SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > What happened to plain old fashioned sheets? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What happened to plain old fashioned sheets?
White Percale Fitted Sheets
Sew Cool

Sew Cool
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/28/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/8/12 10:49 PM

Hi all, maybe someone can give me some advice. Years ago it was easy to buy bed sheets. Percale was the way to go. Muslin sheet aways seemed not quite as good and they also seemed to pill. 200 thread count Percale purchased at a department store did the trick.

Now here is my problem I care for a special needs person and just want to buy good quality percale sheets and not have to spend over $75.00 for a queen set. It would also be nice if I could just buy fitted sheets, as this is what gets the most wear. I have a vast assortment of pillow cases that never get used.

I have read everything there is to read about thread count and know in order to woo the consumer the thread count has continued to increase to around 1500.

I am to the point where I am thinking of going to the Fashion District in Los Angeles and buying an entire roll of very good quality sheeting and making my own.

So Cool

Diana M
star
Diana M
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/19/04
Send Message

Date: 12/8/12 10:57 PM

I just found some today (looking for the same thing, except in double size) at landsend.com and at overstock.com. Used 'cotton percale' as search term at both sites.

------
Sewing fills my life. And my living room, and bedroom, and closets, and car . . .
-----------------------------------
The advantage of a food allergy is that I get to choose the restaurant.

idahodogs
star
idahodogs
Advanced Beginner
ID USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/8/12 11:51 PM

I buy sheets at Ross in the mall - it usually takes me a few tries to find what I want, but eventually I do. It helps if you are not too picky about colors. You can get sets or individual sheets. I think a Queen set is usually about $30, so you ought to find single sheets for much less.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/9/12 9:30 AM

Also remember that the higher the thread count, the less ability for the cotton to breath. So if you are one of those 'hot' ladies, you stay cooler with lower thread count.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/9/12 11:48 AM

Percale is really hard to find these days. I found a set at Tuesday Morning for $35.00,
Penneys has a poly/cotton blend percale
that don't wrinkle, but I think they're only in sets. You might be able to make the top sheet into a fitted depending on the mattress thickness.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 12/9/12 12:02 PM

I found some nice 400 and 600 count cotton sets(queen) at Kohl's last year for less than $50. Nice and smooth and comfortable. I like the 400 TC the best.

aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 12/9/12 1:18 PM

I didn't think about the sheets with the higher thread counts being too hot. That's good to know.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Beginner
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Sew Cool <<

Date: 12/9/12 2:16 PM

I remember once seeing an episode of "The Shopping Bags" (a Canadian TV show where they test products) where people were given the choice between different 100% cotton sheets, ranging from lower thread-count to super-high thread-count -- they didn't show them the labels, just let them lie down on the sheets to see what they thought. Almost everyone picked a medium-high count sheet because it had the right balance of softness and crispness. It wasn't the most expensive one -- it was mid-priced. Most people didn't like the highest-count one nearly as well, because it wasn't as soft.

-- Edited on 12/9/12 2:20 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Irene

Irene  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/03
Send Message

Date: 12/9/12 2:56 PM

A few years ago, when I was seeking inexpensive flat sheets, Ikea had just what I needed: neutral colored cotton sheets, sold as individual "components" (flat sheets, fitted sheets, pillowcases in separate packages).

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Sew Cool <<

Date: 12/9/12 6:41 PM

A year or more ago, I bought two sets of new Percale sheets from LL Bean. They've done very nicely.
LLBean Percale Fitted

I did a "Search" of the Message Boards here using the word Percale, and found a few old discussions about sheets. That's how I learned about these. There was another online/catalog vendor, perhaps The Company Store(?), that PR members liked their Percale sheets.

You might want to give the search function here a try.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> What happened to plain old fashioned sheets?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.