SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Home Dec. Sewing > Sewing Upholstery Fabric ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing Upholstery Fabric
need some tips
schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 11:33 AM

With the arrival of my first grandchild just 8 weeks away, I'm gearing up to finish some nursery projects. I have some chenille-type upholstery fabric to recover the seat and back cushions of a glider. It's been about 12 years since I sewed this kind of fabric and I'm using different machines this time, too. I have a Babylock Ellegante, Janome DC3018, Brother CE5000PRW, and a Brother XL5340 (mechanical). I also have a Brother 1034 serger.
Which machine will most likely handle up to four layers of this fabric (front & back plus piping)? What tension adjustments? What type of thread? Any other suggestions for this small project?

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 12/10/12 7:23 PM

By using a mechanical. you will be taking stress of your other computerized machines.. just a general rule.
But... look first to the motor size.. the more powerful the motor.. the more likely it won't stress with thick layers..
Use the thread the machine likes best.. but I do try to use cotton thread on cotton materials and so on..
Be sure and clean out the bobbin area frequently.. with chenilles its a must.
Am bumping this up too so maybe some others can help you. its a bit late in my day to be offering any advise..

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 11:14 PM

I reupholstered my couch a few years ago and I use my old Brother mchanical. She had no problems. I did not have to adjust the tensions at all. YMMV

I used upholstery thread and either a 16 or 18 needle, I don't remember which.

I agree with cleaning the machine often when using chenille.

Debbie

Vonnevo
starstarstarstar
Vonnevo  Friend of PR
Advanced
Australia
Member since 10/25/04
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 12/11/12 2:21 AM

Quote: schmammy
With the arrival of my first grandchild just 8 weeks away, I'm gearing up to finish some nursery projects. I have some chenille-type upholstery fabric to recover the seat and back cushions of a glider. It's been about 12 years since I sewed this kind of fabric and I'm using different machines this time, too. I have a Babylock Ellegante, Janome DC3018, Brother CE5000PRW, and a Brother XL5340 (mechanical). I also have a Brother 1034 serger.

Which machine will most likely handle up to four layers of this fabric (front & back plus piping)? What tension adjustments? What type of thread? Any other suggestions for this small project?

Congratulations on being a Grandma2Be
I am not familiar with the machines you have - different country.
I sew Upholstery fabric with any of my Janome machines though.
My DIL had a similar chair for my GD and used it a lot - plus the nursing pillow - I think in the US they are called a Boppy Pillow and Simplicity have a pattern for the cover. I made a few for my DIL and she (and both Nana's) found they really prevented the arm ache - her chair and pillow were two favourites.

------
Vonne šOš Brisbane Australia
---------------------------------
Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 6:57 PM

Once again, PR buddies come to my rescue! Thank you so much! I'm going to sew some samples on both the Brother and Janome. Stay tuned...

------

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 8:11 PM

I have a different (probably older) Brother mechanical, and that thing will sew through brick. LOL If yours is anything like mine, I wouldn't hesitate to do any kind of upholstery on it. (Its claim to fame was making 5 large dog crate pads from 2 layers of thick, Biederlack-type acrylic blankets and 2" thick eggcrate foam. Ran through 'em like buttah!)

------
~Gem in the prairie

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 12/11/12 8:36 PM

Sounds like my old Brother. Mines a Festival from the mid 70's. Yours?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Debbie

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/12/12 5:28 PM

Bargain basement Black Friday buy (Walmart) back in 1996. Don't know the model--think it's one of the LX-somethings? Fabulous little workhorse--straight and zig-zag only--and I sewed on it for 12 years before upgrading to my Viking. It loved anything heavy duty, but didn't care much for delicates. :b

------
~Gem in the prairie

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/24/12 11:04 AM

Update: As I was setting up the Brother, I had this niggle of a thought...I seemed to remember I have yet another machine. Then I realized I have a BL 1550 that I bought from an elderly woman several years ago. I'd forgotten about it because I stored it inside the Janome box (the Janome lives inside a machine tote)!

I put the Brother away and did all the upholstery sewing on the BL and adored the way that little jewel handled the task! I had seriously been considering a Juki mechanical...so GLAD I remembered I had this one. Yay me!

------

Selina
star
Selina
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/23/06
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 12/26/12 2:50 PM

If you can (and haven't done this already) I would highly recommend serging all the seams, especially on chenille. Even if the items aren't designed to be washed the serging will help to keep the fabric from ravelling and the seams coming apart.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Home Dec. Sewing >> Sewing Upholstery Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2010-104

photo
by: olgarosita

Review
Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

More Info
Claire Handbag

Claire Handbag

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.