SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Anyone have the new BabyLock Spirit? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anyone have the new BabyLock Spirit?
Mrs. Dink
Mrs. Dink
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/6/12 10:38 AM

I currently have the Viking 300 Embroidery Machine which I have a love hate relationship with (love the machine; hate the reader/writer card transfer hoopla). The 3D reader/writer box and 3D computer program has hiccups sometimes and will not transfer or transfers only half the embroidery....grrrr. The machine and reader/writer box is about 8 years old...purchased brand new. I am considering to upgrade to a new machine with a USB A/B port...but my rationale side tells me to save money, just purchase a new reader/writer box and program. Anyhow I'm trying to educate myself about current machines to see if it's worth it to purchase a new one. I have read about the new Babylock Spirit. Anyone own one or have input? Dealers in my area do not have them in stock....apparently they are selling quick and don't last long in the stores...so I have been told.
-- Edited on 12/6/12 10:49 AM --
-- Edited on 12/6/12 4:03 PM --

------
Brother XL3200, Brother CE4000, Viking Scandinava 300 Embroidery/Sewing, Janome MC6600P Sewing/Quilting

Mrs. Dink
Mrs. Dink
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 4:05 PM

OMG! Just found how much the Babylock Spirit is going for...$4999. Is this a fair price?

------
Brother XL3200, Brother CE4000, Viking Scandinava 300 Embroidery/Sewing, Janome MC6600P Sewing/Quilting

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 8:45 PM

It seems high.

The Ellisimo Gold can be had for $7,000 easily... and I've read that some have gotten it for about $6,500.

So comparing those two machines, seems that is a high price for not getting all the bells and whistles that are on/come with the EG.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Tool junkie at heart!

Bernina 880 Sterling Edition & Bernina 550qe

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 5:48 AM

I have no idea why BL is demanding such high price points- unless to start negotiations. They quoted me $400 for the Molly, just not worth it to me.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 9:56 AM

Sandi...

I think all the brands are that way (high, out-of-this-world MSRPs).

It's just up to each dealer how they want to play the game.

I had a dealer call me yesterday that got my number from a sewing expo back in July. The gal was nice enough... she wanted to see if I had any interest in a multi-needle machine (Brother).

So given that *she* called *me*, I figured it was fair game to ask her what they were **really** priced at.

Right off the bat... comes the "with a trade-in, the price is ______" .

Oh, bite me. Gosh, I hate this game with the MSRPs and trade ins.

Funny how when I said that I'm not interested in giving up anything I own, but I'd buy without financing (just to see the real price, hopefully) the price she gave **with** trade in dropped another $500 - with no trade in needed.

That d*mn trade in game just to talk the discount they should be giving anyway irritates the behooobies out of me.

------

Tool junkie at heart!

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 10:08 AM

Oh... just wanna say....

There is a gal in my quilting group that just bought an EG at a show (Houston?) last month instead of buying locally.

She got sucked in to the pitch all over some crazy inflated value of something like $2,000 worth of embroidery designs.

She paid about $1,500 more for her machine and got less than I got in the way of threads, accessory feet, etc. I got the same dumb, HUGE cd holder "full of designs" (that I'll probably never use) as she did. (being sarcastic on the "huge" - it's a ridiculously sized "book" like holder that holds about 4 CDs... marketing crap, IMO.)

It's so important to know the base street selling prices of these machines and also know what you want out of the deal.

I could have bought my EG for $7k. I paid $8k, but got 100 spools of Floriani (which I wanted instead of Madeira) - $600, an accessory bag with 21 more feet - $584, that dumb "book" of designs - worthless to me - but that's what's got a $2,000 value slapped on it, a Koala chair - which I exchanged out for the 5x7 hoop and Inspiration Guide - $200, and $500 John Deer subscription as well as 4 design packs from Janet Samson (which are beautiful) - $400. Also included were the goodies I got from the event itself - another 100 spools of Madeira, the thread chest, & quite a few more freebie designs.

Oh... and I got the 3 year Gold Care-Whatever-They-Call-It warranty plan.

And 48 month interest free financing. (almost forgot to say that!)

So I'm saying all of this just to illustrate that it's important to know what you're going after.

Lastly, which I think is just stupid, is that the gal that bought at Houston should be almost ashamed to take a class at this local dealer after she basically didn't even give them the consideration of shooting her an offer before she bought impulsively at the show. (I'm gonna get letters on that one! lol) But honestly, I think it is important to support local businesses when you're dealing with purchases of this nature.

------

Tool junkie at heart!

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

Mrs. Dink
Mrs. Dink
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/8/12 0:57 AM

RipStitcher,
Just this week I experienced "with trade in, the price is...." game. Unreal! I was quoted one price and once I mentioned that I would not be trading...guess what?...the price went up $500! Ouch.
After much research and considering my needs vs. my wants, I have decided to work with what I have. Which is a Viking 300 my DH bought for me 8 years ago. It works great but my 3D software and reader/writer card is a little challenging to say the least. I just need to research other software and reader/writer devices to run my Viking.

Thank you for your input.
Mrs. Dink

------

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/8/12 7:00 AM

Just a quick question... did they even ask for what specific machine you'd be trading in?

(seems that's not part of the question, most of the time - so that lets you know that it's just a game to take the number down from MSRP)

------

Tool junkie at heart!

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger

Mrs. Dink
Mrs. Dink
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/8/12 12:32 PM

The salesperson knew I owned a viking 300 but I clearly indicated at the beginning it was a gift from my DH. I did not state I was trading. Also...interesting thing is that she was the one who sold the Viking 300 to my husband 8 years ago...she actually remembers him...because she said not many husbands come in to purchase a machine for their wives.

------

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 12/9/12 0:57 AM

Don't know what is up with the trade in because generally, we don't want someone's trade in because we are going to have to put money into it to get it ready to resell. It does get you a better bottom line price but many factiors go into what we have to charge for the machine. Some dealers get better deals on the machines they buy to resell. That gives them more "wiggle room" when it comes to price. Also, financing COSTS THE DEALER-especially the 48 month plans so that comes off any profit the dealer makes. Cash or check is always better-even credit cards are charged a fee. I just got an email ad from a dealer who actually spelled it out in their ad:"DON'T USE financing and save $50-$1000 on certain models". It seems like Babylock always charges more for their machines even though they may be "twins" with a Brother machine. Go figure.

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Anyone have the new BabyLock Spirit?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

New Look 6006

photo
by: MissMarnie

Review
Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Jamie Christina Abbey Coat Pattern (JC314AC)

Buy Now
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.