

SoWalQuilter
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 1/26/07
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 4:14 PM

I've owned the 6600 and considered the 7700 before buying the Bernina 710.

The 6600 was not good over multiple (ok, 8 - I know, a little much to ask) layers of fabric at intersections, and the machine quilting was always just okay.

So far, the 710 has been fantastic. Maybe it's because the 710 is "simpler" because it will never embroider, but I have not had any of the problems that some people are reporting with the 750 and 780.

I got the Bernina for about $500 more than the 7700, and I think it's worth it.

------
Tina in Sowal
Bernina B710
Singer 301a
Singer 221 Featherweight
Singer 115 treadle

angeleyes88
star
angeleyes88
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/11/10
Send Message

In reply to SewBusy63 <<

Date: 12/5/12 4:20 PM

I'm totally confused as to the models i guess. I looked up the you currently have and it has the BSR but the newer models have a dual feed. are these the same? how do they compare to the janome dual feed? Does it move the fabric in the same manner or differently?

I also wanted to mention that I really appreciate all your reviews of sewing machines. I want to make sure the machine i buy is going to be the best for what I want/need. I'm not so sure that the 7700 can or will take the abuse that I will put through it. I will eventually sew on it 8-10 hours a day 4-5x a week. I know this is more industrial usage but I still like the feel of a domestic machine.

------

angeleyes88
star
angeleyes88
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/11/10
Send Message

In reply to SoWalQuilter <<

Date: 12/5/12 4:26 PM

Quote: SoWalQuilter
I've owned the 6600 and considered the 7700 before buying the Bernina 710.

The 6600 was not good over multiple (ok, 8 - I know, a little much to ask) layers of fabric at intersections, and the machine quilting was always just okay.

So far, the 710 has been fantastic. Maybe it's because the 710 is "simpler" because it will never embroider, but I have not had any of the problems that some people are reporting with the 750 and 780.

I got the Bernina for about $500 more than the 7700, and I think it's worth it.

I got a price for a janome 7700 and my dealer quoted me 1850 which is an awesome price but I truly doubt the bernina will even be close to that. The other thing that worries me about the janome is that they are discontinuing it ( possibly because of some of the problems?)

what are the prices in ontario for the bernina 710 at currently?

------

SoWalQuilter

SoWalQuilter
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 1/26/07
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 4:52 PM

1850 is a great price! My Janome dealer never budges off of price.

------
Tina in Sowal
Bernina B710
Singer 301a
Singer 221 Featherweight
Singer 115 treadle

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 5:22 PM

Dual feed is the built in "walking foot". Similar to the Janome's AcuFeed. To be honest, it's been more than 3 years since I've used the AucFeed so I cannot compare it to the Bernina. The Bernina's dual feed is easy to use. Once you have a dual feed foot on, you just pull down the dual feed lever and it sits behind the foot. I get great results with it. With several layers I would still recommend using a walking foot as it pulls the fabric on the top, not from the back. The BSR is for free motion quilting.

With the amount of sewing you plan to do, you might consider an industrial machine even though you like the feel of a domestic. Bernina has one.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> please help me decide - janome or bernina?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

McCall's 8574

photo
by: Trinity.

Review
Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

More Info
Serendipity Studio 94

photo
by: amandajewl...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.