SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Can you turn off the machine and continue later? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can you turn off the machine and continue later?
Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

Date: 12/6/12 11:49 PM

Seems like I'm posting questions everyday...
I really appreciate all your help!
I check the board or google but sometimes can't find an answer...

So this is the third day with my Brother PE-500, and it was flowing fine until today.
It seemed like I was getting all kinds of problems.
I've broken 4 needles(!) because the upper thread was getting caught at the "notch" of the spool (where they keep the thread end when you first buy it), or the thread gets tangled in the bobbin case...

Through all the problems, I kept the machine on to change needles, etc so I don't lose my place and at least finish the color.
After the color is done, I turned the machine off and took the bobbin case out to clean it out.

Now the machine doesn't let me go back to where I was and I have to start everything over.
It seems like such a waste of a project!! The fabric and stitching is just fine, I just need to continue from the next color!

(BTW I know what caused the problem... I'm using all purpose thread while I wait for the embroidery thread set in the mail.)

Edited...
Sorry, I found a section in the manual how to do this...
I wish I can delete the post!
-- Edited on 12/6/12 11:56 PM --

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/7/12 5:32 AM

We have all been through some difficult days. It's usually those times that we learn so much about ourselves and our machines- patience, endurance, knowledge acquisition, problem resolution, etc.
Your story is very inspiring. I can't imagine how big your smile will be the day your embroidery threads arrive!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mikgirl <<

Date: 12/7/12 7:04 AM

some of the higher end machines will keep your place. think 5K and up but I don't believe that one will. You shouldn't need to clean out the bobbin case in the middle of a design. All purpose thread shouldn't really cause you a problem. I would think you could clean out the machine while it's on.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

happiness5
happiness5
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 8:43 AM

I have a Pfaff CV and it will allow me to stop, turn off my machine, then turn it on later and pick up where I left off. I've never tried to use this feature because I tend to make a lot of mistakes when embroidering anyway and I'd probably not follow the directions quite right and mess it up.

Harriet P.
Harriet P.
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 8:53 AM

HI, If you use an end cap, which is included with your machine, in order to keep the spool of thread unwinding without catching on the notch, it will work better. The end cap should be a little larger than your spool of thread. Another way to take care of the problem of the thread sticking at the notch might be to use one of those thread stands that you put behind your sewing machine.
You can stitchout a design and stop after you have sewn a color, but you have to keep going throug your design on the led screen until you are back to where you left off in the embroidering process. The only way you can match the design though is to begin embroidery desing in the center mode, because that is where the defult will be. If you have moved the design in order place it other than the center, it will be very hard to line the design back up exactly where you left off.
Harriet

Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 9:40 AM

Thank you for all your comments!
That's so nice of you, considering I could just find the answer in the manual!

Yes, the problem wasn't the all-purpose thread... It was the end cap like Harriet suggested.
I had a smaller thread spool to start with, and didn't change the end cap when the next thread was a bigger spool. I didn't even know the end caps came in different sizes until I looked through the accesory bag!

The machine did let me go back to where I was.
Either by the color, or by the stitch number (if I was to write it down when I stopped my project).
at least I finished one color so I could go back and finish it.

Oh the problems yesterday, mostly by operator error...
But you are right, I did learn so much from it, and I'm glad the machine wasn't broken!!
(At one point I thought I needed to return it for a repair...)

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 9:51 AM

If you don't want to mess with the end cap (and I rarely bother putting mine on my machine) ... then at the very least, turn your spool around so that the notched end is facing away from the direction the thread is feeding the machine.

As for turning off the machine... If you are just working on a stock design (meaning you haven't changed any sizes, etc) you can just make a note of what color change number you're on before you shut the machine off. Say you just completed thread change #5. Then when you return to the machine and turn it on... if it doesn't remember where you are, you know you just need to advance to #6 and take off where you left off.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mikgirl <<

Date: 12/7/12 9:53 AM

Don't worry things take time to learn. I've been doing this for 9 years and am still learning stuff. Another hint if you do have to stop the machine for let's see this happens to me, bobbin gets low, be careful when moving the hoop. I'v had the hoop pop open more then once and there's not way back from that.

------

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Mikgirl <<

Date: 12/7/12 9:54 AM

Don't worry things take time to learn. I've been doing this for 9 years and am still learning stuff. Another hint if you do have to stop the machine for let's see this happens to me, bobbin gets low, be careful when moving the hoop. I've had the hoop pop open more then once and there's no way back from that.
-- Edited on 12/7/12 9:54 AM --

------

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/7/12 11:15 AM

New or pro, the user needs to learn the machine before jumping into a project.

When compared to down time and ruined projects, this does not take very much time:

You will need embroidery thread, embroidery bobbin thread, fabric, stabilizer, snips and the MANUAL.

Sit down at the machine with the manual. Start at page 1 and go all the way through, step by step. Read and apply each step of every feature. No skipping or going on pictures alone.

This will take you from bobbin winding through general maintenance.

Good luck and best wishes for many successful projects.

-- Edited on 12/7/12 11:23 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Can you turn off the machine and continue later?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

McCall's m4769

photo
by: Alinka.thi...

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 295008-1001

photo
by: sunnysewin...

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Petite Plus 204 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.