SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Quilts at Colonial Williamsburg VA ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Quilts at Colonial Williamsburg VA
Tips Please
anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 4:48 PM

Last weekend we went to Colonial Williamsburg and stayed at the inn. There I saw multiple quilts. There was one store that sells antique quilts. They were so LOVELY! I had asked if I could take a picture and the sweet lady kindly said no :-(

Well now I am very much interested in quilting and want to try hand quilting.. Any suggestions on where to start?

Also, I need a machine - a better one for quilting. Currently I have a B330. The harp is too tight - yes I quilted wall hangers, lap sizes on that machine and the machine size bothers me. I know what I want in a machine - needle up and down, adjustable pressure foot, and a thread cutter (Automatic cutter would be great!) My budget would be $1000-$1500 but preferably less than $1000. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Anne

------
Live what you preach

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to anne123184 <<

Date: 12/10/12 7:34 PM

Anne, you can easily start on the machine you have. I don't quilt my own large quilts because they are just too cumbersome- and the price to get them done on a big machine is reasonable compared to my time and frustration. Check out the sewing machine threads too as many post there.

Most of us usually say- go try any machines you can reasonably drive to. Just because I love a machine doesn't make it right for you. I hate automatic thread cutters- others couldn't live without them. I cant use a knee control and others swear by them. Prices on good used machines are usually better than new machine prices- but that depends on where you live.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect machine.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 7:47 PM

For the machine, have you looked at the Juki F Series? I think (but cannot swear as I do not have that machine) that the 600 has all of those things. You could find it for $1000 or even less, leaving you more money for fabric.

If I were in the market for a machine I would start there. I am entranced by the box movement of the feed dogs and I think that it would be wonderful to piece on.

There are a lot of books on quilting, including on hand quilting, at your library. That is an excellent resource for beginners.

------
Barb

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 8:15 PM

I think there are several machine that would fit your needs. I bought my Janome 6600 because I wanted a big machine so that I could eventually get into quilting. I did my first quilt (in 20 years) recently and the 6600 was amazing! I had plenty of room and used the accufeed when I did the quilting. I just stitched in the ditch-I will have to practice FMQ before I tried it on a quilt. I went to look at lots of machines before I decided on the 6600. I paid $1500 last spring for my machine (with some quilting extras thrown in). The Janome 6500 is the same machine without the attached accufeed and a couple of people have recently talked about buying the 6300 (same platform fewer stitches and no accufeed). I went and looked at many machines before buying this one. You might not like what I like. I encourage you to go and look. I think there are some Brothers and Babylocks in that price range too and maybe even one that does embroidery if you are interested in that. Good luck searching-I had fun looking for a machine.

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Sharon1952 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/10/12 8:16 PM

Quote: Sharon1952
Anne, you can easily start on the machine you have.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect machine.

I know. But not able to adjust the pressure foot bothers me and the harp size. Also, it is Christmas and my birthday month so I have the go signal from the hubby :-)

LIBRARY! I forgot about that. Thanks so much!!

Anne

------
Live what you preach

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 8:26 PM

I too highly recommend the Janome 6600 or 6500. I want to add that for the price they are feature rich machines. While this is a slightly older model it is an excellent machine for quilting.
-- Edited on 12/10/12 8:29 PM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 8:52 PM

Never turn down a go signal!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 8:56 PM

You could also consider one of the straight stitch only machines which have loads of room to the right for quilting. I know you can get the Juki TL2010Q, Brother 1500 or Janome for right at $1000 or less.
Though you won't get zig zag or any deco stitches, these machines have the other criteria, and are great for quilting.
-- Edited on 12/10/12 8:57 PM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Sharon1952 <<

Date: 12/10/12 10:17 PM

Quote: Sharon1952
Never turn down a go signal!

Wow he said get the machine that I want and we will just finance if needed!! wow.. thinking of the bernina 750 or 8 series... Maybe the Pfaff QE4.. will have to check out dealers this week!!

Anne

------
Live what you preach

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 12/10/12 11:03 PM

What a Good man!!!

I'm using a Pfaff Hobby, and was surprised when I read the manual and found I could change the Pressure on feed dogs lol It has a fairly small harp and so far I've only done up to about twin size.

I'd rather fight the harp and spend TONS on fabric, so I haven't asked for a new machine -- yet :-) I have 5 or 6, but all but the Pfaff are old stable clunkers.

You are going to have a BLAST!!! Enjoy shopping and hope you find just what suits you

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Quilts at Colonial Williamsburg VA

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Vogue Patterns 1224

photo
by: SewPrinces...

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.