SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Looks harder than it is -? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looks harder than it is -?
(I hope -)
PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/5/12 10:45 PM

I found some fabrics that I forgot I bought - I found some cheap Marimekko and had it tucked away.

I used two stripe fabrics to make this quilt - I think it looks pretty cool for a 1 block quilt with 2 fabrics.

(there is a solid red corduroy in the border) but - three fabrics total - and only 2 fabrics in the center.

I like it.

I have to put on a binding - and I might go through and SITD around every seam - a seam came out while I was sewing the top together - I hate it when that happens It makes me so paranoid.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Mc Donna
Mc Donna  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 1/2/10
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 12/5/12 11:05 PM

Wow! I love it...very cool.

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/12 11:11 PM

I really like the design and the colors. Just terrific!

But my gosh, I am really starting to feel like an Underachiever. How the heck do you manage to turn out so many darn quilts so quickly? Don't you ever sleep??????

It took me two full weekends just to whip up a set of pj's, coat and beret, and underwear for an American Girl doll. And you've managed to crank out about 6 quilts!

I'm impressed.

Kippy

PortlandMaine
star
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 12/5/12 11:41 PM

Thank you!

When I think about the three or so times I tried to make clothes ---I want to throw the sewing machine out the window! And you make them is american girl size? I could NEVER.

Never!

I dont have family or kids, I dropped outta school this semester -- I have more time on my hands than most people. And, I love quilting in all my spare time.

------
Quilting up a storm!

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 0:14 AM

It is an awesome quilt, Portland. I have a question is the Marimekko fabric the stripes - the lighter green or the red/green fabric. The piano border perfect! Corduroy nice.

A seam came out in the quilt I am pinning right now, the fabric frayed so quickly, I couldn't believe it, what a pita. Sometimes I just wonder if 1/2 inch seams would be better!

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/6/12 1:08 AM

A 1/2-inch seam would definitely work for piecing, as long as the finished size of the block or sub-unit is accurate. 3/8-inch might be a good compromise. I know that 1/4-inch seams are supposed to reduce bulk, but I also suspect that a lot of quilting "rules" originated when people hand-stitched quilt blocks and hand-quilted the finished quilt. I imagine that pushing a small hand needle through 3 layers of fabric near a seam line could give your hand cramps, eventually.

After my own trial and error in quilt making, I found that I prefer to sew the piecing seams with the stitch length set to 2.0. This is as small as I can go and still get a small seam ripper into individual stitches if I need to rip a seam. (I use the method where you slip the blade of the seam ripper into every third stitch and cut just the one stitch at a time. Work your way down the whole seam like that. Then you can gently lift one piece of fabric off the other with no distortion.)

I know some quilters think 2.0 is pretty small, but the seams hold together well if I sub-cut strip sets or if I sew and cut any blocks or sub-units with a "sew first, then cut apart" technique.

PortlandMaine: As to quilting that lovely stripey quilt, consider an "S" stitch for your stitch-in-the-ditch approach, if you have a machine that will do that. If you put the center of your presser foot on the ditch (or use a stitch-in-the-ditch-type foot with a center blade), the wavy "S" stitch will cross back and forth along the seam line. With a wavy stitch, if you're not exactly on the ditch, no one will ever know, AND the seam line will be stitched down and any splitting seams won't be a problem. I've done "wavy-in-the-ditch" and it looks just fine and really nails down those seams.

Or, try any decorative stitch that put stitches left and right of the center line. A decorative stitch often works better as a quilting stitch if you add some length and maybe some width to make the stitch pattern a bit more "airy".

Here's a photo example of the type of built-in or programed wavy stitch I'm thinking of Wavy Stitch.

CMC

PortlandMaine
star
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 4:42 AM

When I was cutting the first few set of blocks I did it a dumb way and it left the seam allowance smaller than 1/4 inch. So I was not surprised -- but still mad -- when it happened with the seam.

Bother the red stripe and the green mottled fabric where the M. fabric. The corduroy was not.

I did try to go over seams with a large "S" when I was FMQ. I only have a ss machine.

Every quilt I make has some issue like that keeping me from feeling its as high quality as I would like. That is frustrating. But - keep moving forward.

------
Quilting up a storm!

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 5:09 AM

I think we have the next Ricky Tims in the making here! Your quilts definitely have a very distinctive personality to them, this one is great!

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

PortlandMaine
star
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/6/12 6:24 AM

HA HA HA --

How many layers of funny is it that you said that -- AND -- that my first thought was "maybe I can get a bernina named after me like alex anderson!" -- HA HA HA

Of all the people .. LOL

The "taffy pulls" edition -- it would have to have a 62 oz drink holder on board and a small mirror for lipstick application!

Thank you though. I appreciate it.

------
Quilting up a storm!

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 9:15 AM

I love your quilt! The corduroy is a great idea for added texture!

I used to live in Sacco wayyyy back in 1988 and ran an inn in Kennebunkport--beautiful area and loved going into Portland to walk around and enjoy the restaurants. I probably wouldn't recognize the area today.

------
Carpe diem!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Looks harder than it is -?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 82155-1005

photo
by: rivergum

Review
You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Laptop Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Butterick 5145

photo
by: guineveres...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.